Hello guys,
In a matter of one night, with nothing being altered, my tone has hopped off of the amazing mountain that it flagged and to a concrete splinter thousands of miles below. Okay, maybe it wasn't that drastic. But it sounds terrible in comparison to what it was.

I'm running my MIM strat through one of the Deville III's. And as I've said, in a matter of one night, it sounds the opposite of what it once was. I have completely ruled the amp out as a problem, as I've tested that with another friends strat. However, I also tested my strat through his Blues Junior, and it's quite obviously the guitar. It's almost as if all of the "wetness" of each pickup position is gone and it sounds awfully thin and dry.

So here's my question and assumption.
Is this a problem with a component in the wiring of my guitar?
Can pots affect tone?
I've talked to my local tech and he's said that it could be a number of things, including a hair line crack in the solder, pots, or pickups.
I'm taking it to this tech tomorrow, but I'm curious.

Thanks guys.
Yeah, sounds like a cold solder joint, you can go through with a soldering iron and remelt all the contacts just to make sure. If that doesn't solve it, start replacing pots with new ones, if that doesn't work, switch, or whatever order you want, just start ruling things out one by one until you are left with just the pickups, which I highly doubt the pickups would go bad.
Thanks, I appreciate the response. I'm gonna go through, hoping for a change, and remelt everything tomorrow before taking it to the tech. I've never really had much experience with the electronics, so I'm somewhat nervous, and it's a little messy in there. But I guess I should and can take the chance considering that I plan to replace everything within the next month. Thanks again.
Are you using the stock pickups and electronics? I have a MiM strat and I was extremely happy when I changed everything out. IMO, those guitars are good for the neck and body only, the electronics and hardware are terrible. I wouldn't be surprised if it started breaking down after a while.
you're going to want to check the guitar cable,
wiggle the cable at the input to check if it's loose,
and flick the switch to note any tonal issues between
pickups.
Jenneh

Quote by TNfootballfan62
Jenny needs to sow her wild oats with random Gibsons and Taylors she picks up in bars before she settles down with a PRS.

Set up Questions? ...Q & A Thread

Recognised by the Official EG/GG&A/GB&C WTLT Lists 2011
Yes, besides the Schaller tuners I installed, I still have all stock components. And I must agree with you, the stock electronics and pickups don't seem to be much, especially when you have a look at the inside. I intend to replace everything and I'll have the cash to do so in nearly a month, I'm just trying to solve this problem until then.

Did you order pre-wired or did you use a kit when you changed everything out?
Quote by NOLA
Yes, besides the Schaller tuners I installed, I still have all stock components. And I must agree with you, the stock electronics and pickups don't seem to be much, especially when you have a look at the inside. I intend to replace everything and I'll have the cash to do so in nearly a month, I'm just trying to solve this problem until then.

I ordered everything separate from GFS and put it together myself. But you may be able to find a good deal on a prewired pickguard on eBay if you look around and aren't sure the exact pickup you want.
Quote by NOLA

if you want to solve the problem till then,
I suggest you check the cable , the jack
then the switch as suggested.
and post back if anything is noted.
Jenneh

Quote by TNfootballfan62
Jenny needs to sow her wild oats with random Gibsons and Taylors she picks up in bars before she settles down with a PRS.

Set up Questions? ...Q & A Thread

Recognised by the Official EG/GG&A/GB&C WTLT Lists 2011