Alright so I have been interested in starting up my home studio for a while and recently found a Mackie 1604 VLZ Pro for $350 CDN. Just wondering if this mixer will be good for recording. Also do I need an interface to connect it to a computer?

Cheers dudes.
RAW POWER
I don't like Mackie especially for recording, but that's a personal taste. It does a lot of thing, but all those thing are meh!
and yeah, you will need an interface to connect it to a computer!
Well between a Mackie 1604 VLZ Pro, an Allen and Heath Zed 24 and a Soundcraft Series 200 which do you think would be best for recording?
RAW POWER
I have a mackie 1604 VLZ PRO and I use it for the monitor path only. Basically I take the XLR output of my preamps into the mackie and the 1/4" outputs of my preamps into my interface. This way you can monitor the microphones with ZERO latency. It also works good to route the outputs of the interface to my amp and speakers. For that cash its worth it for the monitor path and you can also use it for a live situation. I wouldn't use it for recording though I would use standalone preamps.

Hope this helps.
---------------------------------------------------------------------------
'04 Tony Iommi Signature SG
'66 Harmony Bobkat
Between the three, I would take the Mackie last. It would be a toss up between the Allen and Heath and the Soundcraft. Both of them are very, very good. There's nothing wrong with the Mackie. It's just not as good as the other two.

Now....

What is your purpose for the mixer? I used to run a system with a mixer. I had a mixer similar to the Mackie that plugged into a Delta 1010. Each track from the mixer went into a track into the Delta and into the computer. The reasons for the mixer for me were:

- The Delta 1010 interface had no preamps, so I needed the ones in the mixer
- I ran a couple of pre-fader sends to a headphone amp so that I could have to fully independent headphone mixes for other musicians.

Then I upgraded my interface and my software, and found I had no use for the mixer. The interface had preamps, and the interface and the software allowed for even more independent monitor mixes.

The reason I tell you this is that there are good reasons for wanting to use a mixer, but depending on your software and other hardware (and intended work flow), you may well not need one.

CT
Could I get some more talent in the monitors, please?

I know it sounds crazy, but try to learn to inhale your voice. www.thebelcantotechnique.com

Chris is the king of relating music things to other objects in real life.