Page 1 of 2
Hey guys, my new ESP came with standard .009-.046 strings, I believe. The thing is, I play primarily in drop D and want to change to .010-.052 because I always have had them on my other guitar. They sound just fine in standard in my opinion. My sister is scared that she won't be able to play in standard because in her opinion big strings always sound out of tune and bad, regardless if it's in perfect tuning. Can someone here convince my family that changing strings is not going to make my guitar sound bad in standard, and say what a difference string guage has on the sound?(I'll show them this thread)
Quote by luxeion
i keep asking my dad for wood. but he keeps getting annoyed (he's working on a house). and i'm too young to go outside.

The thing is, I have no idea about that stuff.. What I do know is, that thicker strings are tighter at lower tuning, and they have more "chug".
Quote by luxeion
i keep asking my dad for wood. but he keeps getting annoyed (he's working on a house). and i'm too young to go outside.

Thicker strings, if anything, hold tuning better. And I always use 10s for standard tuning, I find I can play more accurately with them. Bending is a little harder since they're taught more, but picking becomes more accurate.
Last edited by pwrmax at Aug 5, 2011,
That's tension at work, then.

If your sister honestly thinks they sound out of tune, then (assuming it was properly tuned) she is mistaken. But, in summary, string gauge does not affect the position or sound of any notes. Thicker strings allow for lower tunings, however, and that may be what she's referring to.
BACK IN BLACK

Quote by somedude789
You get squirtle.

HELL YEAH!!!
Quote by shattamakar

But anyway, I don't want to be tempted to consume my semen every time I ejaculate.

http://www.mediafire.com/?ynmumyjj2wm
You might need to fiddle with the intonation a little and that sounds like what she is thinking of. This is basically jsut the tuning accuracy across the fretboard. But really it's not a big deal at all. Pop some strings on, try them, if you don't like them just get some new ones. You've lost 15$ tops and you know what not to buy next time.
You should check the intonation after you switch to thicker strings if it sounds out of tune even when the tuner says all the strings are in tune.
Here's what I think the issue you're facing is. A string being "In tune" is more than just it's fundamental pitch. The string needs to have the right amount of tension to ensure that the note on the 12th fret is precisely an octave above the note on the open strings. This is done by setting the intonation on the bridge. If you use thicker strings with the bridge adjusted for a drop tuning, then the intonation will be somewhat off when retuned to standard (the reverse is also true).
Gear
  • 2004 Am. Strat
  • 2004 Mex. Tele
  • 2005 Esteve Classical

• Vox Valvetronix AD15VT w/ foot switch

• Vox 847
  • EH Stereo Polychorus
  • Ibanez TS-808
  • EH Big Muff Germanium 4
  • EH Small Clone
  • EH Small Stone (USA Ver 2)
  • EH LPB-1
  • PlusEBow
Just go buy some, slap them on, and don't tell her about it. See how long it takes for her to notice.
MY GEAR:
PRS SE Custom 24
Jackson DKA7
Gibson Explorer
MESA/Boogie Express 5:25
BOSS GT-100

BOSS TU-2
Dunlop Cry Baby Classic
BOSS NS-2
VOX Joe Satriani Ice 9 OD Pedal
VOX Joe Satriani Time Machine Delay Pedal
Ernie Ball Strings
V Picks
Quote by ns9977a
Here's what I think the issue you're facing is. A string being "In tune" is more than just it's fundamental pitch. The string needs to have the right amount of tension to ensure that the note on the 12th fret is precisely an octave above the note on the open strings. This is done by setting the intonation on the bridge. If you use thicker strings with the bridge adjusted for a drop tuning, then the intonation will be somewhat off when retuned to standard (the reverse is also true).

This reminds me

TS, what kind of bridge is on your guitar?
BACK IN BLACK

Quote by somedude789
You get squirtle.

HELL YEAH!!!
Quote by shattamakar

But anyway, I don't want to be tempted to consume my semen every time I ejaculate.

I've been playing .10's for a year and a half, and I never got intimated, that must be the problem. Now I am going to have it set up at the local music store, so it shouldn't be a problem IMO.
Quote by luxeion

An official Floyd Rose, on a Eclipse.
Quote by luxeion

my friend had problems with the 10 strings and his floyd(at least i think it is), where he lives there's no store so he can't really tune it lol... so he just uses 9...
Living is a bless, most of the people just exist

i'm out of my mind, insane, and what i say is sht or doesn't make sense, still your reading this.
Last edited by gutu at Aug 5, 2011,
Quote by Koshman32
Just go buy some, slap them on, and don't tell her about it. See how long it takes for her to notice.

This. Also, why should her opinion even matter? Am I missing something?
Quote by Natrone
I'm a pretty hardcore Christian. I would like to sincerely apologize that you ran into that little fucktard

Quote by mystique facade
dale-banez made a fool of himself..lol

my gear:

oh wait, no one cares
It may be that she doesn't understand how to tune/setup a guitar with a Floyd. Maybe this is the cause of the out of tune sound she describes
BACK IN BLACK

Quote by somedude789
You get squirtle.

HELL YEAH!!!
Quote by shattamakar

your sister is stupid, or at least quite misinformed on this particular topic of interest. anyway it's your guitar right? set it up how you like.
I'm a dude, he's a dude, she's a dude, we're all dudes HEY!
What, do you share a guitar or something? The thicker strings are a little bit harder to bend, but they're still fine for standard. I switch from standard to drop-d all the time with those string gauges and it plays great. I can't play thinner strings because I'm used to pushing down harder on them and the notes bend.
NOW PART OF THE

Quote by Robchappers
You are epic my friend ;-)
Quote by RU Experienced?
At this point I'd be more surprised if you found me a Christian children's entertainer that didn't sodomize and eat kids.
Why not just buy one .052 gauge string?

Quote by emad
jthm_guitarist
Warned for trolling!

Quote by metal4eva_22
Didn't you say that you had a stuffed fox that you would occasionally fuck?

Quote by Axelfox
It's not a fox,it's a wolf.
Now that I have an Eclipse, she wants to play it Who wouldn't?I told her she has thicker strings on her acoustic and she says it's because they need to resonate more. She isn't making any sense IMO.
Quote by luxeion

Quote by StrykVladzimsky
Now that I have an Eclipse, she wants to play it Who wouldn't?I told her she has thicker strings on her acoustic and she says it's because they need to resonate more. She isn't making any sense IMO.

Yeah, she's tripping over her own argument now. I thought it might've been a simple tuning issue, but it's just stupidity. Tell her to grow up and play the guitar.
BACK IN BLACK

Quote by somedude789
You get squirtle.

HELL YEAH!!!
Quote by shattamakar

Quote by StrykVladzimsky
Hey guys, my new ESP came with standard .009-.046 strings, I believe. The thing is, I play primarily in drop D and want to change to .010-.052 because I always have had them on my other guitar. They sound just fine in standard in my opinion. My sister is scared that she won't be able to play in standard because in her opinion big strings always sound out of tune and bad, regardless if it's in perfect tuning. Can someone here convince my family that changing strings is not going to make my guitar sound bad in standard, and say what a difference string guage has on the sound?(I'll show them this thread)

Hate to burst your bubble string weight doesn't effect tone all that much

Tone is at least 75% technique 20% amp 5% everything else.

Maybe 1% string gauge. Which should be based on the scale length 24.75 work better with 10-48 even 10-52 with a stop tailpiece and TOM bridge.

9-46 work best for 25.25 this is especially true with floating trems

I can get a deeper and more consistent chug out of standard 9-46 in drop D on my Ibby than people using 10-52.

You didn't mention if your new LTD has a Floyd or not?

You sister could be correct if you're dealing with a FR floating bridge.

Light tops heavy bottoms are a total pain in the ass to get setup correctly with a Floating bridge.

Without getting into the details of how and why a Floyd Rose does what it does.

Even something as "innocent" as changing brands of strings can mess things up.

The good thing about a Floyd Rose is once you get it setup and learn a few simple tricks regarding string changing.

You pretty much tune it when you change the strings and get everything locked down and leave it alone...

I normally tune my Jackson and Ibanez when I change the strings that's pretty much it.

Maybe and it's a pretty big maybe. I might have use the fine tuners after the initial tuning.
Gear
Jackson DK2
Ibanez RGR320EX
Guild X82 Nova
Godin Seagull S6

Vox V847
Vox VT40+ / VFS5 VT

Quote by FatalGear41

Right now, there are six and a half billion people on earth who don't care what kind of tubes you have in your amplifier
Quote by StrykVladzimsky

+1

Thicker strings tend to sound a little bit clearer on acoustics and more punchy on electrics.
Quote by Willowthewitch
*long post*.

All of the relevant information in your post, as well as everything you asked for, has already been posted and remedied.

Also, string gauge does have an effect on tone, playability, and overall setup requirements.
BACK IN BLACK

Quote by somedude789
You get squirtle.

HELL YEAH!!!
Quote by shattamakar

Quote by Willowthewitch

Maybe 1% string gauge. Which should be based on the scale length 24.75 work better with 10-48 even 10-52 with a stop tailpiece and TOM bridge.

Where are these statistics coming from?
Of course string size changes tonality. You don't think a thicker string would have deeper resonance?
Quote by SimplyBen
That's the advantage of being such a distance from Yianni. I can continue to live my life without fear of stumbling upon his dark terror.

Quote by Toppscore
NakedInTheRain aka "Naked with shriveled pencil sized bacon In The Rain"
in the politest way possible, your sister is wrong. Strings make 0 difference to tuning, the only thing that can be said is that thicker strings will have a higher tension, which in many ways is good. going from 9 to 10 is not a big step at all, you will barely feel the difference.

As for proving to her that it makes no difference, just look up tuning and restringing videos on youtube, plenty of them say things like "this won't affect tuning" as part of their chatting away.

You only need to check the intonation (if it is sharp or flat at the 12th fret) when the heavier strings are on, and it is very easy to fix that anyway.

Alternatively, your sister could get her own guitar? XD
Its your ESP. Your sister can do one.

1977 Burny FLG70
2004 EBMM JP6
2016 SE Holcolmb
What he said.
Quote by luxeion

Thicker strings have a thicker texture, thinner strings have a thinner texture.
One sounds thicker than the other.
Hence thicker strings no one string was made for certain tunings.
Quote by SimplyBen
That's the advantage of being such a distance from Yianni. I can continue to live my life without fear of stumbling upon his dark terror.

Quote by Toppscore
NakedInTheRain aka "Naked with shriveled pencil sized bacon In The Rain"
String do effect tone quite a bit in my experiance.

Ive had strings that sounded really bright, and ones that where really mellow from day 1.

I use 10-52s on 2 of my guitars, my strat in C# standard and my Jag in E standard. The jags shorter scale works better, the strat is okay in E. But the actual thickiness of the strings is gunna make it harder to bend because theyre more dense.
Quote by Willowthewitch

I can get a deeper and more consistent chug out of standard 9-46 in drop D on my Ibby than people using 10-52.

Light tops heavy bottoms are a total pain in the ass to get setup correctly with a Floating bridge.

The good thing about a Floyd Rose is once you get it setup and learn a few simple tricks regarding string changing.

You pretty much tune it when you change the strings and get everything locked down and leave it alone...

I normally tune my Jackson and Ibanez when I change the strings that's pretty much it.

Maybe and it's a pretty big maybe. I might have use the fine tuners after the initial tuning.
I love it when people make up statistics

I love light-top/heavy-bottom strings on a floyd. I don't know if it changes the tone much(I don't do much drop tuning) but it seems to offer more tuning stability, especially with jumbo frets. Thin strings require a lighter touch, which is probably what you should be doing anyway, but I fret my chords kinda hard when I'm concentrating on something and pull the notes sharp if the strings are too light.
Quote by Willowthewitch

What is this? I dont even...

1)Biggest tone altering thing is amp, followed by pup/wood combo, then technique.
Chuck Schuldiner had fair technique, yet his tone was shit until Symbolic. Slash on the other hand was always sub par in terms of technique, yet his tone is very good.

youcantexplainthat.jpg

2)I use 10-54 in standard on 25.5'. there is no such thing as "best for", theres only personal preference and proper setup

TS, change your strings to whichever gauge you want and set your guitar up properly and there will be no problems with anthing
Quote by the_white_bunny
the point of life is to die.
and pay taxes.

Quote by /PurpleWhalez/
Blasphemy as severe as this is fucking unforgivable and by bullshito code you must commit sudoku for disgracing famirys honoru.
^If you're talking about studio albums, then it's money>amp>technique>pickup. Bigger budget equals better recording methods and equipment, and also more time to get it sounding the best.
Quote by Natrone
I'm a pretty hardcore Christian. I would like to sincerely apologize that you ran into that little fucktard

Quote by mystique facade
dale-banez made a fool of himself..lol

my gear:

oh wait, no one cares
Your sister is right. The only problem is her diagnosis is wrong.

Yes, changing your strings to 10's will make your guitar out of tune. She is right and you should listen to her more often.

That's not to say you can't alleviate that issue with some adjustments. It's called intonation. She is probably unaware there are such adjustments but she's dead on calling out the symptoms you will suffer unless those adjustments are made. Even with dead-on tuning if you don't adjust for intonation you will sound out of tune when fretting.

She's not wrong about strings resonating less on her acoustic either when she moved to a larger string gauge.. When she switched to a thicker gauge string she needed to adjust the neck relief, the strings are ALWAYS going to lay on the frets more unless such adjustments are made which will kill resonance and sustain. It's simple physics, you put a larger string on the same neck without adjusting relief it's going to lay on the frets more than the smaller strings when fretting. This is why you get "buzzing" when moving up in gauge.

Lastly, of course string gauge effects "tone". That's a given. I'm not even going to get into it. Use your ears, no scientific facts need to be shared here.

TL;DR: Wish I could shake her hand and remind her to stick to her guns no matter how many tell her she's wrong.
Fender Stratocaster USA Deluxe 2005
MIJ Fender Contemporary Stratocaster '85-'86 HSS System I DiMarzio SD Bridge
Epiphone 2010 Les Paul Tribute
Ibanez AW30ECE Acoustic
Line 6 IV 75w (lol)
Last edited by guitar nubsauce at Aug 5, 2011,
Quote by hr113
Chuck Schuldiner had fair technique, yet his tone was shit until Symbolic. Slash on the other hand was always sub par in terms of technique, yet his tone is very good.

youcantexplainthat.jpg

this.

tone and technique are not the same thing.

string gauge does affect the tone to a small extent - you wouldn't know what gauge strings someone was using just by listening to them, but you'd probably hear a difference on your own guitar if you were used to one gauge and then switched to another. i still think the difference in feel outweighs the difference in tone, though, and you should choose a string gauge according to how tight you want the strings to feel, not tonal reasons.

there is also no direct rule that says one particular string gauge is 'better' for a particular scale length. any guitar can be set up to accommodate any string gauge, within reason. string gauge is a preference thing. i use 11-49s on all guitars, because i find harder string bends easier to control.

the only problems you'll get changing string gauges are things that can be fixed by getting the guitar set up properly for that gauge.
I like analogue Solid State amps that make no effort to be "tube-like", and I'm proud of it...

...A little too proud, to be honest.
Also tell her to get her own guitar, from the way you're describing her it sounds like she doesn't know too much about electrics and you don't want her messing up your FR.
Quote by dale-banez
^If you're talking about studio albums, then it's money>amp>technique>pickup. Bigger budget equals better recording methods and equipment, and also more time to get it sounding the best.

Then how does Dream Theater's Images and Words (before they became successful) have significantly better tones that Metallica's Death Magnetic
Page 1 of 2