I'm too poor for guitar lessons, and, heh, I sort of wanna keep my playing natural and organic, if you know what I mean, so it looks like I'm gonna be teaching myself music theory outta a book

Does anyone know of a good book/books that will allow me to learn and understand keys, music on the stave in relation to fret board, scales and how they are implemented into a chord progession, that sort of thing?

I feel these aspects are essential for me to reach my full musical potential, so I'll be thankful for a bit of help here
music theory for dummies
I'm not a James Hetfield fan
My username is "hames jetfield" because "farty mriedman" sounds weird.

Quote by laid-to-waste
i have rabies from licking my pet rat's face

Jackson DK2M
Digitech RP255
Vox DA5
Casio CTK-6000
Quote by hames jetfield
music theory for dummies

Is that a joke or are you actually reccomending it?
Quote by AgZarp

It's actually a good book
I'm not a James Hetfield fan
My username is "hames jetfield" because "farty mriedman" sounds weird.

Quote by laid-to-waste
i have rabies from licking my pet rat's face

Jackson DK2M
Digitech RP255
Vox DA5
Casio CTK-6000
Learn the notes of the fretboard so you can learn music theory from any source, you'll be better off that way anyways.
R.I.P. My Signature. Lost to us in the great Signature Massacre of 2014.

Quote by Master Foo
“A man who mistakes secrets for knowledge is like a man who, seeking light, hugs a candle so closely that he smothers it and burns his hand.”

Album.
Legion.
I have never read a book that does a good job at explaining music theory that's applied to the guitar, or seen a video or DVD that I would characterize as doing a good job of teaching someone where they feel empowered and ready to move forward and apply it to the guitar. I don't think I will in my lifetime.

As an aside, I know that you said that you are unable to afford lessons, but, I teach all this online and for the vast majority of people there's a way to learn that will fit almost any budget. If you can afford a Hamburger and a coke, you can probably afford a lesson if you are motivated enough .

Best,

Sean
Last edited by Sean0913 at Aug 5, 2011,
Sean and Beebleblargh are correct. Guitarists are known for being quite stupid about music theory. You're better off learning it theoretically and applying it yourself.
Nothing that is worthwhile in life will ever come easy.
I don't have a huge amount of experience with theory books, but I found Fretboard Mastery by Troy Stetina helpful when I first started playing. After that I just bought an Oxford College music theory book and its workbooks called The Complete Musician. Troy Stetina's book was helpful because it related all the theory directly to the guitar from intervals all the way up to some advanced stuff.
Fretboard Mastery by Troy Stetina is a very good guitar-book that teaches both Music Theory and Ear Training at the same time, instead of what most guitarists do: learn music separately and ear training separately and get nothing out of it.
In the beginning you're building on solid ground and learn intervals and ear training exercises to remember them. Then it continues with more and more advanced concepts. In the end of the book it's professional level at the Theory, so the book will keep you busy for a long while!
Troy is a good guy and I know his books well. There's still a significant learning curve to getting all that he teaches, but at least he does try. I don't have anything bad to say about Troy at all, it's more my old slap against the traditional way that theory is taught. It's not any one book or persons fault, it's like trying to stuff an elephant into an envelope. Everyone has that same elephant, because that is all that they have to work with. That is all they know.

It's still an elephant, and its still a chore. And that's my thing, it's not against anyone's intentions or anything, although there are certainly more people out there with hype than substance, in no way is Troy one of them. Troy's stuff helped me in my early development years, I was playing HM Lead 1-2 when the exercises were on a cassette tape!

Best,

Sean
Thanks for replies
I was actually considering Fretboard Mastery, since I already own HM Lead 1 and Speed mechanics for Lead, so I guess I'll go with that, if it'll take me from foundation to pro level

Cheers.
The Guitar Grimoire series is pretty good, also The Jazz Theory Book...I'm a rock guy but I like studying jazz theory. That's why I recommended that one....Fretboard Mastery is great as well!
Quote by RossZ88
The Guitar Grimoire series is pretty good.

not sure if srs...
Anfangen ist leicht, Beharren eine Kunst.
Quote by AgZarp

Do you understand what the "For Dummies" series is for?
Quote by dudetheman
So what? I wasted like 5 minutes watching DaddyTwoFoot's avatar.

Metalheads are the worst thing that ever happened to metal.