Like the title suggests, I am looking for a Hendrix sounding Fuzz. Guitar Player's new issue got me itching.

I use a Fender MIM Strat with CS '69 Pickups into either a Fender Hot Rod Deluxe or a Modded Champ 600. Budget is $150 MAX, would like to stay under $100 if possible. It doesn't need to match Hendrix perfectly, but the classic Fuzz Face sound is ideal.

I was looking at the Danelectro Cool Cat CF-2 Fuzz, they are $60, anyone know how they compare? Or possibly GFS's Fuzz?

Thanks!
fuzz face clone, i'm guessing (germanium?)

i haven't tried the v2, but i have the v1 dano and it doesn't really remind me of hendrix. I mean, it'll do it, but it wouldn't be my first choice.
I'm an idiot and I accidentally clicked the "Remove all subscriptions" button. If it seems like I'm ignoring you, I'm not, I'm just no longer subscribed to the thread. If you quote me or do the @user thing at me, hopefully it'll notify me through my notifications and I'll get back to you.
Quote by K33nbl4d3
I'll have to put the Classic T models on my to-try list. Shame the finish options there are Anachronism Gold, Nuclear Waste and Aged Clown, because in principle the plaintop is right up my alley.

Quote by K33nbl4d3
Presumably because the CCF (Combined Corksniffing Forces) of MLP and Gibson forums would rise up against them, plunging the land into war.

Quote by T00DEEPBLUE
Et tu, br00tz?
The Hendrix sig fuzz is actually really good for those later ('68-'70) tones. Used you can usually find them for under $100.
E-peen:
Rhodes Gemini
Fryette Ultra Lead
Peavey 6505
THD Flexi 50

Gibson R0 Prototype
EBMM JP13 Rosewood
Fender CS Mary Kaye

WTLT

(512) Audio Engineering - Custom Pedal Builds, Mods and Repairs
look into the roger mayer fuzz boxes!
Last edited by gurg06 at Aug 5, 2011,
Quote by redandwhite12
If your handy with a soldering iron building one is a good solution. With your budget you could pick up a new fuzzface or used even the Hendrix signature. Those are both exiting the 100$ range though.

I can solder fine, I rebuilt my whole Crybaby, modded my TS9's, and built some A/B and Looper Boxes, I am just not sure if I want to build one.
Quote by mmolteratx
The Hendrix sig fuzz is actually really good for those later ('68-'70) tones. Used you can usually find them for under $100.

I have heard that the new Fuzz Faces sound like crap though, especially the Hendrix models, thats just been the feeling I got from posts reguarding them.
oh if you can solder as well as that, probably just get a kit. I mean there are about 6 components in a fuzz face.
I'm an idiot and I accidentally clicked the "Remove all subscriptions" button. If it seems like I'm ignoring you, I'm not, I'm just no longer subscribed to the thread. If you quote me or do the @user thing at me, hopefully it'll notify me through my notifications and I'll get back to you.
Quote by K33nbl4d3
I'll have to put the Classic T models on my to-try list. Shame the finish options there are Anachronism Gold, Nuclear Waste and Aged Clown, because in principle the plaintop is right up my alley.

Quote by K33nbl4d3
Presumably because the CCF (Combined Corksniffing Forces) of MLP and Gibson forums would rise up against them, plunging the land into war.

Quote by T00DEEPBLUE
Et tu, br00tz?
Quote by Wylde_Life
I can solder fine, I rebuilt my whole Crybaby, modded my TS9's, and built some A/B and Looper Boxes, I am just not sure if I want to build one.

I have heard that the new Fuzz Faces sound like crap though, especially the Hendrix models, thats just been the feeling I got from posts reguarding them.

The Ge Fuzz Faces do sound like crap. The Hendrix ones are great though. Good Si transistors are readily available for cheap. If you can solder I'd just build one though. $30 and 2 hours for the same thing.
E-peen:
Rhodes Gemini
Fryette Ultra Lead
Peavey 6505
THD Flexi 50

Gibson R0 Prototype
EBMM JP13 Rosewood
Fender CS Mary Kaye

WTLT

I suppose it is always an option, anywhere you can recommend for a kit? I see there a quiet a few from a quick google search.
ok so maybe about 10

I was thinking of the rangemaster (which actually is about 6)

EDIT: never used them myself, but byoc or ggg are the two big ones i know of in the US. there's a couple in germany too, but i'm guessing postage will erode any savings...
Quote by K33nbl4d3

Quote by K33nbl4d3

Quote by T00DEEPBLUE
Et tu, br00tz?
Quote by Wylde_Life
I suppose it is always an option, anywhere you can recommend for a kit? I see there a quiet a few from a quick google search.

General Guitar Gadgets sells nice kits. I think the Fuzz Face one is $50 or so. Sourcing parts yourself is cheaper but it's easier to just buy it all from one place I guess.
E-peen:
Rhodes Gemini
Fryette Ultra Lead
Peavey 6505
THD Flexi 50

Gibson R0 Prototype
EBMM JP13 Rosewood
Fender CS Mary Kaye

WTLT

Quote by Dave_Mc
ok so maybe about 10

I was thinking of the rangemaster (which actually is about 6)

EDIT: never used them myself, but byoc or ggg are the two big ones i know of in the US. there's a couple in germany too, but i'm guessing postage will erode any savings...

Funilly enough, I was just thinking of building a Rangemaster, haha, get that Clapton/Beano tone.

Quote by mmolteratx
General Guitar Gadgets sells nice kits. I think the Fuzz Face one is $50 or so. Sourcing parts yourself is cheaper but it's easier to just buy it all from one place I guess.

I will check those places out, BYOC was $95 with a Germanium Transistor set, which is within budget for a good effect, I will check GGG, thanks guys!
I don't know about the ebay kit, but GGG will be back on Sunday. The owners are religious and always take things down for Saturday (from friday evening on). I'll tell you their fuzz face kit doesn't come with the transistors--so you'll have to source your own which could add $15-$20 by the time you get fancy NOS ones and add shipping.. I don't remember the price, but most of their dirt is $55-$65 and I think this is on the lower end of that because it doesn't include fancy NOS transisters.

With their prices, you can get the fuzz face clone and throw in the octavia clone for those other Hendrix fuzz sounds and still be under your max budget. I haven't built either from them, but my buddy built the octavia and I thought it sounded great. I'm totally behind GGG--I've bought at least a half dozen of their kits and I always love them.
I'm not in any hurry, so the wait is no problem. But they seem pretty legit, so I will probably be ordering from them soon! Thanks!
yeah i mean that other one you linked to may be fine, but you know GGG is legit (though as dullsilver_mike said, you have to source your own transistors, which will bump the price), so there's not much point in going with the more risky option if the prices are similar.
Quote by K33nbl4d3

Quote by K33nbl4d3

Quote by T00DEEPBLUE
Et tu, br00tz?
Quote by Wylde_Life
Is there anything wrong with GGG's Silicon version? Does it not sound as good?

Which Hendrix are you trying to do first? Germanium for early ones (chimey and jangly up to destruction mode), or Silicon for later BOG tones (brighter and a little harsher, does not fully clean up).
Gear
Fender Hotrod Deville 2x12
Fender MIM Strat | Epi Dot 335
Fulltone '69 mkii | Boss OD-1
'95 RAT2 | '78 IC Big Muff | DL4
i don't think i've tried the two different transistors... ge is supposed to be a bit softer-sounding. It just depends on the tone you're after- i'm not sure either is "better", but if you need ge tone you need ge (and vice-versa for si), kind of thing.
Quote by K33nbl4d3

Quote by K33nbl4d3

Quote by T00DEEPBLUE
Et tu, br00tz?
I'm not exactly sure which tone I am looking for, I just want something that is general I suppose. I like to do a little of everything, although I play a lot off of Bold as Love, but I don't need anything to sound exact since I am not really trying to mimic Jimi, just trying to play it with my own twist, if that makes any sense.

There is a guy on ebay I was chatting with, that sells a handbuilt Fuzz Face clone and Tone Bender MKII, all in one, just uses a switch to switch between the two, all True Bypass. His sound samples were really good sounding, I like the fact that it has the TBMKII, as I do play a little early Zeppelin, but in the past have just used a Rat Clone for that stuff. He uses all matched GE transistor for both sides of the pedale... the seller is Carl's Custom Guitars. IDK, I may try him out, he has a no questions asked return policy if you dont like it.
yeah i've come across him before. I'm not sure if it's an actual tonebender and FF in one.

Do some searching on HC, TGP etc. about it. The writeups he was getting weren't amazing. they put me off, anyway.
Quote by K33nbl4d3

Quote by K33nbl4d3

Quote by T00DEEPBLUE
Et tu, br00tz?
Well, in my quick search, I found some non-impressed people with his Fuzz Face, although they said the MKII part sounded good, but since I am mostly in it for the Fuzz Face, that doesn't help me.

I just don't know if I want to build one yet, I am fine with modding and building A/B box type stuff, but that is super easy. I don't want to buy one, screw it up (since I know nothing technical about electronics, I wouldn't know where to start to fix it, did it once with a Fuzz pedal I tried to build...) and then be out $55- $80... I would almost rather buy a prebuilt.

Do the MXR 108's sound just like a Silicon Fuzz Face? I read some good things about them on the internet, and that seems the general consesus.
Quote by Wylde_Life
Well, in my quick search, I found some non-impressed people with his Fuzz Face, although they said the MKII part sounded good, but since I am mostly in it for the Fuzz Face, that doesn't help me.

I just don't know if I want to build one yet, I am fine with modding and building A/B box type stuff, but that is super easy. I don't want to buy one, screw it up (since I know nothing technical about electronics, I wouldn't know where to start to fix it, did it once with a Fuzz pedal I tried to build...) and then be out $55- $80... I would almost rather buy a prebuilt.

Do the MXR 108's sound just like a Silicon Fuzz Face? I read some good things about them on the internet, and that seems the general consesus.

It just depends on pedals to pedals man. Transistors are finicky ancient technology. Both uses BC108's though. I had a Hendrix Fuzz Face before, but stuck with a Fulltone '69. It does Bold as Love well.
Gear
Fender Hotrod Deville 2x12
Fender MIM Strat | Epi Dot 335
Fulltone '69 mkii | Boss OD-1
'95 RAT2 | '78 IC Big Muff | DL4
no idea.

(i've never built a pedal, so take this with a pinch of salt) i'd have thought building something as simple as a fuzz face wouldn't be much harder than an A/B. I mean you still have all the jacks and footswitches etc. to do in an A/B, right? only difference with the FF is about 9 or 10 components on a pcb/veroboard.
Quote by K33nbl4d3

Quote by K33nbl4d3

Quote by T00DEEPBLUE
Et tu, br00tz?
Hmmmm. Well, I know my GC has a few fuzzes set up, I may go try some out, maybe find out a little bit more about what I actually want in my tone, lol. I think I know someone with a MXR 108, I cant remember if he had one.

Thanks everyone, I know im difficult, haha.
no worries

and don't put too much stock in what i'm saying, i'm really lazy. it's not like i've built any pedals yet either (though i keep meaning to ).
Quote by K33nbl4d3

Quote by K33nbl4d3

Quote by T00DEEPBLUE
Et tu, br00tz?
Quote by Dave_Mc
no worries

and don't put too much stock in what i'm saying, i'm really lazy. it's not like i've built any pedals yet either (though i keep meaning to ).

Idk, something always worries me about building pedals. Rewiring guitars, no problem, I love that, but I just really don't like to build pedals, lol. Even my A/B box and looper dont get used because I trick myself into thinking I screwed em up and they suck my tone... although they dont.
hehe
Quote by K33nbl4d3

Quote by K33nbl4d3

Quote by T00DEEPBLUE
Et tu, br00tz?
Arbiter Dallas Fuzzface
Gibson Les Paul Custom (Aged White)
Custom Kramer Baretta
Custom Fender Strat
Epiphone Black Beauty
Epiphone AJ
Marshall JCM900 4201
Blackheart Little Giant
MXR Dist. +
MXR Six Band EQ
MXR Phase 90
If you don't feel like building (but who wouldn't feel like building?) check out the Throbak Fuzz Haze.
--

How do you say "I'm okay" to an answering machine?

--
Quote by andrerist
zvex box of fuzz. little pricy but zvex is always a great option

If you mean the fuzz factory, I don't think he'll want to mess with it... I have and LOVE one, but for just hendrix stuff... I couldn't recommend it.
From what I've heard from it, I prefer the octavio over the fuzz face for hendrix stuff. Others may have had different experiences.
I'm up for building you a pedal.
(Or modding nearly anything moddable)
(PM Me.)
Quote by dullsilver_mike
I don't know about the ebay kit, but GGG will be back on Sunday. The owners are religious and always take things down for Saturday (from friday evening on). I'll tell you their fuzz face kit doesn't come with the transistors--so you'll have to source your own which could add $15-$20 by the time you get fancy NOS ones and add shipping.. I don't remember the price, but most of their dirt is $55-$65 and I think this is on the lower end of that because it doesn't include fancy NOS transisters.

With their prices, you can get the fuzz face clone and throw in the octavia clone for those other Hendrix fuzz sounds and still be under your max budget. I haven't built either from them, but my buddy built the octavia and I thought it sounded great. I'm totally behind GGG--I've bought at least a half dozen of their kits and I always love them.

GGG's Fuzz Face kit actually comes with some great sounding silicon transistors
Call me Dom
Quote by Dmaj7
I don't know how to count canadians, the metric system is hard

Quote by gregs1020
well if lbj pokes his head in here and there's no nuts shit's gonna go doooooooowwwwwwwwwn.

{Pedalboard Thread Native: The Muffin Man}
Quote by dullsilver_mike
I don't know about the ebay kit, but GGG will be back on Sunday. The owners are religious and always take things down for Saturday (from friday evening on).

that always pisses me off

Not that i care that they're religious

but they take the whole freaking site down. they have a bunch of schematics on there, and as sure as dangit, every time i need/want to look at a schematic it's when they have the freaking site down.

I mean they could just take down the ordering bit. I must have missed the "thou shalt not mooch free fx pedal schematics on the sabbath" bit in exodus.

Plus i mean considering the internet is international, they really should have their site down for the guts of 2 days to cover all countries' sabbaths
Quote by K33nbl4d3

Quote by K33nbl4d3

Quote by T00DEEPBLUE
Et tu, br00tz?
Try the Axis face design at fuzz central. I built one with a 2N2369 at Q1 and a BD139 at Q2. Very Ge like fuzz which reminds me of early Hendrix.