Can anybody perhaps explain to me what speed metal is relative to thrash and heavy metal?
Thanks
Quote by razorback91
Im sorry, I just don't see how you could argue that hardcore isn't metal. That just seems arrogant to me.

Yes, its its own kind of metal, but its still metal.
This may be quite informative.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Speed_metal
Originally Posted by Chromeproguitar
they make horrible noises in the middle of the night (is it sex?)

Quote by CliffIsAngry
I guess she's pretty hot if you're into that "having a good music video, but not better than Beyonce's" kind of thing...
Quote by AnnihiSlateR
I'd say somewhere in between the two if that's of any use to you.

Bam.
Quote by Ultraussie
I want to try that while playing the opening riff to "Tempting Time".

0-0-0-13-0-0-0-0-13 or something like that alalalala but It;s so heavy and off time and awesome and you could not f**k anyone to it.

Quote by Ingested
burzum IS nazi. well, varg is.
In my eyes spped metal is NWOBHM played faster with more aggressive drumming.
Quote by beadhangingOne
Are you talking about those weird sphincter-spasms where it feels like there's a ghost dick in your ass for a little while and then it just disappears?
Quote by 08L1V10N
Can anybody perhaps explain to me what speed metal is relative to thrash and heavy metal?
Thanks

Speed Metal is Heavy Metal with Punk and/or Hardcore influences. Thrash is Punk or Hardcore with Metal influences. If by Thrash you mean Thrash Metal, then Speed Metal and Thrash are essentially interchangeable.
Quote by NotFromANUS
Speed Metal is Heavy Metal with Punk and/or Hardcore influences. Thrash is Punk or Hardcore with Metal influences. If by Thrash you mean Thrash Metal, then Speed Metal and Thrash are essentially interchangeable.

No offense but you ANUSites have a totally different perspective on the subgenres of metal. It seems like you call speed metal what most on here call thrash and you call thrash what most would consider crossover.

Examples:

Slayer is considered thrash by most but you ANUSites call them speed metal.

D.R.I. is considered crossover by most but you ANUSites call them thrash.

Correct me if I'm wrong?

Anyways, I could care less and I know what everyone means depending on who is talking but this could get very confusing for someone new.

EDIT: Oh, and to stay on topic, I too agree that speed metal is somewhere between thrash and heavy metal (and it can lean more towards either).

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=qZRdHF-oGi4&feature=related
Last edited by Born Headless at Aug 11, 2011,
Eh.

Crossover / thrash are pretty interchangable.

Speed Metal (and Slayer) eventually gave birth to death metal.

The crossover / thrash scene seemed to influence grindcore more

Thrash / crossover - Fearless Iranians From Hell, Dead Horses, Iron Age, DRI, CoC, etc.

Speed - Venom, Judas Priest, Legend, Jag Panzer, Slayer, Merciful Fate, etc etc.

For those who don't think Slayer is speed, I implore you to become acquainted with Show No Mercy
HESSIAN HAREM
FOR THE ADVANCEMENT OF THE HESSIAN CULTURE. STAY TRUE.
you should listen to the difference yourself.

thrash : toxic holocaust, violator, death angel
speed metal : joe stump, cacophony

i think speed metal is more melodic and has less punk influences than thrash metal. kind of like heavy metal but faster
Quote by progbass
For those who don't think Slayer is speed, I implore you to become acquainted with Show No Mercy

So, one release out of their entire discography determines the genre of all the others.
Quote by schwinginbatman
The way I see it is speed metal is sped up heavy metal, with the emphasis still on melody, but thrash metal is speed metal with the emphasis on aggressiveness.

This
Speed Metal I believe focuses more on the melodic sense of metal kinda like power metal but a little heavier. I think..
Quote by Scourge441
So, one release out of their entire discography determines the genre of all the others.

The speed influenced are present on all of the classic albums save maybe RiB (especially so on SoH)
HESSIAN HAREM
FOR THE ADVANCEMENT OF THE HESSIAN CULTURE. STAY TRUE.
Quote by Chopped_In_Half
are you a retard? Those are both thrash metal songs. There on the same album ffs.

Speed Metal: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=kFh_I9U-mY8

Someone who doesn't know the difference between "there" and "they're" shouldn't call anybody a retard.

You can now go back to your retarded conversation about what genre songs are. The real answer is: who the **** cares?
Moogs nailed it.
Quote by Ultraussie
I want to try that while playing the opening riff to "Tempting Time".

0-0-0-13-0-0-0-0-13 or something like that alalalala but It;s so heavy and off time and awesome and you could not f**k anyone to it.

Quote by Ingested
burzum IS nazi. well, varg is.
Quote by progbass
Even Kerry King admits it's total NWOBHM worship. The stuff that followed were certainly thrash metal.

But I agree with Born Headless, ANUSites do seem to have an upside down take on the word thrash in comparison to pretty much the rest of the world. Not that it really matters what you call it in the end.
Quote by Sanitarium91
Even Kerry King admits it's total NWOBHM worship. The stuff that followed were certainly thrash metal.

But I agree with Born Headless, ANUSites do seem to have an upside down take on the word thrash in comparison to pretty much the rest of the world. Not that it really matters what you call it in the end.

From where does the term thrash derive? When you can answer that, you'll understand why certain people get the terms backwards.