Hey guys,

I made one of the worst mistakes of my life by buying a microphone for my computer so I can record my self playing the guitar. I thought it would sound good but in a second I realized what a dreadful singer that I am, I am embarrassed to even sing around people now.

So any way, how do you guys get around this. Not every one is born with a nice sounding voice so how can I sing without sounding like a total idiot. Of course the obvious answer is 'practice, practice, practice', but I would like to know if you guys have any method for a good sounding voice.

any help would be appreciated.
thanks
There are loads of small tips that can improve your overall sound a little bit, i suggest you look around the vocals section of the forum. But then again, nothing really compares to serious training and practice, getting a teacher might be a good idea
Getting a teacher to improve your technique is always a good idea, but also bear in mind that if you're singing directly to a recording device, even the best singer will sound bad unless you use plenty of EQ & effects.
Gibson LP Traditional, LP GT, LP Studio, SG Standard x2
Barber Tone Press > EHX Worm >TC Polytune > MXR Custom Badass 78 > EXH Glove > EHX East River Drive > Zoom G3 > TC Spark Mini Booster
Laney VC30
Marshall TSL602
Jet City JCA22H
My SoundCloud
Just get lessons from an experienced teacher. You'll thank yourself later.
even the best singer will sound bad unless you use plenty of EQ & effects.

Yeah..no.
Quote by GaryHB
Getting a teacher to improve your technique is always a good idea, but also bear in mind that if you're singing directly to a recording device, even the best singer will sound bad unless you use plenty of EQ & effects.

That's absolutely wrong. The point of being a good singer is so you don't have to use all these effects. You can make practically anybody become a good singer if you throw auto-tune and reverb and EQ on their tracks. A truly good singer sounds the same in person as they do on a record.
That's absolutely wrong.

No it isn't - might have been a bit too extreme to say 'bad' though. I've recorded enough good singers to know that if you just leave the recording completely dry it doesn't sound good. Even the best singers need a bit of EQ, not necessarily because of their voice, but because of how the recorder/PA processes the signal the microphone sends.

I'm not going to disagree completely though - I've recorded myself singing enough to know that you can make someone who is average at best sound a lot better with EQ and effects, and thats the point I wanted to make to OfficerRoseland:
Just because his first attempt at recording himself didn't sound as good as he thought it would, that is not a reason to stop singing completely. It's one thing to be able to sing along to a CD, but singing into a mic & recording it can be very different.

Don't give up after your first attempt - keep practising with your vocals to become a better singer, and keep practising with the recordings so you get better at that as well. It won't happen first time, but you will get there eventually.
Gibson LP Traditional, LP GT, LP Studio, SG Standard x2
Barber Tone Press > EHX Worm >TC Polytune > MXR Custom Badass 78 > EXH Glove > EHX East River Drive > Zoom G3 > TC Spark Mini Booster
Laney VC30
Marshall TSL602
Jet City JCA22H
My SoundCloud
^ Oh, for God's sake.... Are you serious?! You're suggesting that a great singer will sound bad without effects?

http://www.now-here-this.com/Edward.mp3

This was recorded over twenty years ago with a cheap ghetto blaster in the back of a church. This is actually a good example of "a great singer will still sound great, no matter what you use to record them with."

Too many people blame the mic, or blame a lack of effects, or whatever for their poor vocal performances.

A great singer will sound great, almost no matter what.

CT
Could I get some more talent in the monitors, please?

I know it sounds crazy, but try to learn to inhale your voice. www.thebelcantotechnique.com

Chris is the king of relating music things to other objects in real life.
Practice matching your pitch to a note on an instrument, and once you can do that decently, start trying to sing scales. I used to be absolutely horrible but doing this has helped me immensely.
Quote by Calibos
Just get lessons from an experienced teacher. You'll thank yourself later.

+1 to this

i got a teacher last november and the difference is night and day. i'm not really awesome yet but i'm so much better than i was before it's ridiculous. the better the teacher the quicker you'll learn i think.
excellent advice guys, I might seriously consider getting a teacher for singing then. Getting a guitar teacher helped me immensely so I suppose a singing teacher would do the same.
Quote by OfficerRoseland
excellent advice guys, I might seriously consider getting a teacher for singing then. Getting a guitar teacher helped me immensely so I suppose a singing teacher would do the same.

if you get a teacher i recommend getting one that went to school for singing and yeah, if the degrees not on display you should ask to see it..... because y'know... i uh, i teach singing too
Well, find out about their background. You don't need a degree to have studied or to have any credibility.

My voice teacher didn't have a degree. He studied voice in Toronto until he was 18, and then left for New York, where he joined the Metropolitan Opera, in addition to becoming the soloist at the church where Norman Vincent Peale (the "Power of Positive Thinking" guy.... his church was so popular that he could have had his pick of thousands of singers....). After leaving NY, he later went on to do performances and recordings with the Canadian Opera Company and broadcasts for the CBC. OTOH, I know people with degrees who teach "drop your jaw, shape your vowels, and push with the diaphragm."

CT
Could I get some more talent in the monitors, please?

I know it sounds crazy, but try to learn to inhale your voice. www.thebelcantotechnique.com

Chris is the king of relating music things to other objects in real life.
Quote by GaryHB
No it isn't - might have been a bit too extreme to say 'bad' though. I've recorded enough good singers to know that if you just leave the recording completely dry it doesn't sound good. Even the best singers need a bit of EQ, not necessarily because of their voice, but because of how the recorder/PA processes the signal the microphone sends.

I'm not going to disagree completely though - I've recorded myself singing enough to know that you can make someone who is average at best sound a lot better with EQ and effects, and thats the point I wanted to make to OfficerRoseland:
Just because his first attempt at recording himself didn't sound as good as he thought it would, that is not a reason to stop singing completely. It's one thing to be able to sing along to a CD, but singing into a mic & recording it can be very different.

Yes it is. Any good singer will sound just fine without EQ and reverb and all this stuff. The only reason those things exist is to put more emphasis on your voice and to even out the mix. No one should have to rely on EQ to sound good. That just means they're not good enough to sing. Anyone can sound good with effects. You've said it yourself. But a singer sounds good without it. I can't sing to save my life. I don't try to sing. But once I put some reverb, delay, chorus, and other effects, I sound alright. That doesn't make me singer. That makes me a fake. No one wants to be a fake.
dont worry if you think your voice sucks. just listen to songs and try to replicate all the notes the singer does. also it helps if you stand up to open up your diaphram. (less voice cracking) also i can only sing alone. knowing other people can hear me kind of throws me off. ESPECIALY WHEN YOUR LEARNING. I like to sing loudly seems the only way i can really do it properly. go somewhere where you know nobody can hear you and sing your heart out! once you know you can sing a little better you will get more confidence. recording in a chair at a computer is a recipe for bad voice.