Has anybody taken this?

i have a couple months to make my decision of going onto masters, workforce, or MBA, and the more i think of it the more MBA seems like a smart decision.

Im currenty in mech engineering, and my uncle whos a mech eng that is just retiring, recommended i go into MBA as soon as its possible.

So yeah, any words of wisdom?
Sell and Promote your music TuneHub!

wy is yer mad at muy gramhar fer?

Quote by jimmyled
jimmybanks youre a genius.

aparently i ar smrt?
Quote by dyingLeper
jimmybanks youre a genius

GO SENS GO
Quote by crazysam23_Atax
Go take your MBA. You'll probably have a better chance of getting a good-paying job.

well thanks to family already in the engineering industry, thats not really a problem

but with your mba you can climb the corporate side apparently, something i think would suite me.

Quote by jimmyled

aparently i ar smrt?
Quote by dyingLeper

GO SENS GO
Business administration is for pussies. If you study general economics, you know much more.
Quote by Carmel
I can't believe you are whoring yourself out like that.

ಠ_ಠ
It's controversial but I'm going to state it anyway:

I don't really think an MBA or any sort of Masters helps you in any job unless you're planning to be some sort of scholar or academic. In the long run, most employers look for experience and I remember several of my Professors at Law School stating that doing a Masters is for lazy people unwilling to find a job and doing it is a waste (90% of the time). Doing the Degree is necessary but anything else after that isn't usually.

If I were you TS, I'd go looking for a Graduate Job or internship with an Egineering firm. I wouldn't bother with a Masters for the reasons above.
¤´¨留話 請留話 請在我說完後
¸.•´¸.•´¨¸.•¤¨哭泣我不在這裡 我不在那裡請在嗶一聲之後留
(¸.•´ (¸.•´ .•´(´¸.•¤´`¤下自己的秘密請在嗶一聲之後對話筒沾自喜請在嗶一聲之後對空氣唉聲嘆氣

我不在這裡 我人在哪裡 我想到哪裡¤

請在嗶一聲之後留下有聲的話題¤

請在嗶一聲之後分擔感情的問題¤

¤¤¤

Last edited by Harmonius at Aug 4, 2011,
Quote by Harmonius
It's controversial but I'm going to state it anyway:

I don't really think an MBA or any sort of Masters helps you in any job unless you're planning to be some sort of scholar or academic. In the long run, most employers look for experience and I remember several of my Professors at Law School stating that doing a Masters is for lazy people unwilling to find a job and doing it is a waste (90% of the time).

MBA doesnt set you up to be a scholar or academic at all though, for other masters, quite possibly yes, depends on what it is

Quote by jimmyled

aparently i ar smrt?
Quote by dyingLeper

GO SENS GO
Just asking: when talking about a masters' degree. Is that the same as the one in europe? If so: I know no one that has gone to a university and didn't get one.
Quote by Carmel

ಠ_ಠ
Quote by JimmyBanks6
MBA doesnt set you up to be a scholar or academic at all though, for other masters, quite possibly yes, depends on what it is

Fair enough but again, it's suposed to elevate you into the Business World but I, along with several others, think it's a waste. What you need is hard job experience in the form of an internship or a graduate placement. That's just my advice. Sorry if that's not what you wanted to hear but yeah. All the best.

At the end of the day - for engineering, you've got the Degree. You need the working experience not more academic study where you're not really, "learning".
¤´¨留話 請留話 請在我說完後

我不在這裡 我人在哪裡 我想到哪裡¤

請在嗶一聲之後留下有聲的話題¤

請在嗶一聲之後分擔感情的問題¤

¤¤¤

Quote by Neo Evil11
Just asking: when talking about a masters' degree. Is that the same as the one in europe? If so: I know no one that has gone to a university and didn't get one.

then no its not the same.

in NA, its your undergraduate degree (normally 4 years) then your masters (2-4) then you doctorate (1-however long it takes)

most people, id estimate about 80% stop at under-grad and go work, as the standard degree is an undergrad. a few then go into masters, and very few go into their doctorate

Quote by jimmyled

aparently i ar smrt?
Quote by dyingLeper

GO SENS GO
Quote by Harmonius
Fair enough but again, it's suposed to elevate you into the Business World but I, along with several others, think it's a waste. What you need is hard job experience in the form of an internship or a graduate placement. That's just my advice. Sorry if that's not what you wanted to hear but yeah. All the best.

Usually a masters program provides you with an internship for several months. A masters program obviously widens and deepens your knowledge in your field.
Quote by Carmel

ಠ_ಠ
Quote by JimmyBanks6
then no its not the same.

in NA, its your undergraduate degree (normally 4 years) then your masters (2-4) then you doctorate (1-however long it takes)

most people, id estimate about 80% stop at under-grad and go work, as the standard degree is an undergrad. a few then go into masters, and very few go into their doctorate

In Europe you go to a university for 3years or (translated with google) vocational university for 4 years, then a master program for 1-2 years, then a Doctorate 1-?.
Quote by Carmel

ಠ_ಠ
Quote by Neo Evil11
Usually a masters program provides you with an internship for several months. A masters program obviously widens and deepens your knowledge in your field.

That's not what I heard at all but if you get a really useful internship go for it, otherwise I'd say it really is a waste. Most people I know who did the Masters came out in debt who felt like they wasted their time as soon as they realised that people who didn't do the Masters were well on their way to finding a job due to working experience during the year or if they didn't get a job yet, are in the midst of the competition rather than as a fresh fish.
¤´¨留話 請留話 請在我說完後

我不在這裡 我人在哪裡 我想到哪裡¤

請在嗶一聲之後留下有聲的話題¤

請在嗶一聲之後分擔感情的問題¤

¤¤¤

Quote by Harmonius
That's not what I heard at all but if you get a really useful internship go for it, otherwise I'd say it really is a waste. Most people I know who did the Masters came out in debt who felt like they wasted their time as soon as they realised that people who didn't do the Masters were well on their way to finding a job due to working experience during the year or if they didn't get a job yet, are in the midst of the competition rather than as a fresh fish.

Obviously this means that we are talking about different systems. In europe it's almost a must have.
Quote by Carmel

ಠ_ಠ
Quote by Neo Evil11

hmm not sure where you have heard this, but atleast in engineering, a masters is usually you choose a very specific field of study and research with either a prof or company, while taking a few classes as well, it actually narrows your knowledge on a very specific subject rather than widening it.

Or we are both saying the same thing with different words and im reading what you are saying wrong

e/ but an internship and masters dont usually correlate.

Quote by jimmyled

aparently i ar smrt?
Quote by dyingLeper

GO SENS GO
Last edited by JimmyBanks6 at Aug 4, 2011,
Quote by Neo Evil11
Obviously this means that we are talking about different systems. In europe it's almost a must have.

Not at all. I studied the Professional Legal Practice Course in London after gaining a Law Degree (compulsory exams for lawyers). I'm very familiar with the Masters system in Europe. I'm just stating what most people my age would say in hindsight. I can almost guarantee you that a Masters is not what it really amounts to be. I'm 23.

Go to an Engineering Firm - an international one. Look at the recruitment and career pages and I'm sure you wouldn't need a Masters. I don't even know your industry but employers will be keen to take on candidates with the experience not study especially seeing as a Masters is not needed.
¤´¨留話 請留話 請在我說完後

我不在這裡 我人在哪裡 我想到哪裡¤

請在嗶一聲之後留下有聲的話題¤

請在嗶一聲之後分擔感情的問題¤

¤¤¤

MBA is a professional degree, more akin to a JD in law than other purely academic masters programs.
Quote by jakesmellspoo
ooh look at me i'm ERIKLENSHERR and i work at fancy pants desk jobs and wear ties and ply barely legal girls with weed and booze i'm such a classy motherfucker.
Quote by JimmyBanks6
hmm not sure where you have heard this, but atleast in engineering, a masters is usually you choose a very specific field of study and research with either a prof or company, while taking a few classes as well, it actually narrows your knowledge on a very specific subject rather than widening it.

Or we are both saying the same thing with different words and im reading what you are saying wrong

I do not study engineering. I study earth sciences and economics so my field of study is very large. In a masters program you learn more about a specific part of your field, but ofcourse more about your field as a whole.

And every mastersprogram at my university wants you to either study abroad or do an internship somewhere.

^^To the guy above: I know no one who has not done a masterscourse after their university bachelor. Bachelor degrees are too broad and theoretical to work with.
Quote by Carmel

ಠ_ಠ
Last edited by Neo Evil11 at Aug 4, 2011,
Quote by Harmonius
Not at all. I studied the Professional Legal Practice Course in London after gaining a Law Degree (compulsory exams for lawyers). I'm very familiar with the Masters system in Europe. I'm just stating what most people my age would say in hindsight. I can almost guarantee you that a Masters is not what it really amounts to be. I'm 23.

Degrees are different in different fields. In some fields Masters degrees are pretty much expected. Law isn't one of those really. Sciences tend to want masters degrees more often.
"Why should we subsidise intellectual curiosity?"
-Ronald Reagan

"Knowledge is in every country the surest basis of public happiness."
-George Washington
Quote by Neo Evil11
I do not study engineering. I study earth sciences and economics so my field of study is very large. In a masters program you learn more about a specific part of your field, but ofcourse more about your field as a whole.

Again. My point being. If I were in your industry and I gained a graduate placement in - I don't know, PWC or whatever - I would be more employable than someone who studied an extra year.

Experience trumps Study.

You'll be hard-pressed to find someone who will disagree. But then again - I don't know your industry adequately enough so take my advice with a pinch of salt. In general though - don't forget what I've said.

All the best.

EDIT: I just did a quick search on Google on Betchel - the largest US Engineering Firm. Here is what I found as a must have for a typical engineering role:

· B.S. or equivalent degree in Engineering or Business from an accredited university

· Cost Engineering Certification preferred

· At least five (5) years relevant experience in major projects in the infrastructure or energy industry

· Experience in similar position with the PMC’s organization preferred

Source: https://performancemanager4.successfactors.com/career?_s.crb=DG8ObtGwV9GCV4c46asjTXRUyLQ%253d

Again - I'm pretty sure an MBA or a Masters is not needed at all. Don't forget, if you get a graduate placement, most usually the firm will sponsor you for further studies if you wish - not so much the other way around. The world economy is going down - I'd just find a job as soon as I can.
¤´¨留話 請留話 請在我說完後

我不在這裡 我人在哪裡 我想到哪裡¤

請在嗶一聲之後留下有聲的話題¤

請在嗶一聲之後分擔感情的問題¤

¤¤¤

Dude i worked in business administration for 7 years. It isn't exactly my lifes ambition. It is mind numbingly boring and tedious and is generally shit money. I think a masters in it is slightly irrelevant.

Try and get a professional qualification like a Vet or a Doctor..even if you have to go to college to get the grades (well thats possible in the Uk anyway)
Last edited by Sir-Shredalot at Aug 4, 2011,
If you want to climb the corporate ladder, get an MBA. If you want to do hands-on engineering for your whole career, you're better off getting field experience.

Case in point: my dad has been a military aviator for 25+ years. After getting his MBA, he was fast tracked to Central Command and placed into consideration for general, meaning that he doesn't fly planes any more. Had he not gotten an MBA, he probably would have kept working as a flight instructor instead of going into the military equivalent of management.

Quote by Pat_s1t
I remember Das_Skittles made me rage hard.

Quote by WCPhils
I can't stand Das_Skittles everything he says makes me mad.

Quote by due 07
Skittles is the shit you cuntles. Slob on his knob.

My Band Youtube Channel Last.fm
Quote by Harmonius
Huge post.

i dont think you understand though, i have no issues with engineering and could yes go straight into it and start earning good cash off the bat, i realize experience is necessary to climb the design side, but my limits are down to, i stay as an engineer designing, to get into the corporate side its almost always required to have an mba or something similar.

e/ what Das_skittles said i guess is what im trying to say, i was just wondering if there are any people in the pit who have done their MBA and if it helped them.

Quote by jimmyled

aparently i ar smrt?
Quote by dyingLeper

GO SENS GO
Quote by Harmonius
Again. My point being. If I were in your industry and I gained a graduate placement in - I don't know, PWC or whatever - I would be more employable than someone who studied an extra year.

You'll be hard-pressed to find someone who will disagree. But then again - I don't know your industry adequately enough so take my advice with a pinch of salt. In general though - don't forget what I've said.

All the best.

This is actually the first time in my life that someone is trying to convince me that a masters degree is unnecessary. I guess in the Netherlands it's just different. Especially with my strange bachelors degree I know I wouldn't get a job in my field.
Quote by Carmel

ಠ_ಠ