so i am writing a song with a 1 2 4 5 progression in the key of E major the chords are emaj, f#min, Amaj, and Bmaj. But at one point in the song i want to really just hang out with the Bmaj chord and make love to it. Now i have not really been playing guitar that long about a year and a half or so, now for this song i am attempting to make i been just using the E major scale obviously to make melodies but i want to add a kind of mode type playing part in this. My understanding of modes is that it helps us understand the relationship between scales and chords now do not yell at me.

Ok so now i am making love to the Bmaj chord for a long time in the song my understanding is this the notes of the E major scale E, F#, G#, A , B, C#, D#.
E= ionian F#= dorian G#= phrygian A= lydian AND NOW FOR MY B MAjor it = mixolydian.
now can i use the mixolydian scale witch is just a major scale with a b7th can i play that over my Bmajor chord and would that classify it as having a modal type playing part in the song i am trying to create?.
I'd say it wouldn't necessarily be modal, since the whole context of the piece is based on E major - the sections preceding your Bmaj vamp are rooted in and resolve to the key of E major, so the likelihood that other sections in the same piece resolve to that same tonal center is very high.
It may be possible to suggest importance of the B major chord by targeting strong tones relevant to it, but chord's function in the whole piece is the V, and it's probable that your entire section will seem like a very drawn-out lead-up to a perfect cadence.

The idea of vamping on one chord and exploiting its own individually strong tones may be comparable to moving from a I-IV-V in a major key to a ii-vi-iii; the perceived tonality may have been altered, but the overall resolution will be to the I, which is the defining factor of tonality. Even then, in the context of what you've mentioned this is a stretched comparison.

By all means, go along with the prospect of vamping on Bmaj and improvising some melodies or themes - if that's the sound you want, it's perfectly viable. I hope you won't be turned off the idea because it's not considered truly 'modal'.

Last edited by juckfush at Aug 4, 2011,
Quote by stesson
so i am writing a song with a 1 2 4 5 progression in the key of E major the chords are emaj, f#min, Amaj, and Bmaj. But at one point in the song i want to really just hang out with the Bmaj chord and make love to it. Now i have not really been playing guitar that long about a year and a half or so, now for this song i am attempting to make i been just using the E major scale obviously to make melodies but i want to add a kind of mode type playing part in this. My understanding of modes is that it helps us understand the relationship between scales and chords now do not yell at me.

Ok so now i am making love to the Bmaj chord for a long time in the song my understanding is this the notes of the E major scale E, F#, G#, A , B, C#, D#.
E= ionian F#= dorian G#= phrygian A= lydian AND NOW FOR MY B MAjor it = mixolydian.
now can i use the mixolydian scale witch is just a major scale with a b7th can i play that over my Bmajor chord and would that classify it as having a modal type playing part in the song i am trying to create?.

No you'd be playing in E Major, and using the V chord (making love to it as you say...) to really make it want to resolve back to E.

Best,

Sean