I have a cunning plan.

I want to buy a strat style guitar to improve my soldering abilities. I want to buy a strat with the usual equipment and then every week try a mod that requires no money (such as changing what the tone controls, which pickups work in combination and so on)

Now, for this I need a strat that is cheap and not necessarily of a well known brand, but has decent beginning electronics. I need a guitar where the pickups already have a definitive sound of their own and where the tone and volume controls do something. I know I've dealt with a few squiers where the pots are so bad they don't really do anything until you have them turned off and any wiring mods will probably do damn near nothing at that point.

Now, I am based in the UK and I have about 250 to spend, but I'd prefer to pay a lot less if possible. In fact if someone wants to donate an old beater then I'll pay for postage =D haha

I have already considered squier, vintage and yamaha but would like some more ideas if anyone has them.
Quote by CobenBlack
I have a cunning plan.

I want to buy a strat style guitar to improve my soldering abilities. I want to buy a strat with the usual equipment and then every week try a mod that requires no money (such as changing what the tone controls, which pickups work in combination and so on)

Now, for this I need a strat that is cheap and not necessarily of a well known brand, but has decent beginning electronics. I need a guitar where the pickups already have a definitive sound of their own and where the tone and volume controls do something. I know I've dealt with a few squiers where the pots are so bad they don't really do anything until you have them turned off and any wiring mods will probably do damn near nothing at that point.

Now, I am based in the UK and I have about 250 to spend, but I'd prefer to pay a lot less if possible. In fact if someone wants to donate an old beater then I'll pay for postage =D haha

I have already considered squier, vintage and yamaha but would like some more ideas if anyone has them.

for starters i'm failing to to see the "cunning"part of this plan. dude cheap strat copies don't have good electronics or pickups with " difinitive sound of their own" this is why people end up spending "money" to upgrade them. i can't think of one thing you can do for free that will improve the sound of one of these type of guitars.
It's a blackadder quote. It always precedes a plan that is not very cunning at all.

Also I've already named somethings that can be done to change the tone of the guitars. I tell you what, the results are going to be posted on my website www.coben.weebly.com - if you tune in then you'll probably learn some of them.

For anyone who is interested in some of the things I plan on doing I'm thinking switching the pots around so that there are 2 volumes and one tone, 3 volumes that are directly wired to the jack by taking off the cap, changing cap readings, having all the pups go through a master volume with no tones connected.

What a lot of people seem to forget is that everything in a circuit drastically changes the sound of a guitar. I realised when I added a pickup, a tone and a 3 way to my favourite sounding jackson. That's why I'd like to do this series. I will be starting with a stock guitar and showing using the same settings just what you can change on your guitar to get a better sound by spending no money. You know, the way people did in the 70's before they added push pulls to everything.

EDIT: I hadn't thought about the early japanese copies - could be a great shout, thanks.