I feel my voice is missing something. I'm not a great singer, but I don't think I'm miserable either. My voice doesn't feel like it's as full as it should be. I really like bands like All Time Low, Mayday Parade and other bands like that and I am trying to get that kind of voice if that makes sense. Here is a sample of an original I wrote for listening. I'm singing out of key for certain parts, but that's because I'm working on the flow still. Also, is there any reason that in front a piano I can look at a note and sing it, but without it, I'm off? I can hit notes, but can't make them sound good.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=XZPV9RPLEYI
Quote by yenkosc
I feel my voice is missing something. I'm not a great singer, but I don't think I'm miserable either. My voice doesn't feel like it's as full as it should be. I really like bands like All Time Low, Mayday Parade and other bands like that and I am trying to get that kind of voice if that makes sense. Here is a sample of an original I wrote for listening. I'm singing out of key for certain parts, but that's because I'm working on the flow still. Also, is there any reason that in front a piano I can look at a note and sing it, but without it, I'm off? I can hit notes, but can't make them sound good.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=XZPV9RPLEYI

The thing your missing is experience. What your doing is vocalizing but not singing. No offense intended, but it is what it is.

Developing your voice takes practice & time.

start by hitting actual notes. suggestion: practice singing a Major scale.... then some melodies and/or songs.
Lessons would be helpful for learning technique. Beyond that you can practice singing songs that you like and that are in your range. You may have to go through a few until you find them. Then develop/extend your range over time through practice.

have fun. Enjoy doing it. Doing worry about sounding exactly like someone else. You have your own voice, you just have to allow yourself to develop it.
shred is gaudy music
Last edited by GuitarMunky at Aug 5, 2011,
What do you mean vocalizing instead of singing?

Lessons aren't really in my budget right now, but I have tried them before.

Thanks for the quick reply!
Keep in mind that a lot of those bands really layer the vocals in the studio and I'm pretty sure All Time Low even auto-tunes (just more subtly than say, T-Pain) as well, although I doubt they would admit it.
Quote by yenkosc
What do you mean vocalizing instead of singing?

Lessons aren't really in my budget right now, but I have tried them before.

Thanks for the quick reply!

It sounds a rather bit like talking to a key instead of singing. I don't really know how to fix that, I'm just calling it as a see it.
It sounds like me when I don't place my voice right.. I developed a really bad habit of making my voice sound artificially lower than it is (guys giving me shit on xbox live for being a girl, people telling me I was squeaky etc).. so I started placing my voice in the back of my throat which made it a bit lower.

Honestly it kind of sounds like that when I do that. Correct placement of the voice is effortless.. like when you hum (and hum correctly, because I also used to hum wrong too.. -_-) continued incorrect placement of the voice is damaging to the vocal cords, so if that IS what you're doing you'll want to correct it ASAP.

Not saying that this is for sure what you're doing, but that it really reminds me of when I do it/did it. (Like when I try to sing SoaD- Aerials and struggle to hit the "aerials.. in the sky" low parts).

At the same time I kind of see what Cowless is saying too.. but I also am not sure how to explain such an action into words :/
I have tried taking in what you guys have said and am trying to work out that vocalizing over singing part. I still have no clue what to do to fix it, but here is my effort. I also find that the end of my phrases suck and I don't know how to get past them. I think I sound a little better, but still need work. Tips are helpful!

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Mki2kGSaUZ0
your problem now is you're tone death, what that means is what you hear in your mind is not what you sound like visibly. A good way to practice is, pick a slow song, listen to yourself with a headphone while you are singing, that way will be easier for yourself to hear if your notes are correct.
^ the term is tone "deaf" and your definition is not quite correct.

Tone deafness means that you can play virtually any note on the guitar or piano and they all sound the same. The listener cannot distinguish between middle C and A0 or B5 or any other note.

It's an often used - or more to the point, abused - word, but it is very, very rare in actuality.

CT
Could I get some more talent in the monitors, please?

I know it sounds crazy, but try to learn to inhale your voice. www.thebelcantotechnique.com

Chris is the king of relating music things to other objects in real life.