Okay, so I've decided that I really like the tone that a Marshall JCM2000 TSL 100 has for old school thrash after using one in my previous band, Judgment Hammer. See thing is, in MY PERSONAL OPINION, I think Marshall is overpriced. So, is there any amps out there that are relatively inexpensive that can give a similar tone? Here's kind of what I'm looking at:
1) Peavey Windsor Head
2) Bugera 1990
3) Carvin X100B, the ValveMaster, and some of the SX Series

Please help. I just don't wanna overpay for something cuz that's a lot of money at hand here. Thanks!
~SW

EDIT: I CAN NOT try any of these out as no stores/shops in my area carry them.
Last edited by Skylar W. at Aug 5, 2011,
HILT!

Where's Waldo?

My advice would be to first look for an used JCM2000 TSL. I own one myself, bought it used for around $850 (£520). Otherwise you'll have to ask other people for something that sounds the same.
Quote by Miiiiks
My advice would be to first look for an used JCM2000 TSL. I own one myself, bought it used for around $850 (£520). Otherwise you'll have to ask other people for something that sounds the same.

Yeah. I've found 'em from anywhere around $550 to $900. It's just that some people jack the price way up cuz it says "Marshall" on it, ya know?
dont get the carvin x100B if your gonna get it you need the original not the re issue....my friends band mate has one and there bad for metal....more mellow stuff not thrash tho...
GEARZ

Schecter Hellraiser
TS 808 modded tubescreamer
MXR six band EQ
boss DD-3 digital delay
Boss CE-5 Chorus Ensemble
ISP Decimator
1998 Marshall JCM2000 DSL 100
Quote by GoodOl'trashbag
dont get the carvin x100B if your gonna get it you need the original not the re issue....my friends band mate has one and there bad for metal....more mellow stuff not thrash tho...

There's a reissue? I'll look into that. But stay away from the original, correct?
Quote by Skylar W.
Yeah. I've found 'em from anywhere around $550 to $900. It's just that some people jack the price way up cuz it says "Marshall" on it, ya know?

550-900 isn't a jacked up price. It is substantially cheaper that what one would be new. These amps are well worth the used going price.
i am unsure of you budget, but i would look at a splawn quickrod. it will sound 100x better than anything marshall makes.

if you are patient you can find one for $1100-$1200 used and it is incomparable to anything marshall has made in the last 20 (estimation, not exact) years.

you have three drive settings known as gears, all with OD1 and OD2, as well as a solo boost.

top quality stuff made in the usa in a small shop out of dallas, north carolina.
WTLT 2014 GG&A

Quote by andersondb7
alright "king of the guitar forum"

Quote by trashedlostfdup
nope i am "GOD of the guitar forum" i think that fits me better.

Quote by andersondb7
youre just being a jerk man.

****** NEW NEW NEW!
2017-07-07 2017-07-07 Update and a Chat On Noise Constraints *** NEW FRIDAY 7/7
2017-04-13 RUN AWAY from COMPUTERS!!! TCE? RANT ALERT!!!
2017-03-02 - Guitar Philosophy 1001- Be Prepared For the Situation (Thursday 2017-03-02)
2017-02-21 How to Hot-Rod the Hell of your Stratocaster for $50! (Tuesday 2017-2-21)
Resentments and Rambling from a Guitar Junkie
---> http://trashedengineering.blogspot.com/
The Peavey JSX is like a JCM2000 but better.
Spin 'round carousel when your horse isn't screwed in.

My band:
Fractured Instinct
(For fans of Death/Groove/Prog Metal)

Ibanez RGA42E
Ibanez S420
LTD H-301
Ibanez RG520
Peavey Predator USA
Douglas Grendel 725
Line 6 Pod HD500X
Quote by trashedlostfdup
i am unsure of you budget, but i would look at a splawn quickrod. it will sound 100x better than anything marshall makes.

if you are patient you can find one for $1100-$1200 used and it is incomparable to anything marshall has made in the last 20 (estimation, not exact) years.

you have three drive settings known as gears, all with OD1 and OD2, as well as a solo boost.

top quality stuff made in the usa in a small shop out of dallas, north carolina.

Awesome, man. It'd take me a good while to get that much money together, but I'll definitely look into it.
Quote by Offworld92
The Peavey JSX is like a JCM2000 but better.

I'm not looking for a crazy high gain amp though. I want a nice crunchy tone that you hear on old 80s thrash records from Razor and the like. Is that possible with a JSX?
Quote by zackk
550-900 isn't a jacked up price. It is substantially cheaper that what one would be new. These amps are well worth the used going price.

Yeah. My buddy got two 1960 cabs with Celestions and a TSL 100 head for about $1800.
Quote by jose1216
he said say away from reissue

Got it, dude. I didn't fully understand his comment at the time. Kinda slow tonight haha.
You don't have to turn the gain right up on the JSX you know? They get pretty crunchy if you keep the gain down a bit. also the XXX and the Ultra.
The 1990 is more like a JCM900. Will do the job but is still not like a TSL/DSL. They are buzzier. You'd do better with a 333.
Maybe a DSL401? Only a 40W 4xEL84 amp but they are quite nice and will get over a drummer with ease. Will do old thrash well.

Edit. What about the 1960? Don't know a lot about those. I'll let one of the Bugera boys comment on that.
Gilchrist custom
Yamaha SBG500
Telecasters
Randall RM100 & RM20
Marshall JTM45 clone
Marshall JCM900 4102 (modded)
Marshall 18W clone
Fender 5F1 Champ clone
Atomic Amplifire
Marshall 1960A
Boss GT-100

Cathbard Amplification
My band
Last edited by Cathbard at Aug 5, 2011,
check out the blackstar ht40

or others with more wattage if you need it
My Gear
Guitars:
-Gibson Les Paul Tribute (Bare Knuckle Nailbombs)
-Ibanez "lawsuit" Les Paul (Seymour Duncan Pegasus and Sentinent)
-Ibanez S470 (Dimarzio D-sonic and Humbucker from Hell)
-PRS SE Custom (Guitarforce Black Diamond and Lord of the Blues)

Amp:
Marshall TSL100
EVH 5150III EL-34 50w
Marshall 1960a cab

Effects:
Dunlop 535q wah
Boss Super Chorus
Bogner Uberschall
Ibanez DE7 Delay
Electro-Harmonix Power Booster
Fender PT100 Pedal Tuner

Strings:
Ernie Ball Skinny Top/Heavy Bottom 10-52
Quote by Cathbard
You don't have to turn the gain right up on the JSX you know? They get pretty crunchy if you keep the gain down a bit. also the XXX and the Ultra.
The 1990 is more like a JCM900. Will do the job but is still not like a TSL/DSL. They are buzzier. You'd do better with a 333.
Maybe a DSL401? Only a 40W 4xEL84 amp but they are quite nice and will get over a drummer with ease. Will do old thrash well.

Edit. What about the 1960? Don't know a lot about those. I'll let one of the Bugera boys comment on that.

Isn't the 1960 more modeled after a Plexi? How'd that do for thrash? And yeah, I guess you're right about that JSX deal. Wouldn't have to crank the gain of course. I'm really looking into that DSL401. Only thing is, the TSL100 has AMAZING cleans. Do you know if that DSL401 has comparable cleans? And does it have that nice mid crunch?
Quote by JLT73
check out the blackstar ht40

or others with more wattage if you need it

I was playing through the HT20 yesterday. It was alright, but I couldn't quite get the crunch that I was looking for out of it. It might of just been because of the guitar I was playing through it which was just a cheap little Les Paul, but I don't know. I wish I could of tried my guitar through it, but just from what I heard, it wouldn't be my first choice I guess.
Quote by Cathbard

Oh, I also used to have a 333XL. It was pretty good, had great tones for metal. But I could mostly just get modern metal tones out of it. Of course, that was quite a while back when I didn't know as much about proper EQing.
DSL 401 has nice cleans but it won't stay as clean for as long. However they are loud enough that the cleans remain there even at drummer levels.
They have a better mid range crunch, especially if you do it right, ie. turn the sucka right up until the EL84's start to overdrive. In a similar way that an 18W Marshall has more crunch than a 100 Plexi but applied to higher gain amps. A 401 turned up to 9 sounds awesome but there aren't many places you can do it - a lot more than a TSL100 though, that's for sure.
But even still, the DSL is a crunchier amp than a TSL and a 401 is the crunchiest DSL of all.

Edit: The 1960 is a Plexi? Well the early Metallica was a plexi but it was modded the hell out of and is now the thing of legend. To use a Plexi for thrash you have to boost it quite a lot.
Gilchrist custom
Yamaha SBG500
Telecasters
Randall RM100 & RM20
Marshall JTM45 clone
Marshall JCM900 4102 (modded)
Marshall 18W clone
Fender 5F1 Champ clone
Atomic Amplifire
Marshall 1960A
Boss GT-100

Cathbard Amplification
My band
Last edited by Cathbard at Aug 5, 2011,
Quote by Cathbard
DSL 401 has nice cleans but it won't stay as clean for as long. However they are loud enough that the cleans remain there even at drummer levels.
They have a better mid range crunch, especially if you do it right, ie. turn the sucka right up until the EL84's start to overdrive. In a similar way that an 18W Marshall has more crunch than a 100 Plexi but applied to higher gain amps. A 401 turned up to 9 sounds awesome but there aren't many places you can do it - a lot more than a TSL100 though, that's for sure.
But even still, the DSL is a crunchier amp than a TSL and a 401 is the crunchiest DSL of all.

Edit: The 1960 is a Plexi? Well the early Metallica was a plexi but it was modded the hell out of and is now the thing of legend. To use a Plexi for thrash you have to boost it quite a lot.

Yeah man. I heard the 1960 is modeled after a 1959 Plexi or somethin' like -- similar at the least. I found a clip on YouTube where this dude used a Fender S/S/S Strat with the volume on about three and got some nice crunchy Hendrix style tone. Perhaps, because of my pickups being so hot, I could get enough gain to satisfy me? I don't want any more gain than what's on Kill 'Em All.

So, that 401 is the crunchiest? Sweet. I'll definitely dig in and see what all I can find. I'm sure there's somebody somewhere playin' some thrashy stuff through one of them. Thanks for the help, man!
id stay away from the jcm 2000s for metal, never seen one pull off a decent metal tone IMO

especially when theres the jcm 800......
Quote by Seanthesheep
id stay away from the jcm 2000s for metal, never seen one pull off a decent metal tone IMO

especially when theres the jcm 800......

You know the JCM800 and the JCM2000 have an extremely similar voicing... Right? The biggest difference in sound is the 800's more middy.

What you can get with an 800, you can get 95% of with a DSL no problems. Your comment makes little to no sense... IMO.
Best Regards,

Ryan

I'm a Pilot. Like Bruce. I win, you lose.

Gibson Les Paul Vintage Mahogany.

VOX AD15VT
Orange Dual Terror Orange TH30
Marshall JCM 2000 DSL 100
Quote by Skylar W.
I'm not looking for a crazy high gain amp though. I want a nice crunchy tone that you hear on old 80s thrash records from Razor and the like. Is that possible with a JSX?

The JSX can still do it. Turn down the gain and use the crunch channel. The JSX is honestly a really good amp, probably is better than the JCM2000, but something about the JCM2000 entices me more so I got it used for $500. It feels less versatile, but I personally like the sound more and don't regret my purchase.

I'm mainly into metalcore/power metal/melodic death metal kind of stuff, but if you're going for thrash, I'd check out the Marshall 2203KK amp, I've heard people who are into thrash really like that amp, even though I personally don't like that amp after trying it.
Last edited by fixationdarknes at Aug 8, 2011,