Melodic Death Metal: Finnish and Swedish - which do you like the most?

Page 1 of 2
Hey!

If you look at finnish melodic death metal bands like Children of Bodom, Norther, Kalmah and Wintersun you notice that all bands have similliarities but they all sound a little bit power metal-ish. Often they have keyboards which is also a power metal influence I believe!

Swedish Melodic Death Metal bands like In Flames, Dark Tranquillity, Soilwork and At The Gates also have similliarities! They ALL use harmonies A LOT in their playing!

Okay ... All these bands in the same country use the same things in their music ... still they sound different and cool!

What style do you like the most? Is it the Finnish Melodic Death Metal style, or the swedish?

Personally I like both styles equal! While the Finnish style is raw, the power metal influence can be too much some times! And for the swedes, harmonies can be interesting and cool, but when every swedish band uses them you get enough of them too! So I prefer a little dose of both!

Now you say your opinion!
Quote by carlos_almighty
You just wanna try it? My philosophy is, "If it makes you curious, try it at least once."

Also: "Time you enjoy wasting, is not wasted!"
They all suck
Free your mind and your ass will follow
The kingdom of heaven is within
Open up your funky mind and you can fly

Sumdeus
Quote by technicolour
you're enthusiasm is really cute, I'm not gonna lie.

Exactly, how can someone be mean to that? D:

I use to think this way awhile back and if I had to choose it'd be Swedish, but nothing wrong with liking those others, ya little scamp!

You might want to look into actual MDM though dude, Demigod and Dismember were good starts for me so maybe you should start there too.
Melodic Death Metal
Finnish: Demigod, Sentenced, Amorphis
Swedish: At the Gates, Dismember, Carnage, Entombed, God Macabre, Uncanny, Necrophobic, Therion

Tough call, I guess. I prefer Finnish myself.
I prefer Finnish in general, but as far as Melodic Death Metal goes i think Sweden has more high quality albums of the sort.
Quote by Steve08
Acid probably makes you feel less like a hedonistic raver piece of trash, too.

As far as typical melodeath goes, I prefer Swedish. The only bands I still listen to of that style are Dark Tranquillity and Insomnium; Insomnium are Finnish but sound more Swedish.

As far as stuff that's actual death metal (like the stuff NFA posted), it's more or less a wash.
nothing trumps ATG's TRITSIO so that wins
Amorphis was boring as hell throughout IMO; but yeah Sentenced and Demigod are way up there
Cenotaph's Riding Our Black Oceans reminds me a lot of North From Here

I'd vote Sweden then Japan ha ha ha... thanks to Intestine Baalism
Quote by severed-metal
Fins finish first.

So you like or dislike Finish MDM 'cause it doesn't leave you satisfied as long as Swedish does?
I find alot of finnish bands Ive heard that are considered to be Melodic Death metal are just bland power metal riffs with harsh vocals, ie CoB, Norther, etc. So Swedish gets the nod. not to say finland doesnt have good bands, though.
Quote by NotFromANUS
"Don't brutal your sister, Timmy!"

last.fm
Last edited by Helloween4Ever at Aug 5, 2011,
Quote by NotFromANUS
Melodic Death Metal
Finnish: Demigod, Sentenced, Amorphis
Swedish: At the Gates, Dismember, Carnage, Entombed, God Macabre, Uncanny, Necrophobic, Therion

Tough call, I guess. I prefer Finnish myself.

Add Andramalech to the Finns

Finndeath is much more satisfying and well rounded on the whole, but Swedeath has Tritsio...

Regardless, most of the Florida scene beat both scenes, but Finndeath gives a little more run for the money.
HESSIAN HAREM
FOR THE ADVANCEMENT OF THE HESSIAN CULTURE. STAY TRUE.
^Adramelech bro, this is the second time I've seen you do that.
Quote by Senor Kristian
Viking fact no. 1: Viking helmets did not have horn.
Viking fact no. 2: Vikings tobogganed on their shields into battle.
Viking fact no. 3: Vikings drank mead.
Viking fact no. 4: One of your ancestors are likely to have been raped by a viking.
ehh Fin and Swede>Floridan by far.
Quote by Steve08

Quote by Helloween4Ever
I find alot of finnish bands Ive heard that are considered to be Melodic Death metal are just bland power metal riffs with harsh vocals, ie CoB, Norther, etc. So Swedish gets the nod. not to say finland doesnt have good bands, though.

Thank you.
Finland has Demigod, Amorphis and Sentenced.
But Sweden has At The Gates which is huge contribution being one of my most important bands ever.
But I'd still say Finland because of North From Here and The Karelian Isthmus.

Edit: Just realized my huge lack of knowledge in these kind of bands. So give me some Swedish or Finnish quality melodic death metal bands.
Last edited by Ozzy87_2 at Aug 5, 2011,
Dismember, have you heard their first lp ?
Quote by Steve08

Yes I have heard it. It is pretty good, but is there something more along the lines of North From Here, The Karelian Isthmus and the first four At The Gates releases?
Probably, I'm not sure though. I'm not really the guy to go to for Melodeath.
Quote by Steve08

ozzy if you want something akin to North From Here try Cenotaph's Riding Our Black Oceans possibly 9 Epic Rites too

I only liked one song off the Karelian Ishtmus
Quote by Clay-man
Thank you.

you don't listen to real swedeath so your opinion doesn't count

Quote by Riffmast

the Fla scene alone has an answer to almost every great album from Fin and Swe. Come at me bro.
HESSIAN HAREM
Last edited by progbass at Aug 5, 2011,
Quote by progbass
you don't listen to real swedeath so your opinion doesn't count

the Fla scene alone has an answer to almost every great album from Fin and Swe. Come at me bro.

Did you just insult him for saying thank you? I understand what you are trying to say but that just looks funny. :3

May you name some Florida bands?

And best album is God Was Created, come at me proggy.
Just regarding him in general. If you need any sort of convincing of his falseness, just head over to the "mello deff metal thread"

Florida bands that get shit done?

Morbid Angel
Monstrosity
Atheist
Deicide

I feel no need to go further. The first two or three albums from each are enough alone to conquer vast legions.
HESSIAN HAREM
I'm actually on a bit of a North From Here binge at the moment. Awesome album.

In any case, I used to be a total melodeath guy so I have strong ties to it, whether or not I listen to a lot of it anymore *nostalgic tear*
Quote by Morphogenesis26
And best album is God Was Created, come at me proggy.

I also have very high views of God Was Created...it's a special album. Really interesting piece of music.
Quote by Butt Rayge
Finland Have Kalmah, so they win.

I thought about posting this, but then I realized that I only listen to The Black Waltz these days.
Last edited by P1ayingW1thF1re at Aug 5, 2011,
Can't say I know who did God Was Created, have to MA it, but I listened to North From Here last night. Atheists' Unquestionable Presence destroys it.
HESSIAN HAREM
Quote by Riffmast

Finland above all but I'd pick Tampa over Stockholm.
Quote by beadhangingOne
Are you talking about those weird sphincter-spasms where it feels like there's a ghost dick in your ass for a little while and then it just disappears?
Quote by progbass
Just regarding him in general. If you need any sort of convincing of his falseness, just head over to the "mello deff metal thread"

Florida bands that get shit done?

Morbid Angel
Monstrosity
Atheist
Deicide

I feel no need to go further. The first two or three albums from each are enough alone to conquer vast legions.

This is the first time giving them a proper go, starting on their first album...It's alot better than what I remember but...you've made me sad progbass.

That first riff in Suffocation...that's the same as the riff I made in the song I'm working on. Now it sound's like an MA rip off.
Go ahead and label me as false, I don't care, but I never bothered to check out Deicide. I presume Legion is the album in question correct, is it really worth my time compared to say Altars of Madness, Blessed are the Sick, Unquestionable Presence, and Elements?
Quote by Senor Kristian
Viking fact no. 1: Viking helmets did not have horn.
Viking fact no. 2: Vikings tobogganed on their shields into battle.
Viking fact no. 3: Vikings drank mead.
Viking fact no. 4: One of your ancestors are likely to have been raped by a viking.
Yeah, sorry I clicked ariel to highlight Morbid Angel in your quote but didn't realize that it was already ariel. And gotcha proggychief. :O
Quote by The Virtuoso
Go ahead and label me as false, I don't care, but I never bothered to check out Deicide. I presume Legion is the album in question correct, is it really worth my time compared to say Altars of Madness, Blessed are the Sick, Unquestionable Presence, and Elements?

Legion is the album in question, it has more of a NY feel than either of Ma's and Atheists, and it is waaaaaaaaaaay better than Elements. Although it was created with a speed metal archetype (think like early Death), it features more atonal and modal playing like Incantation and Immolation.

Czech my fav track from the album - Repent to Die

very evil death metal. has a very frantic pace to it that was largely lacking from the FL scene (more of a NY thing).

I figured out what album you were talking about because I too was pissed when I found out my new badass riff was the intro to a song from '89 (@Morpho)

Blessed is a different beast altogether though. Has my favorite MA song - Ancient Ones
HESSIAN HAREM
Page 1 of 2