So I have been thinking about something for a while now. If every living organism in existence were to suddenly die, would life ever "restart"? Like, cause there must have been a point of time when there was no life, and from that we had microorganisms and so on...
Sure. The real question is, "Does it matter?" *Twilight Zone Theme*
Give me the number of your dealer. Now.
I can only listen to so many breakdowns and "spoken word" vocals before I wanna puke.

I find Jennette McCurdy attractive, but Elizabeth Gillies and Debby Ryan much more so.

That's enough, Djent people. We get it.
Only if God wanted it to.
“Just to sum up: I would do various things very quickly.” - Donald Trump
it is possible because planets will be constantly forming
HILT!

Where's Waldo?

if the conditions are right, they would.
Quote by guitarxo
I had a dream about your avatar once, so yes of course.

Quote by Bladez22

every time i see that twirling electrode avatar of yours I know that the post is worth reading or the link is worth clicking

"Life will find a way"
Quote by lambofgod127
btw im in hs and im almost 18 so if u do think she was flirting with me dont say that its wrong im almost a grown man.

༼ ▀̿Ĺ̯▀̿ ̿ ༽ WE ARE ROB ༼ ▀̿Ĺ̯▀̿ ̿ ༽
My answer is a definite maybe. Obviously the Earth is a lot different now than it used to be, so maybe it would be easier or not for life to restart.

Either way, I think I should point out that you didn't really specify to well whether you meant life on Earth, or all life (that I assume, as do many others) that is out there.
Keep you doped with religion and sex and TV
And you think you're so clever and class less and free
But you're still fucking peasants as far as I can see

A working class hero is something to be.
Definitely, maybe. Check out Abiogenesis on Wikipedia.

Off topic, but oddly enough I'm listening to the SOAD track "Question!".

You ****ing mind ninja.
Last edited by ali.guitarkid7 at Aug 5, 2011,
Quote by fearofthemark
if the conditions are right, they would.

this is correct. Earth is very capable of hosting life right now, but with all life gone, idk how or if they Earth would be capable of creating life again.
DECRESCENDO
Quote by CrabSoldier X
this is correct. Earth is very capable of hosting life right now, but with all life gone, idk how or if they Earth would be capable of creating life again.

Possibly it wouldn't, conditions on earth when abiogenesis took place about 3 and a half billion years ago were apparently quite different to how they are now, so maybe the earth no longer has the right conditions for abiogenesis to take place
Quote by SlackerBabbath
Possibly it wouldn't, conditions on earth when abiogenesis took place about 3 and a half billion years ago were apparently quite different to how they are now, so maybe the earth no longer has the right conditions for abiogenesis to take place

Well, considering that the conditions were altered in great part by the existence of life itself, it is possible that the Earth would revert back to its primitive state. I suppose the problem with that is that the time required may exceed the implicit time restraints on the whole ordeal, like the time before the sun goes Red Giant.
My signature lacks content. It is, however, blue.
Quote by MAC2322
Well, considering that the conditions were altered in great part by the existence of life itself, it is possible that the Earth would revert back to its primitive state. I suppose the problem with that is that the time required may exceed the implicit time restraints on the whole ordeal, like the time before the sun goes Red Giant.

The Earth will never revert back to the state that it was in when the first self-replicating molecule was formed. The atmosphere was very toxic and Earth had much more volcanic (and therefore electrical) activity. It is likely that these were some of the biggest reasons for why self-replicating molecules were able to be formed (heat in particular is a very important factor in many chemical changes).

So if suddenly there was no life on Earth, it is unlikely that living organisms would re-appear in the same way.

We also need to think about what it means to be 'living'. Is a virus living, for example?
Quote by Machanix
We play guitar.... we're automatically on top of the world.

Life Is A Lemon And I Want My Money Back!

A Wasted Youth
Is Better By Far
Than A Wise And Productive Old Age

Good Girls Go To Heaven, But The Bad Girls Go Everywhere!
Quote by instagata0
The Earth will never revert back to the state that it was in when the first self-replicating molecule was formed. The atmosphere was very toxic and Earth had much more volcanic (and therefore electrical) activity. It is likely that these were some of the biggest reasons for why self-replicating molecules were able to be formed (heat in particular is a very important factor in many chemical changes).

So if suddenly there was no life on Earth, it is unlikely that living organisms would re-appear in the same way.

Fair enough.

We also need to think about what it means to be 'living'. Is a virus living, for example?

Well, that's a whole other situation entirely, and one I'm not too keen to get into right now.
My signature lacks content. It is, however, blue.
ITT: Maybe
Quote by UntilISleep
You have excellent taste in literature, dear sir

Quote by Primus2112
You have excellent taste in video games, good sir.

Quote by GbAdimDb5m7
You have terrible taste in signatures, idiotic sir.

kkoo