So my UX1 has kicked the bucket, sadly. The instrument input died, and a bit before that had become incredibly noisy, along with the headphone jack. It served me well for almost two years, so I'm not too bummed.

Now I need an interface to replace it. I only have a few requirements:
I don't have firewire so it needs to be USB
Needs midi i/o
Two mic/instruments ins
Phantom power not a necessity but definitely a plus

That said my knowledge of preamps is almost none, I know a few brands that are known for great preamps (apogee, RME) but past that I have no idea what to look out for.

The two interfaces I see recommended the most are the Focusrite Saffire 6 and the Presonus audiobox. I also saw the Focusrite Scarlett 8i6. Its usb 2, though I'm not sure how that compares to usb 1 as far as interfaces are concerned. I couldn't find any reviews on it either.

Any thoughts on the Scarlett 8i6? I just want to be able to record some nice sounding DI guitar, for now, and use my electronic drums/keyboard for midi.
For Frodo!
Quote by jrcsgtpeppers
No because a world full of marbles silly man is just as real as a half empty glass of microwaved nesquik.
After a bit more research it seems the Audiobox's preamp is a bit weak. So it looks like its between the saffire 6 and the new Scarlett 8i6, thoughts?
For Frodo!
Quote by jrcsgtpeppers
No because a world full of marbles silly man is just as real as a half empty glass of microwaved nesquik.
Quote by FireHawk
Focusrite is a winner for sure. I can't think of Scarlett of top of head but I know the savvier is pretty legit.

Both are made by Focusrite. I think both use the same, or at least comparable, mic pre. The difference is USB 2.0 vs 1.1 and the scarlett has more i/os. The saffire has been around a lot longer, I'm not really sure what to expect with the scarlett.
For Frodo!
Quote by jrcsgtpeppers
My new laptop doesn't come for another 2 or so weeks and I'm not going to get a new interface until then. Some more opinions would be great.
For Frodo!
Quote by jrcsgtpeppers
Does your new laptop have firewire? The firewire Focusrites kick ass, great pre-amps and convertors for the money.

You should have a look at the new Apogee Duet 2, I've heard some promising stuff about it and it's USB. Also you'll want USB2.0, that way your interface will have lower latency.
Quote by AdamG313
Does your new laptop have firewire? The firewire Focusrites kick ass, great pre-amps and convertors for the money.

New laptop does not have firewire, but it does have usb 2/3. Does the usb focusrite use the same pre amps and converters as the firewire one?

Quote by AdamG313
You should have a look at the new Apogee Duet 2, I've heard some promising stuff about it and it's USB. Also you'll want USB2.0, that way your interface will have lower latency.

I thought Apogee was mac only. The duet2 is a bit out of my price range anyway.
For Frodo!
Quote by jrcsgtpeppers
Quote by robertito696
New laptop does not have firewire, but it does have usb 2/3. Does the usb focusrite use the same pre amps and converters as the firewire one?

The only difference between the firewire and usb systems is that the firewire units have a DSP mixer.

Quote by robertito696
I thought Apogee was mac only. The duet2 is a bit out of my price range anyway.

It is, my bad
Quote by AdamG313
It is, my bad

No problem. I read that someone got one to work with Linux though.
For Frodo!
Quote by jrcsgtpeppers
Quote by AdamG313
The only difference between the firewire and usb systems is that the firewire units have a DSP mixer.

What exactly is a DSP mixer? I googled it and didn't get anything very helpful. The new Scarlett interfaces by Focusrite are usb 2.0 and have dsp mixers, I'm just not what exactly it is they do/what the benefit is.

EDIT: Figured out what a dsp mixer is.

The MOTU microbook recently caught my eye. Anyone have any experience with one?
For Frodo!
Quote by jrcsgtpeppers
Last edited by robertito696 at Aug 10, 2011,
"I had the opportunity yesterday to do a little A/ B demo with the Focusrite Saffire 6 USB interface VS. the Tascam US 144 MKII . The sonic quality of the two was not even close. The Saffire 6 sounded full , open , with great detail ... even with the file boosted 3 db on the Tascam it still didn't come close , sounded like there was a blanket over the mic . 3 engineers, a veteran store owner and myself all agreed instantly.... I love when demos go like that . Not to mention that the Saffire 6 comes with the EXCITE bundle of loops and samples . Focusrite mic pres and interfaces make a huge difference ." Just areview I read before I bought my Saffire6 USB(no firewire), but would not go that way anways, USB 3.0 will be taking over! Would like to know the difference between sound on the Scarlett, and Saffire, get more ins, but my USB 6 is great, and left a little over for other goodies,good luck!
'10 Epiphone Les Paul Custom(Alp.Wht.)w/coil-tapping, PRS Paul Allender, Cort SJ-10 elec/acoust., Tradition(LP copy),Focusrite Saffire 6, JBL mon., Akai MPK25, Sonar 8.5.3 PE, Guitar Rig 4 Pro, HP dv6 DuoCore2, Windows 7 x64 .Sonar X1 PE
^Thanks for the input.

I think I'm going for the Saffire 6. I shouldn't need to record more than two tracks, and for that USB 1.1 should be fine. AFAIK the saffire6 and scarlett 8i6 use the same pres/converters anyway. The 8i6 is a bit more versatile though, I may change my mind.

Anyway, while I agonize over that, I read somewhere that the Blackstar HT-5 can be used to record through the FX Loop send without being connected to load. Can anyone confirm this? I'd rather not be the guinea pig to fry his OT.

EDIT: I emailed Blackstar. You can safely use the emulated output without a load, though they don't expressly recommend it, but the fx loop method does require a load.
For Frodo!
Quote by jrcsgtpeppers
Last edited by robertito696 at Aug 12, 2011,
Don't worry about the 1.1USB, I have mine running through XLR connected JBL Control2P monitors which are 35 watts, and through Apmlit. or Guit. Rig 4, you dont need an amp, they are loud, I know they are not for that purpose, just saying, good interface and monitors=good sound!
'10 Epiphone Les Paul Custom(Alp.Wht.)w/coil-tapping, PRS Paul Allender, Cort SJ-10 elec/acoust., Tradition(LP copy),Focusrite Saffire 6, JBL mon., Akai MPK25, Sonar 8.5.3 PE, Guitar Rig 4 Pro, HP dv6 DuoCore2, Windows 7 x64 .Sonar X1 PE
How does the Saffire 6 get along with Windows 7 64bit?
For Frodo!
Quote by jrcsgtpeppers
Was up and running in 5 minutes, no shit. I used the driver from the CD, but might want to check website for updates. Rock solid for me. I also use GTP4 32 bit, but usually Sonar 8.5.3x64 PE. Also comes with some nice "extras" loops, samples Novation Bass Station, and a plug-in Suite off the top of my head. But it is the sound that sold me. Good luck with whatever ya get.
^Awesome. That was my only last minute concern. GC has is having a sale so I can get it for $170. Should be a nice improvement from my ux1.
For Frodo!
Quote by jrcsgtpeppers
You'll love it, my best purchase, besides my Epiphone!