Go for one of the customs, they are better in my opinion.
Quote by JD Close
Piano dick had some good parts, but should have said "As the business man slowly gets boned", would have accented the whole dick feeling of the album
Every epiphone les paul is made pretty well. I am definitely looking at the les paul customs. And this one is really cool, check out the Limited Edition Epiphone Les Paul Custom Silverburst. MusiciansFriend.com is where I currently buy guitars online. And it s ironic that they are having a sale on Epi LP's right now. Most of them come with cases. There best ones i think are the LP Custom, Goltop, Standard Plus Top or the Prophecy EX. Hope this helps.
Quote by theknuckster
the new Ultra III is out, have you looked at that?

the ultra3 or a custom. i wouldn't really bother with any others.
none, go by a vintage v100afd les paul copy instead
My Gear:
BC Rich Gunslinger Retro Blade
Vintage V100 Paradise + SD Alnico Pro Slash APH-2's
1963 Burns Short Scale Jazz Guitar
Dean Performer Florentine
Bugera 6260
Orange Micro Terror + cab
Digitech Bad Monkey
Zoom G2G
the best epiphone les paul i ever played was the original classic model, with the burst flame veneer. it had such a good feel, and really warm sustain for days...even more than a gibson les paul studio i had
I'm a dude, he's a dude, she's a dude, we're all dudes HEY!
There are lots of nice Gibson Studios or MIJ Epis manufactured for the local Japan market. Used are usually within or just a bit over your budget. Also, check out MIJ copies like Edwards, Tokai, Greco, Burny, Orville, Navigator ... last 3 are a bit pricier. These all have the proper open book headstocks, too.

I think I'll get a Custom then.
Too bad they don't come in honeyburst .
But the black one looks really good though.
Customs are basically Standards with different hardware and binding, no difference in quality whatsoever.
Gear:

- Epiphone Les Paul Standard
- Vox VT-20+

get a gibson
HILT!

Where's Waldo?

Quote by kazetuner
Customs are basically Standards with different hardware and binding, no difference in quality whatsoever.

umm.... you kind of just made an oxymoron.
^ I'm pretty sure he's talking about build quality.
HILT!

Where's Waldo?

i second a used gibson. quality is on par with high level epi's and you won't be stuck with the "epi's suck" generalization
Quote by Duv
And smack an open A chord and hold the body and see if it vibrates like a middle-aged woman's best friend.

Quote by guitarxo
I hope you get raped by a bayonet

Quote by beckyjc
Roland Cube / Vox Valvetronix / Peavey Vypyr / Hitler > Line 6 Spider.