The Guardian article
Quote by article
Liberal Democrats are expected to call for an independent inquiry into the decriminalisation of possession of all drugs.

A motion to be put at the party's annual conference next month is likely to be passed, officials said.
The inquiry, the Liberal Democrats said, would look at reforms in Portugal which are said to have reduced problematic drug use through decriminalisation for personal use and investing in treatment centres.

The conference motion also calls for the inquiry to "examine heroin maintenance clinics in Switzerland and the Netherlands which have delivered great health benefits for addicts and considerable reductions in drug-related crime".
The inquiry call follows a statement by the Advisory Council on the Misuse of Drugs which said: "People found to be in possession of drugs for any personal use and involved in no other criminal offences should not be processed through the criminal justice system, but diverted into drug education awareness courses, or possibly other more creative civil punishment."
The proposed inquiry would look at:

• Whether possession for personal use should not be a criminal offence.

• Whether possession should still be prohibited but police could only summon individuals to appear before panels tasked with determining education, health or social interventions.

• Potential frameworks for a strictly regulated cannabis market and the potential impacts on organised crime and the health of the public, especially children.

The motion also proposes the widespread availability of heroin maintenance clinics for the most problematic and vulnerable heroin users.

Looks quite promising, and although I don't do any drugs I can see the benefits of decriminalisation.
Spin round carousel
When your horse isn't screwed in

I II III VI:1 VI:2
The Lib Dems are?

Forget it. They will change their mind next week.

1977 Burny FLG70
2004 EBMM JP6
2016 SE Holcolmb
The whole war against drugs is bullshit anyway. I believe it's people who are the problem, not the substances. Addiction is a mental issue not a chemical one.

Also whats to say people have the right to ban nature-grown substances, that sounds like a pretty huge ego issue to me :P.
Hull City A.F.C

Quote by Thrashtastic15
crunkym toy diuckl;ess ass ****igkjn ****** **** bitch ass pussy ****er douchecanoe ****** **** you s omn cnt you lieet le biutch
Quote by cam_sampbell

Prick.

Quote by Afroboy267
The whole war against drugs is bullshit anyway. I believe it's people who are the problem, not the substances. Addiction is a mental issue not a chemical one.

Also whats to say people have the right to ban nature-grown substances, that sounds like a pretty huge ego issue to me :P.

1977 Burny FLG70
2004 EBMM JP6
2016 SE Holcolmb
Doubt it'll happen but I can't help but feel happy. I've always liked the Lib Dems for their social policies (well, more than the other two parties >.>
Quote by the_white_bunny
your just a simpleton that cant understand strategy apparently.

Quote by the_white_bunny
all hail king of the penis sucking(i said balls. you said dick for some reason?) Isabiggles
meh, Gideon will pat Clegg on the head and tell him that if he's REALLY good (and by good he means dropping this enquiry), Dave might let him wear the Prime Minister's Special hat.
Rhythm in Jump. Dancing Close to You.

Quote by element4433
Yeah. people, like Lemoninfluence, are hypocrites and should have all their opinions invalidated from here on out.
Quote by Afroboy267

Yeah, heroin addiction is all in the mind..
Quote by Afroboy267

Hull City A.F.C

Quote by Thrashtastic15
crunkym toy diuckl;ess ass ****igkjn ****** **** bitch ass pussy ****er douchecanoe ****** **** you s omn cnt you lieet le biutch
Quote by cam_sampbell

Mong.

1977 Burny FLG70
2004 EBMM JP6
2016 SE Holcolmb
Yes. It's much better to work with something rather than against it.
Quote by neidnarb11890
the chinese take-out place my family always ordered from gave you chopsticks, so as a kid it was fun to try & eat with chopsticks
now i just use a fork, 'cuz nothing is fun anymore & i just want to shovel food into my mouth to fill the void
Quote by Tom 1.0
Mong.

Hull City A.F.C

Quote by Thrashtastic15
Quote by Afroboy267

next time you see a coke addict, replace his coke with sugar and re-visit in a week.
Click here to hear my BOB DYLAN (Blowing in the Wind) out right now May 2k17
Quote by laid-to-waste
next time you see a coke addict, replace his coke with sugar and come back in a week.

I hear diabetes is mental, also. We can't take that risk.
Quote by SeveralSpecies
I hear diabetes is mental, also. We can't take that risk.

Click here to hear my BOB DYLAN (Blowing in the Wind) out right now May 2k17
Quote by Lemoninfluence
meh, Gideon will pat Clegg on the head and tell him that if he's REALLY good (and by good he means dropping this enquiry), Dave might let him wear the Prime Minister's Special hat.
At least the issue could potentially be brought into public discourse, right?

Also, who else thinks Nick Clegg just wants drugs decriminalised so he can get high and forget how much of a colossal fuck he is.
Quote by cam_sampbell

Fucking chimp spunk bubble.

1977 Burny FLG70
2004 EBMM JP6
2016 SE Holcolmb
Last edited by Tom 1.0 at Aug 4, 2011,
Quote by psyks
At least the issue could potentially be brought into public discourse, right?

The issue has been in the public discourse for years. Have you not noticed the plethora of marijuana documentaries on the likes of BBC3?

EDIT: nevermind, I assumed you were in the UK.

They at least make an attempt to appear impartial, but because it's the BBC they wouldn't go as far to say that the drug itself isn't a big deal. So they concentrate on the crime associated with it whilst glancing over the relatively harmless nature of the drug itself.

Also, who else thinks Nick Clegg just wants drugs decriminalised so he can get high forget how much of a colossal fuck he is.

meh, let him ride in a fire engine for 10 minutes and he'll be back to his happy self.

Quote by element4433
Yeah. people, like Lemoninfluence, are hypocrites and should have all their opinions invalidated from here on out.
Last edited by Lemoninfluence at Aug 4, 2011,
I don't know much about this Nick Clegg guy other than all the Brits on this site have fiery, passionate hate for him but lol at the photos.
Last edited by Masamune at Aug 4, 2011,
Quote by Lemoninfluence
The issue has been in the public discourse for years. Have you not noticed the plethora of marijuana documentaries on the likes of BBC3?

EDIT: nevermind, I assumed you were in the UK.

They at least make an attempt to appear impartial, but because it's the BBC they wouldn't go as far to say that the drug itself isn't a big deal. So they concentrate on the crime associated with it whilst glancing over the relatively harmless nature of the drug itself.
No worries, I'm a brit living in France, but I'm planning on moving back in a year or so. Didn't Bob Ainsworth spurt out something like this the second labour lost power? And Brighton recently did something to do with heroin clinics...

While my faith in the Lib Dems is further in the red than our economy (#ooooh, biting satire), this reeks of social progress to me.
Quote by psyks
No worries, I'm a brit living in France, but I'm planning on moving back in a year or so. Didn't Bob Ainsworth spurt out something like this the second labour lost power? And Brighton recently did something to do with heroin clinics...

While my faith in the Lib Dems is further in the red than our economy (#ooooh, biting satire), this reeks of social progress to me.

A lot of people said it before Labour lost power. Problem was they were scientists rather than elected politicians, and as such they could be sacked and ignored with no recourse.

Then the Tories got rid of the need to have impartial scientists on the Drug Advisory Board.

And the Brighton MP did say something about how they were going to essentially decriminalise drugs as a trial, but I don't know how likely that is to go ahead.

It IS progress IF it works, but we've had the discussion so many times before that I can't see this being any different.

Remember when Cannabis was reclassified as a Class C drug? That was a (small) step forward, but within months it was put back to class B because...

actually I can't fathom a decent reason why.

Quote by element4433
Quote by Pooinsky
Yeah, heroin addiction is all in the mind..

An extremely large amount of it is. The physical addiction is a comparatively small problem, if it were as simple as getting rid of that then drug rehab would be super easy. Generally the really serious problems are the underlying ones that led to the person becoming a heroin addict in the first place.
"Why should we subsidise intellectual curiosity?"
-Ronald Reagan

"Knowledge is in every country the surest basis of public happiness."
-George Washington