I hear it's a royal pain but it would open a lot more options for mein terms of guitar shopping. Thanks in advance guys!
-----
Currently using:
B.C. Rich NJ Deluxe Jr. V
B.C. Rich Revenge Warlock
Bugera 6262 212 120 Watt amp :

Coming soon:
B.C. Rich Pro X Mockingbird Hardtail
I've never done it, but surely you just remove the 9v and wire to relevant pots?
Gear:
Ibanez S470DXQM
Laney GH50L - Laney GS212IE
Boss GE7
MXR Wylde OD
Boss DD2
Boss CE20
Walden G570
as long as the pickups you want to replace the active ones with fit in the pick guard/body cavity then it is as simple as changing a set of pickups on any other guitar. really the only differences with the wiring for active and passives are that actives have a battery and a stereo input jack and depending on the pickup different value pots.
Should be easier considering there's no battery to mess with. I think my EMG's came with 25k pots and passive pickups normally use 250-500k pots.
NOW PART OF THE

Quote by Robchappers
You are epic my friend ;-)
Quote by RU Experienced?
At this point I'd be more surprised if you found me a Christian children's entertainer that didn't sodomize and eat kids.
It's easy.
I did it to my Ibanez RGA. Before that I had never even held a soldering iron...so I figured it out as I went along and result was great...so I'd say easy. Just look up schematics and figure out which components you need and it's easy.
Things with strings:
Ibanez J.Custom, Prestiges, RG8, SR5 bass etc
LP's, Strat, Tele
Noiseboxes:
ENGL Retro Tube 50
5150 III 50W
Orange Terror Bass
you will need to basically rewire the guitar. youll need new pots and new pickups. it isnt really any harder than a normal swap, you just have to keep in mind youll be wiring in all new stuff, not just swapping existing connections
Originally posted by primusfan
When you crank up the gain to 10 and switch to the lead channel, it actually sounds like you are unjustifiably bombing an innocent foreign land.

╠═══════╬═══════╣
τλε τρπ βπστλεπλσσδ
╠═══════╬═══════╣
Not to derail or anything, but will changing the pots in my guitar from the stock active EMG pots to passive (250-300k) pots make them louder or improve their tone?
Maximum volume yields maximum goats.
Quote by Quinlan
Not to derail or anything, but will changing the pots in my guitar from the stock active EMG pots to passive (250-300k) pots make them louder or improve their tone?

I will make them sound weak.

Keep mind active guitars have 3 prongs on the input jack and passive have 2. Typically EMG uses 250K pots if I remember correctly and normal passive buckers use 500K.

Like said above- if the new pick-up will fit in the cavities then new pots and an input jack would have you ready to go. ****Also you must ground your bridge. Active pick-ups do not require a ground for the hardware. It currently may not be grounded and you should check this.
Quote by R45VT
Keep mind active guitars have 3 prongs on the input jack and passive have 2. Typically EMG uses 250K pots if I remember correctly and normal passive buckers use 500K.

I was under the impression that EMG use 25k pots, not 250k.
Quote by Blompcube
it's so cool to hate Gibson, even the federal Department of Justice hates them.

( )( )
( . .) This is Bunny. Copy and paste Bunny into your
C('')('') signature to help him gain world domination.
EMGs and similar actives use 25k pots, whereas passives use between 250k-1meg pots. it isn't THAT hard to rewire a guitar, by the way.
Current Gear:
LTD MH-400 with Gotoh GE1996T (EMG 85/60)
PRS SE Custom 24 (Suhr SSH+/SSV)
Ibanez RG3120 Prestige (Dimarzio Titans)
Squier Vintage Modified 70s Jazz V
Audient iD22 interface
Peavey Revalver 4, UAD Friedman BE100/DS40
Adam S3A monitors
Quote by Anonden
You CAN play anything with anything....but some guitars sound right for some things, and not for others. Single coils sound retarded for metal, though those who are apeshit about harpsichord probably beg to differ.
Last edited by oneblackened at Aug 5, 2011,
Bottom line, very easy but replace the pots with 250-500k, I prefer good CTS 500k pots but you WILL need to replace to at least 250k, cheap any local guitar center or mom and pop shop sells them.
Quote by ragingkitty

EMG use 25k not 250k.

the only thng that concerns me about the swap is the string grouding. when you run active pickups, you don't have that (normally bare) wire that grounds the strings like you would have with passives.

just a thought.
WTLT 2014 GG&A

Quote by andersondb7
alright "king of the guitar forum"

Quote by trashedlostfdup
nope i am "GOD of the guitar forum" i think that fits me better.

Quote by andersondb7
youre just being a jerk man.

****** NEW NEW NEW!
2017-07-07 2017-07-07 Update and a Chat On Noise Constraints *** NEW FRIDAY 7/7
2017-04-13 RUN AWAY from COMPUTERS!!! TCE? RANT ALERT!!!
2017-03-02 - Guitar Philosophy 1001- Be Prepared For the Situation (Thursday 2017-03-02)
2017-02-21 How to Hot-Rod the Hell of your Stratocaster for $50! (Tuesday 2017-2-21)
Resentments and Rambling from a Guitar Junkie
---> http://trashedengineering.blogspot.com/
^Yes - the ground wire is going to be key. It really depends on what guitar it is. Something with a trem should be easy enough to add a ground wire to, but you may need to drill a hole for it.

As for the rest, as mentioned before, it's going to be a complete rewiring of the guitar, minus the selector switch and the output jack. The pots and tone cap have to go.
Quote by ragingkitty

Thanks. Been a while since I installed them. Extra zero on the end shouldn't effect operation, right?
Other than grounding the bridge it shouldn't be too bad. As long as you have some knowledge of how electronics flow I.E. Can you wire a guitar without looking at a diagram? Even with a diagram, its easier if you understand why your soldering things where they are being soldered.
Agile AL3000
Douglas WRL90
SX SR1 STD Plus
J&D Strat
Squier Tele
Sammick TR2
Douglas Draco
Peavey JSX
Bugera V5
TWANGED VJ