Hey UG, I've been shooting a few emails back and forth with Vik, and he said he would definitely be up for doing a discounted run!

Vik also said that specs don't need to all be the same 100%, but obviously the more you stick the idea the cheaper it'll be.

Anyways, here's what I have so far:

Model: Caprice S body shape

strings: 7 strings

scale: Fanned! 25-27"

frets: 24

neck/body system: Bolt On

fingerboard: Ebony

fingerboard radius: 20" radius

Neck wood: Birdseye maple

Body wood: Mahogany

Top wood: Burl maple

Headstock: Reverse inline

fretwire type and gauge: Stainless steel

binding: Body only

binding type: Ebony

inlays: Inlay optional and on a per customer basis

hardware color: Black

bridge: Fixed

tuners: Schaller locking

pickups: ViK

controls layout: vol and 3 way switch

Knobs: Volume knob

Strap buttons: straplocks

Finish: High Gloss

So hopefully the final product will be something looking like this with a bunch of minor differences:

We're aiming for 5-7 people and have two down so far so we only need 3 more to make this happen!
Last edited by Mehtabb at Aug 4, 2011,
Price?
My Gear:

Guitars:
Ibanez RG 7 EXFX (27'' scale, 2x EMG 707)

Amp:
Mesa/Boogie Studio .20 Caliber

Recording:
Line 6 Studio POD GX
I know he is expensive but thats not really cheap enough to warrant calling it a discounted run, especially with having to have the options limited.

1977 Burny FLG70
2004 EBMM JP6
2016 SE Holcolmb
Quote by Tom 1.0
I know he is expensive but thats not really cheap enough to warrant calling it a discounted run, especially with having to have the options limited.

I don't know if you've ever put in for a quote from him but I'm guesstimating savings of 3-500 dollars. You would be free to change specs too, it would just cost a touch more, the specs are all still up for general discussion anyways :p

I thought if you're going to order one anyways, why not make it extra juicy!
if I am spending 3k on a guitar 300-500 isnt going to bother me, certainly not if it allows me to get exactly what I want.

I am not trying to be a dick, if he was doing a "discounted" run surely he would make say 9 or 10 conventional hardtail 7s with no options and sell them for about 2k each, not say, "oh yeah I can do you a 3k discounted run with these odd specs and no options, but get me some sales and say your saving a pittance."

1977 Burny FLG70
2004 EBMM JP6
2016 SE Holcolmb
Quote by Tom 1.0
if I am spending 3k on a guitar 300-500 isnt going to bother me, certainly not if it allows me to get exactly what I want.

I am not trying to be a dick, if he was doing a "discounted" run surely he would make say 9 or 10 conventional hardtail 7s with no options and sell them for about 2k each, not say, "oh yeah I can do you a 3k discounted run with these odd specs and no options, but get me some sales and say your saving a pittance."

Fair enough and I totally see where your coming from. Once we have the 5 interested people down, then we can talk specs and change options from there. I'm aiming more at the, "I was just about to buy a fanned fret custom", crowd.

Also, Vik doesn't have a CNC and everything is done by hand, so the discount would come from not having to spend as much time sourcing wood, buying in larger quantities, etc...

Its definately not going to be a 2k run, I'm not sure if you're too familiar with KxK (Rob does great work, check him out!) but he did a 2k FF run and he said himself that it wasn't profitable enough to do again....
Oh yeah totally, I just dont see how you would be able to make a saving this way.

the only issue with going to Cnc is that you have to make loads to offset the initial purchase of the gear.

I dont think you will get much interest here though, but you might be able to convince a few guys from the ERG thread, but most of us are too poor

If he did a 6 string I might find a way to sell my soul...

1977 Burny FLG70
2004 EBMM JP6
2016 SE Holcolmb
Quote by Tom 1.0
Oh yeah totally, I just dont see how you would be able to make a saving this way.

the only issue with going to Cnc is that you have to make loads to offset the initial purchase of the gear.

I dont think you will get much interest here though, but you might be able to convince a few guys from the ERG thread, but most of us are too poor

If he did a 6 string I might find a way to sell my soul...

Yeah, I know a luthier that runs his CNC machine to make aircraft parts or something really odd like that just so it pays for itself. It's nuts how much they cost to buy and operate.
Yeah, I mean if you got one cheap for like 30k KxK or Vik would have to sell like 20 guitars quickly to make the cash back..

Shame.

I mean I8 have heard that apparently Doug at Black Machine has decided that people are cheaper to employ for his possible future builds than buy a CNC machine

1977 Burny FLG70
2004 EBMM JP6
2016 SE Holcolmb
Quote by Tom 1.0
Yeah, I mean if you got one cheap for like 30k KxK or Vik would have to sell like 20 guitars quickly to make the cash back..

Shame.

I mean I8 have heard that apparently Doug at Black Machine has decided that people are cheaper to employ for his possible future builds than buy a CNC machine

That says something when even part-time personel is incredibly expensive.

Regardless, it's a shame but I won't be able to participate. ViK is probably my favourite luthier, long before Nolly even got his build (I remember talking to him about it before he commissioned the build and we were both pretty stunned by his work).

300-500 bucks of a discount is a really nice thing on incredible guitars like these. I just hope someday I'll be able to own one.
My Gear:

Guitars:
Ibanez RG 7 EXFX (27'' scale, 2x EMG 707)

Amp:
Mesa/Boogie Studio .20 Caliber

Recording:
Line 6 Studio POD GX
Same, but that burl maple one I posted threw me over the top.

We have till august 30th guys!
Some information Vik posted:

Quote by ViK-master;2608248
Hey, guys!

Thanks to everyone who put some interest into what's going on here.
I guess I must explain some things before the ball gets to roll.

Considering the way I craft my guitars a "run" itself doesn't make much sense to me, aside the fact that I'm at once getting a bunch of orders of course. It comes from the fact that all the instruments are build by hands and electric hand tools which takes a lot of time and moves to proceed. Or at least a way more than it takes with CNC processed builds where you spend most time on programming and setting the machine but then get a "sanding ready" stuff quite fast and really save time as you don't have to reprogram the machine for every particular object.
There more reasons but explaining them probably doesn't change much.

Anyway I agreed for this run 'cause it at least could be a great experience and very fun time indeed, also so that more guys could get a fan-fretted ViK for a noticeably reduced price. Speaking of which (the price) I find it quite fare considering the specs and services offered. I'd be very thankful to "1700 and then maybe" guys if they could keep from posting in this thread. I can't possibly meet your generosity but I'm sure that there's someone who can and would and have done as we've all learned from this board some time ago.

I've been told that most of you guys who applied or considering taking part in this thing prefer another shape. Well I can't go with that exact but can offer reviewed version that will probably become another ViK model soon. As of now it's available for this limited run only under working title of "SAVIUOR 7FF".

Here's the mockup

And the specs sheet:

Replying to the questions asked:

EMS shipping rates are approx. 50EUR for EUROPE and 100USD for rest of the world. All US shipments I've made came to recipient within a week. In Europe customs like to bend terms but usually within 10 days.
Incoming taxes are on buyers
A hardshell case is included for additional charge of 60-140USD depending on the model.

I can't promise any timelines now as I keep getting usual orders but you can expect your order to be completed with a year from the run start. There will be general build thread on with many pics of the process and comments.

As long as I'm concerned about everyone's being happy about this run and keeping in mind the number of custom projects I have on plate right now I'm forced to limit this run to 5 "runners" max. So basically if we get 5 people ready to place the deposit by the end of August we're good to go. Less will cancel the run. Only 5 guitars will be processed.

"Runners" will pick woods from offered in the turn of being placed in the list.
Here's some sample (may not be the actual pieces) you can expect:

As the addition to offered I'd like to propose to come up with a title for the run and a graphic symbol that could as well be inlaid on the 1th fret area on all the 5 guitars. As contribute to history and mark of belonging to a limited run.

I believe this is all for now.
Please ,ask all questions before confirming your spot!
Thank you!