Hey UG, i got curious and opened up my fairly new acquired cab the other day to check out what kind of speakers it had. they were un-marked so presumably generic Crate custom speakers. ( i bought this amp head and cab for $150 , 2 packs of ciggs, and a bottle of jeiger so i didnt expect much)it was sold to my cousin about 11 years ago and to me 2 months ago. the amp sounds great but when i crank it ridiculously loud (150w all tube crate amp in a bedroom) and it gets close to max level the sound kind of flattens out and loses all the bass and really isnt as loud as it should be. im pretty sure its not a tube problem because i just had all 8 preamp and 6 power amp tubes replaced about a month ago. so im looking for some good speakers that can:

Provide a well rounded tone, a.i. not to trebbly.
Has good Bass response (love me my bass)
will sound good through a downtuned guitar and standard (Drop B,C and E440)
reasonably priced....not really looking to spend more then $100 per speaker.

Sorry if some of that info is irrelevant or lacking. i really dont know requirments for speakers so ide be happy to fill in any missing info. as far as genres:

Metal (thrash, 80's stuff like ozzy, and modern stuff like Djent >.<
jazz, funk
Quote by kangaxxter
The only real answer to the SG vs Les Paul debate is to get a Flying V and laugh at all the suckers who don't have one.

Quote by Blompcube

if you embrace inaccurate intonation it can be quite arousing.

I <3 TWEED
Are you looking for a britsh or american voiced speaker?

V30's are pretty standard, I have one in my whitebox, worlds better than the crate speaker in my old cab. The hellatone 30/60 from avatar is a broken in v30, so that's also a good choice.

Eminence Wizard or governor would work too, a bit cheaper than the v30. The wizard may be too aggressive. Texas heat is good if you're looking for an american voicing. You can always mix and match, the x pattern is very popular if you have a 4x12.
For Frodo!
Quote by jrcsgtpeppers
No because a world full of marbles silly man is just as real as a half empty glass of microwaved nesquik.
Last edited by robertito696 at Aug 4, 2011,
Quote by robertito696
Are you looking for a britsh or american voiced speaker?

V30's are pretty standard, I have one in my whitebox, worlds better than the crate speaker in my old cab. The hellatone 30/60 from avatar is a broken in v30, so that's also a good choice.

Eminence Wizard or governor would work too, a bit cheaper than the v30. The wizard may be too aggressive. Texas heat is good if you're looking for an american voicing. You can always mix and match, the x pattern is very popular if you have a 4x12.

i dont know what to choose between the american and british voicing. like i said, i like to play a lot of ozzy type marshall stuff but i know the speaker wont get me their sound....thats all in the marshall. so i guess im going to head toward the american voicing because the way my style has developed is mostly shred on my jackson (standard tuned) and just heavy riffing on my LTD (drop tuned). definitely more modern sounding
Quote by kangaxxter
The only real answer to the SG vs Les Paul debate is to get a Flying V and laugh at all the suckers who don't have one.

Quote by Blompcube

if you embrace inaccurate intonation it can be quite arousing.

I <3 TWEED