Cabinet Distortion

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Hi guys,

I'm actually not a bassist, but the bassist in my band isn't really into doing gear research himself (he's a vocalist at heart).

We've got a BX4500H head and a Hartke VX410 cab, the set up sounds ok, but when we try to get it up to practice levels it starts to distort the lower notes. After looking up the specs of them I have an idea why, 450W amp 400W cab.

My question is, if our bassist were to get the VX112 cabinet and stick it in the mix, would we get less / no distortion from the cabinet? I'm a drummer/guitarist so excuse my lack of knowledge in the area seeing as guitar cabinets are usually twice the wattage of the heads, or more!

Thanks in advance.
the bx4500H is a behringer head right? if it is its probably not pushing the 450 it says it is so thats probably not your problem.
no sir away a papaya war is on
So more likely broken amp / cab? That sucks, seeeing as we have no dedicated bassist, we have no one dedicated to spending money on bass rigs.
My slightly biased view is that it's more likely a problem witht he head than the cab. Do you have a guitar head to try through the cab to check?
Quote by UraniYum
Fuck you I'm trying to be caring and shit

Quote by Cb4rabid
Okay guys, I have a confession to make. Not really a confession since it's something that's been bugging me for awhile but I've always been in denial about it.

**** you gilly, it's not what you think
About how loud are you practicing? Sounds like the amp is peaking at high volumes when you hit the low notes causing it to distort.

That's likely the problem.

Love the Low end
Less gain, more volume, then adjust gain to taste. I'm gonna guess the Hartke cab is 8 ohms which means you wouldn't be getting the "450" watts out of the Behringer head. You're probably trying to push the amp too hard.
And if you're not well... Just buy a new amp.
Basses:
Fender Precision Bass
Fender Jazz Bass
1967 Fender Coronado Bass II
Warwick Star Bass
Squier Precision Bass TB
Quote by consecutive e
Less gain, more volume, then adjust gain to taste. I'm gonna guess the Hartke cab is 8 ohms which means you wouldn't be getting the "450" watts out of the Behringer head. You're probably trying to push the amp too hard.
And if you're not well... Just buy a new amp.

Good call on master first then gain, plus the behringer is 450w peak, not rms at 4ohms, so at 8 ohms, it probably puts out something like 150w or less rms.

I used to own one and that little guy doesn't put out a lot of power. If you guys are practicing too loudly, I can see having to crank it until you get some unpleasant distortion. If you're playing at reasonable levels though, I think you could get it moving more than enough air with a 4*10 without distorting. Sounds like either something is actually broken on the cab or amp end, or you guys could just turn it down.

Of course I'm of the mind that you shouldn't crank anything "up to practice levels." You want to practice pretty quietly so that everyone learns to hear each other properly and relies on their ears instead of monitor mixes. Leads to tighter playing, better dynamics, etc.
Last edited by dullsilver_mike at Aug 6, 2011,