Hey so I damaged my guitar when it dropped onto the floor which made my neck pickup suddenly not work anymore, though the bridge pickup seemed fine. So I brought it to a guitar shop where they do repairs (Samash) and gave it to them to repair it, as well as give it a nice setup. However, I forgot to ask them how much it would cost and left it with them as their repair guy wouldn't be back till the next day.

My question is, how much do you think they would charge me to fix my neck pickup (if it's even fixable) and a setup (afaik new strings and intonation)? My mom kinda scared me when she was freaking out that it would cost like $100 and although I'm sure it won't be that much, I'm just kinda scared that the bill might be kinda high.
Current/Main Gear
'06 MIA Fender Stratocaster
'97 Epiphone Les Paul Standard Lim. Ed.
'90s Peavey Classic 30
H&K Tubemeister 18
MXR 404 CAE Crybaby
Ibanez TS9
Ernie Ball Jr. Volume
Digitech Hardwire DL-8
TC Electronic Nova Repeater
set up and fix the pick up are fairly easy things to do im sure it wont cost more than 50

unless you pick up is broken than it might cost quitea bitmore but that highly unlieky
well i know my neck pickup works, but only on certain settings. For example, when my amp is on a clean channel the neck pickup doesnt make sound at all but when I switch it to a distortion channel or activate my distortion pedal it suddenly is able to make a clean and audible sound. Btw its a Les Paul 100 as well as a SH-1 in the neck and a SH-4 in the bridge
Current/Main Gear
'90s Peavey Classic 30
H&K Tubemeister 18
MXR 404 CAE Crybaby
Ibanez TS9
Ernie Ball Jr. Volume
Digitech Hardwire DL-8
Im guessing you're looking at a bill of about 75$
You should call them asap and tell them you just want an estimate of how much
it would be to get it repaired and not to actually work on it before you know.
NEW SIGNATURE!
Quote by aeromakesmusic
Im guessing you're looking at a bill of about 75$
You should call them asap and tell them you just want an estimate of how much
it would be to get it repaired and not to actually work on it before you know.

You have got to be sh***** me about that estimate. I will be D-E-A-D if that's the case
Current/Main Gear
'90s Peavey Classic 30
H&K Tubemeister 18
MXR 404 CAE Crybaby
Ibanez TS9
Ernie Ball Jr. Volume
Digitech Hardwire DL-8
It could very easily be &$75 or more... A setup and a change of string could cost $50 and to possibly resolder a pickup doesn't seem like a cheap piece of work for a tech.
No that sounds about right.

Here it's 55 for a basic setup. Which is crap.

Deluxe is something over 100. Still crap.

Repairs are something like 30 for minor stuff (And they don't do anything to your guitar really, this is literally like replacing a nut or something. Don't even put strings on.) and then it gets crazy like hundreds for electronics. Fretwork and wood repair is INSANE. I'd hate to have to do that.

And prices do not include labor or parts. -___-
woow damn. I thought it would run me at the most $30 as the most they ever charged me was $20 and I forgot what that was for to be honest. Gah, well I gave it to them two days ago and hopefully they haven't started on anything though I'm probably just pushing my luck. Damn, wish they would've at least had the courtesy to give an estimate of some sort
Current/Main Gear
'90s Peavey Classic 30
H&K Tubemeister 18
MXR 404 CAE Crybaby
Ibanez TS9
Ernie Ball Jr. Volume
Digitech Hardwire DL-8
I would learn how to do it yourself. Spend $20 on a soldering iron, and a few hours doing research and you can probably do as good or in some cases a better job than the store. The only difference between you and a repairman at the music store (I don't think big chain music stores even hire luthiers) is that they may have more experience than you, but if you know how to follow instructions and aren't an idiot you should be fine.
If it's Sam Ash, first most of them don't do repirs onsite. And they are gonna charge you probably $100+ because they are greedy like that, and have to make money on what they hire someone to do. A guitar cleaning and strings is like $35 with the big stores, and all they do is polish it an restring it.
2002 PRS CE22
2013 G&L ASAT Deluxe
2009 Epiphone G-400 (SH-4)
Marshall JCM2000 DSL100
Krank 1980 Jr 20watt
Krank Rev 4x12 (eminence V12)
GFS Greenie/Digitech Bad Monkey
Morley Bad Horsie 2
MXR Smart Gate
You're not getting out for less than $50, I bet. A setup runs $30-50, and the repair is going to be another $10-20 at least, depending on what's wrong. If they just had to open the control cavity and resolder a connection or two, that's easy. I'd do it free. If they had to pull the pickup out or replace parts, then you're looking at quite a bit more.
How could you take it into a shop instead of asking an internet forum what the problem might be, and then ask an internet forum the question that you should have asked the shop?!