Poll: Which guitar would be ?
Poll Options
View poll results: Which guitar would be ?
Jackson Demmelition King V
9 64%
Jackson King V KV5FR
5 36%
Voters: 14.
http://www.musiciansfriend.com/guitars/jackson-kv5fr-king-v-electric-guitar-with-floyd-rose-tremolo/502567000397000

http://www.musiciansfriend.com/guitars/jackson-phil-demmel-demmelition-king-v-electric-guitar

I really love the specs for both and I don't own a Jackson guitar despite me really liking the craftsmanship of them.

The only thing that bothers me about the Demmeltion V is that it IS a signature model and it has active pups (I was hoping my next guitar would have passives). The specs otherwise and ESPECIALLY the shape and look play a significant part in this guitar winning me over. If I personally never saw this model before and went into a custom shop to create my own suped up King V, the body would ABSOLUTELY look like this.

The KV54FR has more or less the same specs. I really prefer passive pickups over actives so the fact that this guitar has passives is a big plus. On the down side, even if I got this guitar in the cool bolted metal paintjob it just looks so boring, vanilla to me. This wouldn't be as much of a deal if my last guitar didn't have a nearly Identical body shape (of course the Demmelition is similar as well but the KV5FR and NJ Deluxe V of mine are MUCH more similar looking which I wanted to stray away from).

Anybody have thoughts on these two guitars and how I should go about my choice?

Thanks in advance.
-----
Currently using:
B.C. Rich NJ Deluxe Jr. V
B.C. Rich Revenge Warlock
Bugera 6262 212 120 Watt amp :

Coming soon:
B.C. Rich Pro X Mockingbird Hardtail
Well, you really shouldn't be bothered if it's a signature model or not. I think you may be able to get the KV5FR in a different color than the Bolted Steel graphic as well.
I'd go with the KV5FR, myself. The shapes are similar, but...eh. You'd prefer passive pups, and the Demmelition V is $150 more. You could probably mod your KV's body to look like a Demmelition's for less. xD
Quote by SlayingDragons
Nah, I prefer to tune lower. My tunings usually go into weird Hebrew symbols.
I've no guitar expertise to give out, but can I put in my 2c as just a guy?

It seems to me you actually want the Demmelition way more than the King V, and the only thing keeping you from deciding on it is the fact that it's a sig. This tends to be a problem with most guitars because sigs are way overpriced for their specs. But this isn't the case, the specs are pretty on par, as you yourself said, and the price difference isn't thaaat much (150 on a 1000-plus buy)

Also, if the active pups prove to be too much of a bother, you can always switch them out, but it will be much harder to be fix the situation if later down the line you find out you actually liked the Demmel look that much better.

Just my thoughts on this. I've learned (as long as you can comfortably afford it, of course) never to settle for less than what "your heart wants", you'll always regret it later.
sounds like you like the demmelition so you should go for that. you can always change the pickups later if you really want to.
pickups can always be changed but body shape cannot. if you like the phil sig body better then go with that. i have owned an alexi 600 for a while and the fact its a sig doesnt really bother me cuz half the time people wish they could have it lol.
Thanks a lot for the opinions guys. I think deep down you guys really are right. The Demmelition is to sweet of a score for me topass up.Just one more thing though.My other concern was that since both the Demmelition and my NJ V are loaded with active emg's that they would sound too much alike (albeit the Demmeltion having an 89 in the neck and my NJ V an 85). An urban legend I've heard of emg's and perhaps actives in general is that they can make two guitars sound very similar regardless of other factors (which is a shame because I LOVE a good Alder body). Can someone shed some light on that?
-----
Currently using:

Coming soon:
Quote by TheBodomBullet
Thanks a lot for the opinions guys. I think deep down you guys really are right. The Demmelition is to sweet of a score for me topass up.Just one more thing though.My other concern was that since both the Demmelition and my NJ V are loaded with active emg's that they would sound too much alike (albeit the Demmeltion having an 89 in the neck and my NJ V an 85). An urban legend I've heard of emg's and perhaps actives in general is that they can make two guitars sound very similar regardless of other factors (which is a shame because I LOVE a good Alder body). Can someone shed some light on that?

changed the pups to passive. jb/jazz or 59 doesn't hurt. i have a jb in my jackson rr5 and it doesn't sound bad at all. although i do plan on changing them because i want something different. in all honesty i think there will be a difference in sound between the two guitars not to much but slighty
Simple. Sell the EMGs and buy passives...

It's something of an Urban Legend... Is the Jr. V all mahogany or does it have a maple neck too? If so, they'll sound somewhat similar, but there ought to be a difference between the alder/mahogany bodies.
Then there's this band called Slice The Cake...

Bunch of faggots putting random riffs together and calling it "progressive" deathcore.
Stupid name.
Probably picked "for teh lulz"

Mod in UG's Official Gain Whores
the phil demmel has OFR the king v might not...
Fender Strat 60th Anniv HotRoded
others

Marshall 1980 JMP 2203
Marshall JCM900 1960A Cab
Valve Jr.

VOX v847a Modded
EHX Small Clone Modded
Maxon OD-820
MXR 1978 Flanger
Digitech Whammy
TC Polytune
Custom LPB-1 Boost
Quote by Shinozoku
Simple. Sell the EMGs and buy passives...

It's something of an Urban Legend... Is the Jr. V all mahogany or does it have a maple neck too? If so, they'll sound somewhat similar, but there ought to be a difference between the alder/mahogany bodies.

Yeah, the Jr. V does happen to have a maple neck as well as a Nato (eastern mahogany) body. I'm just worried about having them sound identical.

I'm obviously paying a lot for feel and look. I'd like to get at least a little uniqueness out of the character of the sound of the guitar as well.
-----
Currently using:

Coming soon:
Are you going to be detuning? the demmelition comes in Drop B right out of the factory so its more optimised for dropping. not that you can't detune with the king v, but you'll have to setup the floyd and all that
Quote by sewoo55
Are you going to be detuning? the demmelition comes in Drop B right out of the factory so its more optimised for dropping. not that you can't detune with the king v, but you'll have to setup the floyd and all that

I did find that out when I researched the guitar so at first I'll definitely be playing in Drop B (no gripes here, great chances to learn/play some Machine Head stuff). Eventually I'll have it set up for either D Standard, E Standard, or Drop D (once I get my third guitar I'm gonna try to sort out which guitars will stay in what tuning).
-----
Currently using:

Coming soon: