Page 1 of 2
Currently, there's a political ad floating around at the top of my UG page. Now, I don't know if it's just the USA, but we care about politics a lot. I mean, half my neighbors are supporting this one candidate in the recall election and put signs up in their yards. I don't think it's a bad thing; it just struck me that we may care too much. Also, it seems no matter what website I go to lately, I get an ad supporting one of the two candidates in this local recall election. Again, not a bad thing...although, it can be annoying.

So, I'm wondering the following: do people in your area care about politics? If you're from a country other the US, how do people show political support there? Do you find it obnoxious, or is it at an acceptable level?
Sorry, I was just watching videos of British tuition protests. What's this about the USA caring about politics?
Surely, if people really cared, there would be little need for loads of political ads and signs as they would have no effect on an already politically informed and aware populous.
"Why should we subsidise intellectual curiosity?"
-Ronald Reagan

"Knowledge is in every country the surest basis of public happiness."
-George Washington
I don't give a flying piece of shit about politics.

edit:

If I live in a democratic country I have a right to not give a flying piece of shit for it.
Last edited by Zeletros at Aug 5, 2011,
Quote by genghisgandhi
I hate hunger. I mean, I know it's important, but it's still really annoying.

Me too, I should probably have lunch soon.
Quote by crazysam23_Atax
How so?

Such a vast amount of people have no political interest whatsoever.
Nobody I know openly talks about politics, not even my parents.

I try to catch up on the news whenever I can, but to be honest, half the language used is a bunch of elitist crap, so that young people like me don't really understand what's happening and end up shrugging it off.

Maybe I just can't be bothered educating myself
Here in the UK lots of people care, but the vast majority are wildly uneducated about politics, and this shows when you get parties like UKIP and the BNP... and the Tories.
It'd probably attract more interest if it was something more than a roughly elected official playing figurehead for a congress that's going to push the same decisions anyway, regardless of who's standing at the lead.

People forget how the US government works, and I always get a kick out of seeing people bash (insert president here) as if it's a monarchy. It doesn't work that way.
Do you feel warm within your cage?

And have you figured out yet -

Life goes by?
Quote by Hydra150
There's a dick on Earth, too
It's you
But on the real, as a political science guy, I need to keep up with politics if I want to do well.
Quote by Zeletros
edit:

If I live in a democratic country I have a right to not give a flying piece of shit for it.
In some countries, it's actually illegal to not vote.
Quote by crazysam23_Atax

But still not illegal to just not give a shit, which kind of shows the massive flaw in such a system.
-Ronald Reagan

-George Washington
Quote by crazysam23_Atax

Doesn't that make you wonder about the basic reason behind a voting system? Usually things that are as beneficial and harmless as they seem don't need to be made law in order to get people to take part.

No, I'm not calling CONSPIRACY!!! WATCH OUT!!

Just something that makes me think.

Life goes by?
Quote by Hydra150
It's you
Quote by strat0blaster
Doesn't that make you wonder about the basic reason behind a voting system? Usually things that are as beneficial and harmless as they seem don't need to be made law in order to get people to take part.

No, I'm not calling CONSPIRACY!!! WATCH OUT!!

Just something that makes me think.

Didn't we have a conspiracy thread not long ago?
TS must live in a neighborhood/town full of old people. Nobody in America under the age of 60 has enough money, time, or motivation to acquire political signs for obscure elections and put them in the yard.
Quote by Butt Rayge
Pretty sure Jesus was decaffeinated.

I'm just a hedonist without happiness
Quote by Zeletros

There's always one floating around somewhere. They're never hard to find

Life goes by?
Quote by Hydra150
It's you
Quote by Zeletros

There was one yesterday
2013 #5 Uger
2012 #7 Uger

Quote by jetfuel495
Jesus, Horsedick, you are my hero

Quote by JayT44
don't worry guys his girlfriend is black, she said it was okay for him to say that.

Stalk Me

Shitty Covers

Original Music

Lastfm
Hardly anyone in America cares about politics. Our election turnouts are pathetic. And even for the people who do supposedly care, it's usually more about personality and who you'd rather have a beer with than anything substantive. However I like what's going on with the recalls in Wisconsin, people are voting on issues that actually matter like who's going to support workers' right to organize and who's going to strip it away.
Quote by jakesmellspoo
ooh look at me i'm ERIKLENSHERR and i work at fancy pants desk jobs and wear ties and ply barely legal girls with weed and booze i'm such a classy motherfucker.
my neighborhood in louisville is pretty politically active and almost exclusively liberal. i remember in the '08 election my ex-girlfriend and i saw a car with a mccain magnet on it, so she took it off RIGHT as the owner walked out to the parking lot. it was HILARIOUS how pissed the owner was and how no one cared because it was a republican.
#DTWD
Quote by crazysam23_Atax
Why? That's kinda vague.

Its pretty UNvague if you take it at face value lol
My God, it's full of stars!
Quote by Dreadnought
Its pretty UNvague if you take it at face value lol
Well, is there any reason why you don't care?
I'd say I do care about the state of the country but I've stopped paying attention to elections because I've become really cynical towards politics in the US.
for the record, i'd say i do care. a lot.

but this doesn't translate into voting for me or getting behind a candidate. to me, there's a difference, politically, between apathy and indifference. just because i'm indifferent to who wins what, doesn't mean i don't care about the state of affairs. dig?
#DTWD
As a political scientist, I've become increasingly apathetic about politics, basically because my education has brewed such a level of cynicism within me that its impossible for my to feign an genuine interest or personal investment in any politician. I stopped seeing those people as ideologues, and now just see them as self-interested, rational actors. I've kind of abandoned the things I used to "care" about, and now I just kind of watch, make predictions, and see if I was right. Either way I just don't care. But then again, I don't care about anything.
Quote by jrcsgtpeppers

If women can be annoyed there arent any women incongress I should be allowed to be pissed off there are no members of pink floyd or the beatles in congress.
Last edited by TunerAddict at Aug 5, 2011,
Quote by ErikLensherr
Hardly anyone in America cares about politics. Our election turnouts are pathetic. And even for the people who do supposedly care, it's usually more about personality and who you'd rather have a beer with than anything substantive.

I don't think that the US's low turnout rates are the result of apathy necessarily, I reckon a great many people care very deeply about politics, but they see little point in voting given that there is so little choice in American politics.
-Ronald Reagan

-George Washington
In the US, the politicians all lie to get elected.
We pretty much always get screwed by whoever gets elected.
The choice really boils down to how do you want to get screwed, with 60 grit sandpaper, or 40 grit sandpaper?
I can't stand political ads. Any informed voter wouldn't be swayed by them anyways.
Check out my band Disturbed
Quote by TunerAddict
As a political scientist, I've become increasingly apathetic about politics, basically because my education has brewed such a level of cynicism within me that its impossible for my to feign an genuine interest or personal investment in any politician. I stopped seeing those people as ideologues, and now just see them as self-interested, rational actors. I've kind of abandoned the things I used to "care" about, and now I just kind of watch, make predictions, and see if I was right. Either way I just don't care. But then again, I don't care about anything.

This is basically what happened to me when I took my American Politics & Government course my freshman year of college. I'm glad I'm not the only one who had that reaction.
I pay attention and enjoy discussing political matters, but I really don't give a shit about politics. And I understand why people in America don't give a shit about politics. All it is is arguing about what people can and can't do basically, and i'd like to think most people are fine with others doing what they want as long as they aren't murdering or anything.

Also, people who argue politics are really ****ing annoying so that also makes me hate it more. That's all it is, arguing over who is right and who is wrong. Politics just suck. I like people who just enjoy life and flip the bird to political affairs.
“Just to sum up: I would do various things very quickly.” - Donald Trump
Quote by Ur all $h1t
I don't think that the US's low turnout rates are the result of apathy necessarily, I reckon a great many people care very deeply about politics, but they see little point in voting given that there is so little choice in American politics.

It's tough to tell. So many people I'm around think the parties are polar opposites. I'm noticing that a lot of the younger generation is noticing the Lilliputian differences between the two parties; this is no doubt partly in thanks to The Daily Show among others. I'm sure there's more older people that think similarly than I'm giving credit to, though.

As for me, I care about politics quite a bit but I'm undecided as to whether of not I'm going to vote.
A lot of people aren't politically active because, frankly, politicians and up being a disappointment due to an elegant concoction of bullshit, false promises and incompetency!
(\__/)
(='.'=)
(")_(")
Quote by Ur all $h1t

Well said.

Life goes by?
Quote by Hydra150
It's you
I suppose I'll vote. My vote doesn't matter anyway.
i don't know why i feel so dry
Page 1 of 2