So I was offered one of these amps in exchange for a p-bass I'm trying to get rid of. I dont know a whole lot about these as far as the tones that can be pulled out of it. I play stuff that is more rock/alternative and some indie, bands like view from an airplane, City and colour, the maine. Now I know I can get all these tones with my hot rod deluxe and my vox with my tele but if I do pull the trigger on the bassman I'd really want it to be able to step into the mix and still get me the same tones. Anyone know if I can do that?

Also, I'd really like to do it without a pedal but if I have to I'll get one and the amp will be played through a marshall 1960b until my Orange 212 comes back from repair. Thanks in advance.
It won't get the same tones as a HRD, it will wipe the floor with a HRD. Get yourself some tubescreamers to go with it.
Gilchrist custom
Yamaha SBG500
Telecasters
Randall RM100 & RM20
Marshall JTM45 clone
Marshall JCM900 4102 (modded)
Marshall 18W clone
Fender 5F1 Champ clone
Atomic Amplifire
Marshall 1960A
Boss GT-100

Cathbard Amplification
My band
I really, really like them. One of the amps I plan on having. You need to put a tubescreamer, boosting a fuzz, boosting the amp. Pure secks.

I need to go jam out with my buddy friend now. He's so leet.
"If you're looking for me,
you better check under the sea,
because that's where you'll find me..."
The Bassman has a great classic sound. But if you are happy with your amp now why trade. Don't expect it to sound exactly like your HRD, and with an amp that age if youre not knowledgable about amp guts you may want to gave someone who is check it over. Lastly unless youre going to push the amp (volume wise) it may be hard to achieve some of those overdrive tones purely with the amp.
Quote by Justice4AllOne
fretz is absolutely right.
Quote by Cathbard
It won't get the same tones as a HRD, it will wipe the floor with a HRD. Get yourself some tubescreamers to go with it.

+1

Also, the Bassman might be worth more than the P-bass...
Gibson Les Paul Studio
Highway One Telecaster
Dean Evo
Mesa F-50
Laney GH50L
Vox AC30 C2
Ampeg V2
pedals
Go for it. Even if you don't like it, that's a fantastic trade.

╠═══════╬═══════╣

Solder fume huffer σƒ τλε τρπ βπστλεπλσσδ

╠═══════╬═══════╣

Electronic Audio Experiments
before everyone gets a boner because he mentioned a bassman, make sure the thing is in proper working order.

people offer up non working or amps in need of service all the time for lesser value gear so they don't have to pay for the repairs on what they have.

also, you will probably need a pedal to get dirt unless you can crank it up every time you want to play.

good luck.
I wondered why the frisbee was getting bigger, then it hit me.
i used an early 70s bassman head back in my band days (80s) and it was a fairly decent amp. as mentioned you'll need an overdrive or distortion pedal depending on the sound you want. the eq on those is kinda limited and of course there is no fx loop. it won't really get the SRV blues sound either by that point fender had changed the circuits some.

gregs right make sure all is good on the head and play it to be sure it's what you really want.
Thanks for all the advice guys, I have someone looking the amp over tomorrow and i'm waiting on what he has to,say before I make my decision. I also managed to pick up a ts808 for 50 bucks. Even if I,dont get the bassman a ts808 for 50 bucks sounds like a helluva deal to me. Hopefully i'll have a NAD coming up soon. Thanks again guys.
Bassman head through a 1960 cab is a KILLER set up. As long as the head's working properly, pull the trigger. +1 on the tube screamer too.

Cheers,
Petey D

Ankle Burner & World Class Sauce Jockey

Sparrow Big Daddy Ace

Sparrow Ratrod Boss

Johnson JT50 Mirage
Yeah check it out. Bassmans all often steals, especially the silverface's right after the switch over. A lot of them still had similar components to the black faces, before cbs started f*ckin with them. I have a 69 and love it. They all run at 4 ohms, so I'd look for a 4 ohm cab, but anything more than that will still do. I run an ocd through mine and love it, so Im assuming a ts will sound just as good.

I'm also running mine through a single 15 inch speaker atm, so the bass response is rediculous. I dig it though.

Hopefully you get it, and post some gut shots if you do!
Quote by Fender/marshall
Yeah check it out. Bassmans all often steals, especially the silverface's right after the switch over. A lot of them still had similar components to the black faces, before cbs started f*ckin with them. I have a 69 and love it. They all run at 4 ohms, so I'd look for a 4 ohm cab, but anything more than that will still do. I run an ocd through mine and love it, so Im assuming a ts will sound just as good.

I'm also running mine through a single 15 inch speaker atm, so the bass response is rediculous. I dig it though.

Hopefully you get it, and post some gut shots if you do!

He should be able to re wire his orange 2x12 to 4 ohms.