...clearly the vocals won't already be cent-for-cent perfect, but how out-of-tune can any certain note be before tuning it would sound out-of-place?
Ibanez AS93
Fender Marauder
Vox Pathfinder 15R
Vocals don't have be perfect...
You know that many many great recording are made without pitch correction.
Auto-tune is a name of a software, not the technique .
For example. in cubase 5 you can correct vocal errors up to 3 semitones before gets easily noticeable.
But, THERE IS NO PLACE FOR PITCH CORRECTION IN ROCK 'N ROLL
Frankly i rather listen to a slightly out of tune vocal than pitch corrected vocals.
Obviously, it's going to be more natural sounding the closer you are, but if you're good with the program, you can make it sound fairly good. Tuning vocals is NOT a substitute for a poor vocalist though - While you may be able to get them in key, that doesn't mean the tone of their voice is going to sound good.

Quote by Nemui-Kuma
But, THERE IS NO PLACE FOR PITCH CORRECTION IN ROCK 'N ROLL

You do realize that practically every modern vocal production now have some sort of tuning on them, whether the vocals are nearly perfect or not, right?
Quote by Dave_Mc
I've had tube amps for a while now, but never actually had any go down on me
Quote by jj1565
maybe you're not saying the right things? an amp likes to know you care.

www.SanctityStudios.com
Quote by MatrixClaw

You do realize that practically every modern vocal production now have some sort of tuning on them, whether the vocals are nearly perfect or not, right?

Yes i know and i don't like it, not even the idea of it.
Most of the modern recordings sound very "clean", "sterile" , "robotic" and the absence of humanity.
I know that most of the times even the guitar's timing and rhythm is corrected in the studio, but i don't get the point... i mean want the listen to something that humans make not something that machines made....

Also perfect made studio albums may result in disappointment if you watch them live..
Imo, albums are for perfecting and tightening the sound and performance to display the composition. Live is about the raw energy.
Quote by xFilth
Imo, albums are for perfecting and tightening the sound and performance to display the composition. Live is about the raw energy.

Yes, make it as good as you can, like led zeppelin did for example....
not as good as a computer can make it.

Also I yet to see a concert that i can enjoy sober.
Quote by xFilth

This. Saying pitch correction makes recordings stale I think is not logical. Most singers can sing the part so instead of pitch correction they just do another take until they get it right. I have never found something that wasn't pitch corrected or had multiple vocals takes I would listen to more than a few times. It's like going to a baseball game to watch your favorite player make errors.
Quote by xFilth
^ this.

EQ is corrective. Compression is corrective. What's so bad about corrective techniques?

I realize it won't fix a bad voice, but I'm really quite content with mine. It's just that as a 21 year old engaged dad, I don't necessarily have all the time in the world to perfect my technical proficiency. I can write songs in my head all day long but singing is limited. I get pretty close, but just not quite there. Nothing that I mind for live purposes, but when it comes to a recording, it needs to be spot-on.
Ibanez AS93
Fender Marauder
Vox Pathfinder 15R
Quote by Nemui-Kuma
Yes, make it as good as you can, like led zeppelin did for example....
not as good as a computer can make it.

Also I yet to see a concert that i can enjoy sober.

I honestly don't see why auto-tune is such a bad thing. It's no different than using a compressor on a guitar (auto-tuning the dynamics). I like to compare it to an author that doesn't correct his/her typos and grammer errors in their book or a movie director that doesn't want to use proper lighting for a scene. If I was an artist paying a lot of money in a recording studio, I would want the album to be as perfect as it can get. Does it honestly give the music more merit that you recorded a vocal part after hundred takes to get it right over just polishing it up within a few takes with some auto-tune involved? And don't forget that most vocal parts are usually copy and pasted in certain parts of a song to save time (and money) when recording in pro studios.
Quote by lextexrex
I honestly don't see why auto-tune is such a bad thing. It's no different than using a compressor on a guitar (auto-tuning the dynamics

actually it is different than that. using auto tune is more akin to having a guitarist have all his flubbed notes pitch corrected because he never learned how to play the guitar right. in most professional business situations like this (that is, when you get signed) they replace the musician that can't actually perform their parts. im not against the occasional punch in to fix something and i'm not against the occasional light auto tune to fix a singular small issue but using it just because the singer can't actually sing is a joke. its a joke on the singer who can't sing, a joke on the rest of the band who's ok with this and it's a joke on the audience that you're trying to convince them that a "performer" can actually sing.
Last edited by z4twenny at Aug 6, 2011,
Quote by muso_catolico
...clearly the vocals won't already be cent-for-cent perfect, but how out-of-tune can any certain note be before tuning it would sound out-of-place?

Depends on what you're using. Melodyne and Autotune are probably the best at it and can go surprisingly far with a note without it sounding weird. It also depends on the voice and the neighboring notes and the settings you're using.
I auto tune my guitar solos, no joke. Everything needs it
Derpy Derp Derp Herp Derp
Quote by Nemui-Kuma
Yes i know and i don't like it, not even the idea of it.
Most of the modern recordings sound very "clean", "sterile" , "robotic" and the absence of humanity.
I know that most of the times even the guitar's timing and rhythm is corrected in the studio, but i don't get the point... i mean want the listen to something that humans make not something that machines made....

Also perfect made studio albums may result in disappointment if you watch them live..

lol go back to the 70's then dude. Every production has tuning on it for a reason. It sounds better to our ears naturally. The same way an out of tune guitar is completely unacceptable.

TS,

The best way to do it is to use the graph tune feature in Antares Auto-Tune. Quick, simple, and sounds great.

EDIT:

QFT lockwolf. I've never done it to guitars. Only to bass.
I've bought, sold, and traded more gear than I care to admit.
I will never use autotune in a track I record. If I want to do something, I do it. I don't want to fool my audience into thinking I can do something that I can't. /my philosophy

My favorite bands (Iron Maiden, Judas Priest, etc, etc) don't use it. I know those singers are absolutely immense, but if you blow, don't try to hide it. The idea that everything needs it is ridiculous.

But I guess use it if you need it. Just don't overdo it, or you'll sound much worse live by comparison.