And I've never played one, or any brass/wind instrument for that matter. Any tips, advice, or miscellaneous info would be much appreciated.
Is that a modern, cutting-edge slang word for a sexual favour?
Proud owner of an Engl Thunder 50 Reverb and an Ibanez S470

"The end is extremely fucking nigh..."
When you breathe in, push your "belly muscles" out. singers do it, and so do wind players: it helps you use your diaphragm for breathing.
Quote by EndTheRapture51
who pays five hundred fucking dollars for a burger
Well I am meeting the guy who's giving me the trumpet in a parking lot and I'm giving him $50 so to some it might seem like something sexual :P

And thank you Banjocal
Get a teacher. You will fail miserably without one. Trust me, I've played for 8 years.
Gingers Unite
Learn about using the tongue on it (still sounds sexual, but i'm serious :P ) or you'll never have good chops.
Is there any specific techniques for using the tongue? I've heard being able to roll your r's is one but i would like to know more since i cant roll my r's. And I'm hopefully gonna contact a teacher soon.
I saw a documentary before about instruments and the best use of a trumpet is to insert it anally. The best use of a flute is apparently as a dildo. At least I think it was a documentary.
Quote by That Old Geezer
Well I am meeting the guy who's giving me the trumpet in a parking lot and I'm giving him $50

I thought we agreed on $70, because I said I'd have a shower first....
Proud owner of an Engl Thunder 50 Reverb and an Ibanez S470

"The end is extremely fucking nigh..."
First step is learning how to maintain your trumpet
Second is learning the correct way to breathe
finally you learn to play.

You will need a teacher though, wind instruments are a little trickier than string and percussion instruments to learn the basics.

Quote by JackalUK
I saw a documentary before about instruments and the best use of a trumpet is to insert it anally. The best use of a flute is apparently as a dildo. At least I think it was a documentary.

Yeah, this one time at band camp I saw a girl do that.
Quote by Nitrate
Get a teacher. You will fail miserably without one. Trust me, I've played for 8 years.

+1
Quote by Dirtydeeds468
Holy Crap.

I love you more than life itself.
Quote by Smokey Amp
I thought we agreed on $70, because I said I'd have a shower first....

You dont need a shower, we'll be underwater when you see me so you can shower then. I heard from somewhere that trumpets sound brilliant underwater so i wanna try it out..
Last edited by That Old Geezer at Aug 5, 2011,
If you try to use your asshole instead of your mouth, people will respect you more...

I don't really know much about trumpets anyway

Just make it look like this and your all set.
Listens to Jazz

Quote by Local666Union
each time I piss in the dark I'm afraid that some wierd plant is going to eat my dick

Quote by Joey-Tribiani

Just make it look like this and your all set.

I'm not black, so I'm guessing this might present a problem..
I played baritone horn for 4 years and at te end of that, I could barely get my lips tight enough together to play trumpet. I have big lips though, so maybe you'll have an easier time. But yeah, teacher... Get one.

Also, that guy^^ has very poor technique. You're not supposed to puff your cheeks out like that.
NOW PART OF THE

Quote by Robchappers
You are epic my friend ;-)
Quote by RU Experienced?
At this point I'd be more surprised if you found me a Christian children's entertainer that didn't sodomize and eat kids.
Last edited by GibsonMan321 at Aug 5, 2011,
Quote by GibsonMan321
I played baritone horn for 4 years and at te end of that, I could barely get my lips tight enough together to play trumpet. I have big lips though, so maybe you'll have an easier time. But yeah, teacher... Get one.

Also, that guy^^ has very poor technique. You're not supposed to puff your cheeks out like that.

I was planning on getting a teacher but i didnt know how the cheeks shouldnt puff out like that. Thank you for that tip
Quote by GibsonMan321

He's also one of the greatest jazz trumpeters of all time so....
Quote by The Late Great Colonel Sanders
I'm too drunk, to taste this chicken.
Quote by GibsonMan321

Yeah, Dizzy Gillespie had poor technique...
Quote by Gabel
You are EXTREMELY WRONG! I have played it. I own an 18W and it would be an awful stereo amp, it's way too bright, breaks up too easily and so on. Secondly, why would a guitar store sell an hifi amp.
Quote by JackalUK
So did Jimmy Hendrix and look at how highly he is regarded.

I was being sarcastic, see.

In response to Ts, that is cool. Do you have any trumpet players that you are influenced by?
Quote by Gabel
You are EXTREMELY WRONG! I have played it. I own an 18W and it would be an awful stereo amp, it's way too bright, breaks up too easily and so on. Secondly, why would a guitar store sell an hifi amp.
Last edited by ripple07 at Aug 5, 2011,
Well I like a lot of trumpeters, but Miles Davis is my favorite. His work on Sketches of Spain is just something really special. What I really like doing though for phrasing is listening to pianist for inspiration. Thelonious, Herbie, Bill Evans, love all there stuff.
Very nice. I love Thelonious, and Miles as well. First time I heard Miles was the song Blue in Green. The way the trumpet comes in, it really stuck me hard. So beautiful...
Quote by Gabel
Quote by JackalUK

American Pie: Band Camp was not a documentary.

Oboes do make a pretty good fleshlight if I must say so myself.
Quote by guitarxo
I had a dream about your avatar once, so yes of course.

Quote by Bladez22

every time i see that twirling electrode avatar of yours I know that the post is worth reading or the link is worth clicking

Yeah that song really got me first time too. The piano in the back is beautiful and light, with Miles doing those long note phrases of him. I think the best thing about that song though is if your listening to the whole album right after Blue in Green fades away you get hit by the piano vamp in All Blues. Its always seemed liked such a nice contrast to me from the transition between the two.
Indeed. Such a beautiful album. The tones they recorded throughout are marvellous as well. I presume you might be playing along with your trumpet in the future.
Quote by Gabel
Of course. Especially to So What, the breaks with the bass fills in the beginning could provide a good place for me to practice improvising when I reach a suitable level of skill.
Start leaning scales as soon as you can, and don't give up on them. If you want to do exams etc, learning a scale a week now will greatly help you furthur on. Learn as much music theory as you can as well, key signatures, actually knowing how to read musi, time signature.
join as many hands as you can. I don't think I can stress this one enough. If you're like me, and hate practicing in the traditional sense then joining some sort of help immensely.
practice with just the mouthpiece sometimes
practice saying "ta", "car"and "ta car" really fast.