what do you guys think about taking out the 81tw and the 89 in the hellraiser and swapping them?

i was thinking a dimarzio evo in the bridge (heard its real clear and not muddy) and an air norton in the neck.

can you rec any other pickups that would go well the mahogany body of the guitar?

i use hi gain a lot and i use clean just as much.
GEARZ

Schecter Hellraiser
TS 808 modded tubescreamer
MXR six band EQ
boss DD-3 digital delay
Boss CE-5 Chorus Ensemble
ISP Decimator
1998 Marshall JCM2000 DSL 100
Keep in mind that the emg routes are bigger than standard pups.

What type of music do you play?

My things:
Bowes SLx7
Washburn WG587
Washburn X40Pro
Washburn X50
Washburn HM24
Washburn WR150
Laguna LE200s
Arietta Acoustic
First Act
Valveking 112
VHT Deliverance

my big concern is that the evo is really bright and trebly, while the air norton is really warm. you might find it hard to dial in tones which match when switching pickups- dial in the amp to suit the bridge pickup and the neck pickup might be mud city; dial in the amp to suit the neck pickup and the evo will probably be like an icepick.

Personally, if I am going to mismatch, I mismatch the other way, with a warmer bridge pickup and brighter neck. it does minimise the differences between bridge and neck, but it does (in my experience, anyway, don't take it as gospel!) seem to be a little easier to dial in things that way.

Or else just go for the safe option and get two pickups with reasonably similar tonal properties- warm bridge pickup with warm neck pickup or bright bridge with bright neck.
I'm an idiot and I accidentally clicked the "Remove all subscriptions" button. If it seems like I'm ignoring you, I'm not, I'm just no longer subscribed to the thread. If you quote me or do the @user thing at me, hopefully it'll notify me through my notifications and I'll get back to you.
Quote by K33nbl4d3
I'll have to put the Classic T models on my to-try list. Shame the finish options there are Anachronism Gold, Nuclear Waste and Aged Clown, because in principle the plaintop is right up my alley.

Quote by K33nbl4d3
Presumably because the CCF (Combined Corksniffing Forces) of MLP and Gibson forums would rise up against them, plunging the land into war.

Quote by T00DEEPBLUE
Et tu, br00tz?
Last edited by Dave_Mc at Aug 5, 2011,
i play lots of lead work ( note articulation has to be clear cant get lost in the distortion...i hate that) also..i play 80's thrash classic metal, old school metal, neo classical...but i do use the clean channel just as much.

what about the tonezone in the bridge and air norton in the neck?

EDIT: or a duncan SH-4 in the bridge (JB)
and a duncan 59' in the neck?
GEARZ

Schecter Hellraiser
MXR six band EQ
boss DD-3 digital delay
ISP Decimator
Last edited by GoodOl'trashbag at Aug 5, 2011,
that might work better in terms of balancing the pickups' tones, but if you're after "clear", I'd be looking more into the brighter dimarzios... paf pros, evos, something like that.

EDIT: what's your budget?

is the vox your amp? i only ask because i thought the valvetronix i tried was prone to muddiness... it might be the amp at fault rather than your pickups.
I'm an idiot and I accidentally clicked the "Remove all subscriptions" button. If it seems like I'm ignoring you, I'm not, I'm just no longer subscribed to the thread. If you quote me or do the @user thing at me, hopefully it'll notify me through my notifications and I'll get back to you.
Quote by K33nbl4d3
I'll have to put the Classic T models on my to-try list. Shame the finish options there are Anachronism Gold, Nuclear Waste and Aged Clown, because in principle the plaintop is right up my alley.

Quote by K33nbl4d3
Presumably because the CCF (Combined Corksniffing Forces) of MLP and Gibson forums would rise up against them, plunging the land into war.

Quote by T00DEEPBLUE
Et tu, br00tz?
I'd recommend the D-sonic (or the crunch lab) and the Liquifire. Tried and true pickup combination, I'm waiting on the funds for a Liquifire myself, but I can attest to the D-sonic's versatility. Very nice pickup.

My things:
Bowes SLx7
Washburn WG587
Washburn X40Pro
Washburn X50
Washburn HM24
Washburn WR150
Laguna LE200s
Arietta Acoustic
First Act
Valveking 112
VHT Deliverance

how about just an evo set then? i can tell that there good for lead work as vai uses them...but how would the bridge stand up against fast palm muted thrash riffs?
GEARZ

Schecter Hellraiser
MXR six band EQ
boss DD-3 digital delay
ISP Decimator
Quote by valennic
I'd recommend the D-sonic (or the crunch lab) and the Liquifire. Tried and true pickup combination, I'm waiting on the funds for a Liquifire myself, but I can attest to the D-sonic's versatility. Very nice pickup.

i heard the liquifire was not that great?

EDIT: yes the fakin' vox is my AMAZING br00tal all tube amplifier.
GEARZ

Schecter Hellraiser
MXR six band EQ
boss DD-3 digital delay
ISP Decimator
Last edited by GoodOl'trashbag at Aug 5, 2011,
Quote by GoodOl'trashbag
i heard the liquifire was not that great?

EDIT: yes the fakin' vox is my AMAZING br00tal all tube amplifier.

I like its tone in the neck. Very fluidy tone. I've always found it to be clear, especially when paired with the D-sonic. Either way I'd recommend the D-sonic.

My things:
Bowes SLx7
Washburn WG587
Washburn X40Pro
Washburn X50
Washburn HM24
Washburn WR150
Laguna LE200s
Arietta Acoustic
First Act
Valveking 112
VHT Deliverance

alright...well since i have the best amp ever...ill just wait i guess. but yeah. i probably gona swap em out once i get something that is compatible with musical instruments.
GEARZ

Schecter Hellraiser
MXR six band EQ
boss DD-3 digital delay
ISP Decimator
Keep in mind that you will have to rewire everything since your are moving from active to passive..I recommend the blackouts those are the stuff!!
Quote by GoodOl'trashbag
how about just an evo set then? i can tell that there good for lead work as vai uses them...but how would the bridge stand up against fast palm muted thrash riffs?

good while since i've tried one... i have an evo 2 and it's fine for that.

only thing i'd say about the evos is... they're only really good for lead work if you like the trebly vai type of lead tone. they're very bright and clear. for some lead tones you want that, for others you don't.
Quote by K33nbl4d3

Quote by K33nbl4d3

Quote by T00DEEPBLUE
Et tu, br00tz?
could do tonezone/air norton possibly, although i am not sure how the tonezone would do with a mahogany body. but i have that combination in three guitars (thats how i got them, came in the guitars, it wasn't me replacing them). i like the tone zone because its got this pissed off bite to it, but at the same time could be a little bit muddy if you don't have your eq dialed in right.
WTLT 2014 GG&A

Quote by andersondb7
alright "king of the guitar forum"

Quote by trashedlostfdup
nope i am "GOD of the guitar forum" i think that fits me better.

Quote by andersondb7
youre just being a jerk man.

****** NEW NEW NEW!
2017-07-07 2017-07-07 Update and a Chat On Noise Constraints *** NEW FRIDAY 7/7
2017-04-13 RUN AWAY from COMPUTERS!!! TCE? RANT ALERT!!!
2017-03-02 - Guitar Philosophy 1001- Be Prepared For the Situation (Thursday 2017-03-02)
2017-02-21 How to Hot-Rod the Hell of your Stratocaster for $50! (Tuesday 2017-2-21)
Resentments and Rambling from a Guitar Junkie
---> http://trashedengineering.blogspot.com/
i dont have to worry about installation..ive never done any pickup work...il just have a trusty tech install them for me. if i ever get them swapped
GEARZ

Schecter Hellraiser
MXR six band EQ
boss DD-3 digital delay
ISP Decimator
Quote by trashedlostfdup
could do tonezone/air norton possibly, although i am not sure how the tonezone would do with a mahogany body. but i have that combination in three guitars (thats how i got them, came in the guitars, it wasn't me replacing them). i like the tone zone because its got this pissed off bite to it, but at the same time could be a little bit muddy if you don't have your eq dialed in right.

I actually find the TZ works quite well in a mahogany body- if that mahogany body is combined with a bolt-on maple neck

Not sure how it'd work in all mahogany with a set neck... it might get a bit muddy.
Quote by K33nbl4d3

Quote by K33nbl4d3

Quote by T00DEEPBLUE
Et tu, br00tz?