Hi guys,

I don't know if this is "weird" song structure, or just new to me. This (link) is the song in question. It's the lead intro that weirds me out. It just doesn't (in my inexperienced judgement) follow conventional structure. When using a metronome, I noticed the notes of the riff fall in a different place every time. It kinda' finds it's way back after being played through twice.

Here's the riff (sorry, best I could figure on showing why the timing is weird to me):

(C#) 1 & 2 & 3 & 4 & (B) 1 & 2 (E) & 3 & (F#) 4 & 1 & 2 & (octave) 3 & (A) 4 & 1 (E) & 2 & (C#) 3 & 4 & 1 & 2 & (B) 3 & 4 (E) & 1 & (F#) 2 & 3 & 4 & (octave) 1 & (A) 2 & 3 (E) & 4 & (C#) 1 & 2 & 3 & 4 &

The rest of the song seems normal. It's just the parts with this lead in it that are weird. Is there some kind of theory behind this that I'm missing, or is this just a situation where "it just works?"

I noticed that the other instruments seem to follow this lead pattern. Would it be incorrect to play a chord progression with, say, a 16 count between chords behind this?

Thanks!
Quote by -Rane-
Here's the riff (sorry, best I could figure on showing why the timing is weird to me):

(C#) 1 & 2 & 3 & 4 & (B) 1 & 2 (E) & 3 & (F#) 4 & 1 & 2 & (octave) 3 & (A) 4 & 1 (E) & 2 & (C#) 3 & 4 & 1 & 2 & (B) 3 & 4 (E) & 1 & (F#) 2 & 3 & 4 & (octave) 1 & (A) 2 & 3 (E) & 4 & (C#) 1 & 2 & 3 & 4 &

ever see people talk about learning standard notation, because it makes it easier to communicate with other musicians? this is why. learn standard notation. if you were to give me this melody on a staff, i could play it for you immediately. like this, i actually have to sit here and try to decrypt what you're talking about.

from what i can gather, it's all just syncopation. as far as the 16th count idea goes, give it a shot. you'll know if it sounds good or sounds like shit.
Anfangen ist leicht, Beharren eine Kunst.
Quote by AeolianWolf
ever see people talk about learning standard notation, because it makes it easier to communicate with other musicians? this is why. learn standard notation. if you were to give me this melody on a staff, i could play it for you immediately. like this, i actually have to sit here and try to decrypt what you're talking about.

from what i can gather, it's all just syncopation. as far as the 16th count idea goes, give it a shot. you'll know if it sounds good or sounds like shit.

For the record, I am learning standard notation. If you could tell me of an effective way to post a staff on this forum, I'd be happy to help you out.

And thanks. This is the first I've ever head of syncopation, I Googled it and that sounds to be about what I was thinking might be going on (although much more technically described). I was just worried I might be missing something obvious.

Again, thanks for your help.
Last edited by -Rane- at Aug 4, 2011,
Quote by -Rane-
For the record, I am learning standard notation. If you could tell me of an effective way to post a staff on this forum, I'd be happy to help you out.

And thanks. This is the first I've ever head of syncopation, I Googled it and that sounds to be about what I was thinking might be going on (although much more technically described). I was just worried I might be missing something obvious.

Again, thanks for your help.

you have any notation software? GP? sibelius? if so, screenshot. if not, write it on manuscript paper and take a picture.

yeah, it seems like syncopation.
Anfangen ist leicht, Beharren eine Kunst.