Page 1 of 2
can anyone give me an example of a modal song? I'm just curious because I've never heard one.
P.S. I need an actual modal song, not a major/minor key with accidentals.
I'm not a James Hetfield fan
My username is "hames jetfield" because "farty mriedman" sounds weird.

Quote by laid-to-waste
i have rabies from licking my pet rat's face

Jackson DK2M
Digitech RP255
Vox DA5
Casio CTK-6000
i think almost all Dream Theater songs are modal and they are easy to hear within them
I'll chuck a curve ball and say Don't Stop Till You Get Enough - Michael Jackon.
And no, Guitar Hero will not help. Even on expert. Really.
Soundcloud
Quote by djsdabest
i think almost all Dream Theater songs are modal and they are easy to hear within them

Give me the name of a song and the name of the mode.

Quote by laid-to-waste

Jackson DK2M
Digitech RP255
Vox DA5
Casio CTK-6000
Quote by AlanHB
I'll chuck a curve ball and say Don't Stop Till You Get Enough - Michael Jackon.

sometimes i just love the things you say
Quote by TMVATDI
sometimes i just love the things you say

I almost took that seriously
Alan you troll

Quote by laid-to-waste

Jackson DK2M
Digitech RP255
Vox DA5
Casio CTK-6000
Glad you enjoyed that one kids.

What's the chord progression of the song?
And no, Guitar Hero will not help. Even on expert. Really.
Soundcloud
I threw out a TON of modal examples here, start reading at post #30 and continue on through pages of modal application material: https://www.ultimate-guitar.com/forum/showthread.php?t=1360923&page=2&highlight=mikedodge+modal+application
Last edited by MikeDodge at Aug 5, 2011,
I hear Bach wrote some modal chorales (and possibly fugues?) I've never taken the time, but if you search the almighty Internet you'll probably turn up some names.

You can write some very simple modal tunes of your own through species counterpoint. It's a worthwhile endeavor and not too difficult to pick up on the rules. The cantus firmi you'd be harmonizing with are often old--I'm talking oooooold--ecclesiastical chants.
Nothing that is worthwhile in life will ever come easy.
Here's an example with all 7: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=d5lYaUoksJA&playnext=1&list=PL7C814D43F37B9ABB

Just go through the playlist.

And Os Justi by Anton Bruckner is in F Lydian.

Scarborough Fair by Simon and Garfunkle is in D Dorian if I'm not mistaken... I think it's D...

That's all that I can think of off the top of my head
Quote by soviet_ska
I hear Bach wrote some modal chorales (and possibly fugues?) I've never taken the time, but if you search the almighty Internet you'll probably turn up some names.

Credo in Unum Deum from the B minor mass. Based on a Gregorian chant as the cantus firmus.
Quote by soviet_ska
if you search the almighty Internet you'll probably turn up some names.

The problem with the almighty internet is that most people on the internet have no idea about what they're talking about. Like I said in the OP, most people will suggest major or minor keys with accidentals when asked about modes.

Quote by laid-to-waste

Jackson DK2M
Digitech RP255
Vox DA5
Casio CTK-6000
Quote by hames jetfield
The problem with the almighty internet is that most people on the internet have no idea about what they're talking about. Like I said in the OP, most people will suggest major or minor keys with accidentals when asked about modes.

That's true, but you can likely find reputable classical-based sources on the subject. Find something from a university's website: they often post handouts and study guides online that you can back-door through Google. A large percentage of the mode confusion comes from guitarists and other popular music advocates.

You might like to try "The Only Classical/Orchestral Thread" on this very forum and ask for the names of some modal Bach (and other early classical) pieces.
Quote by djsdabest

No, they're not.
^^The above is a Cryptic Metaphor^^

"To know the truth of history is to realize its ultimate myth and its inevitable ambiguity." Everything is made up and the facts don't matter.

MUSIC THEORY LINK
My Lagan Love, a traditional Irish song in the mixolydian mode, has been recorded by many artists.
Quote by hames jetfield

good! you know this already. so you know to dismiss the dream theater suggestion.

d5's suggestions are pretty good. give them a shot.
Anfangen ist leicht, Beharren eine Kunst.
thanks everyone. Now, can someone give me some modern examples?

Quote by laid-to-waste

Jackson DK2M
Digitech RP255
Vox DA5
Casio CTK-6000
I have a question. This track here says it is in A dorian but doesn't it sound too tonal?? So is it really A dorian ( I think it is actually A mixolydian though , seems there was a typo or something)

I just wanna know if this track is tonal or modal

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=wdg8NlRvkQY
Last edited by Unreal T at Aug 5, 2011,
Its a bVII and I in A major, with a IV and bIII. Definitely closer to what you said than Dorian...you mean the internetz got it wrong?

and this one....

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=9SdUMZGGkcc&feature=related

Is in the key of F Major...

LOL - Way to populate the Internet with misinformation

Go forth, You Tube "experts"

Best,

Sean
Last edited by Sean0913 at Aug 5, 2011,
Quote by Unreal T
I have a question. This track here says it is in A dorian but doesn't it sound too tonal?? So is it really A dorian ( I think it is actually A mixolydian though , seems there was a typo or something)

I just wanna know if this track is tonal or modal

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=wdg8NlRvkQY

I've had issues with some backing tracks online. They'll say one thing, but then imply another.

I would just stick to straight pentatonics over that. Nothing modal about it.

About Dream Theater, they're not modal in and of themselves but they do have some modal sections. Like, listen to The Count of Tuscany starting from 1:02. There's a very obvious Lydian section right there. It ends pretty quickly, but it's there.

I'm trying to think of more songs that use modes... I've written a song that uses Phrygian, but it's orchestral. I have another that has a Phrygian section starting at 4:20 and ends at 5:27. There really isn't much in terms of modern modal music.

I'll try and keep you updated if I can think of any. Honestly though, you'll be hard-pressed to find an ACTUAL modal song.

Quickly! I just thought of some more: The first theme (and most recognizable one) is in Lydian. Stone Tower Temple is in E Phrygian.

That's all I got for now though As you can tell, I really like Phrygian
Quote by soviet_ska

Not really. He wrote tonal chorales based on modal cantus firmi. As a result of trying to make a modal melody fit in a tonal context, the cadences often sound quite awkward, and phrases can modulate almost violently, sometimes even in the first phrase (though that's not exclusive to Bach's modal chorales).

Quote by nmitchell076
Credo in Unum Deum from the B minor mass. Based on a Gregorian chant as the cantus firmus.

That's still tonal.
Quote by National_Anthem
Not really. He wrote tonal chorales based on modal cantus firmi. As a result of trying to make a modal melody fit in a tonal context, the cadences often sound quite awkward, and phrases can modulate almost violently, sometimes even in the first phrase (though that's not exclusive to Bach's modal chorales).

Allright then. I guess, TS, you're going to have to go even farther back to find some good modal examples.
You can fake to hear modes.
How?
Take a song like Paul Gilbert's technical difficulties.
Only listen to like the first 4-5 seconds of guitar, that uses a tritone which will give you a small vibe of lydian.
That's how I THOUGHT I was right on my part.
Also you can go to David Lee Roth's Goin' Crazy, and skip to the solo.
Which is, only if listened to the solo mixolydian.
This isn't true modal but it will give you a small vibe.
Plese don't kill me now everyone here.
Quote by liampje
You can fake to hear modes.
How?
Take a song like Paul Gilbert's technical difficulties.
Only listen to like the first 4-5 seconds of guitar, that uses a tritone which will give you a small vibe of lydian.
That's how I THOUGHT I was right on my part.
Also you can go to David Lee Roth's Goin' Crazy, and skip to the solo.
Which is, only if listened to the solo mixolydian.
This isn't true modal but it will give you a small vibe.
Plese don't kill me now everyone here.

That would be a VERY small vibe of Lydian. I'm sure he's looking for true pure modal music.
E:-6
B:-0
G:-5
D:-6
A:-0
E:-3
Quote by Flibo
That would be a VERY small vibe of Lydian. I'm sure he's looking for true pure modal music.

Yeah, it's likely just some suggestive modal playing. Very useful and perhaps the most common application of modal scales.
Quote by AlanHB
Isn't the MJ song in mixo?

Indeed, I don't know why everyone was making fun of you when the song actually appears to be modal.
Last edited by marc137 at Aug 5, 2011,
Quote by soviet_ska
Yeah, it's likely just some suggestive modal playing. Very useful and perhaps the most common application of modal scales.

So, I said something accurate again?
Quote by Flibo

Well the DLR goin crazy solo on itself is in mixolydian.
The song was in D major.
EDIT:Forgot to mention the point that solo is longer.
Last edited by liampje at Aug 5, 2011,
Any Colour You Like by Pink Floyd is in the Dorian mode, the only chords are i and IV.

Eleanor Rigby is said to be in dorian, but I've never done an analysis of it.
I couldn't think of a thing that I hope tomorrow brings
Quote by thegloaming
Any Colour You Like by Pink Floyd is in the Dorian mode, the only chords are i and IV.

The IV is probably just derived from Melodic Minor. They mostly stick to i and IV on "Another Brick in the Wall, Pt. II" as well.
Quote by soviet_ska
The IV is probably just derived from Melodic Minor. They mostly stick to i and IV on "Another Brick in the Wall, Pt. II" as well.

i was just about to say the exact same thing.
What about Sweet Child O mine. Is that modal? D Mixolydian...seems like it resolved to D a lot and uses chords diatonic to D Mixolydian.
Quote by Unreal T
What about Sweet Child O mine. Is that modal? D Mixolydian...seems like it resolved to D a lot and uses chords diatonic to D Mixolydian.

I know this isn't the pit, but, lolwut?

Quote by laid-to-waste

Jackson DK2M
Digitech RP255
Vox DA5
Casio CTK-6000
Quote by hames jetfield
I know this isn't the pit, but, lolwut?

Edit-Now I feel sad for being a dick

Quote by laid-to-waste

Jackson DK2M
Digitech RP255
Vox DA5
Casio CTK-6000
Quote by Unreal T

you mean C#, right? musicians go by more than fret numbers on a guitar.

i'd be more inclined to call it C# major with the B as an accidental. i guess you can argue that it's C# mixolydian, though, and you wouldn't technically be wrong. but looking at it using a holistic musical perspective, 9 times out of 10 you'd look at it as being in a key with the use of accidentals.
Page 1 of 2