Do I need to have pickup covers on Strat single coils (like the stock ones on a MIM, i'm repairing a parts-caster and am planing to use the pickups that came with my MIM Strat)? or Could I just have the copper coils open and visible?
Actually, I go by Dave, but there are already too many Daves on this forum.

Fender MIM Stratocaster
Fender Jaguar Bass
Epiphone EJ200 Super Jumbo
Fender Excelsior 13w
Acoustic B300HD (with matching 1x12 cab)
BOSS BD-2W
NYC Big Muff Pi
either.... the covers are plastic and don't do anything to change the output or sound. just make sure no metal touches the pickup its self... the noise will be nasty.
my squier strat had the coils wrapped in tape to protect them, so i took the covers off... i don't know why i did it, though.
I like analogue Solid State amps that make no effort to be "tube-like", and I'm proud of it...

...A little too proud, to be honest.
The covers are there to keep stuff from getting into the pickups and corroding the wire. If your pickups are not wax-potted exposing them will cause the wiring to break down over years and the pickups will have to be rewound. I don't know if Fender pots their single-coil pickups (not everyone does), but you should find out before you take the covers off.
either.... the covers are plastic and don't do anything to change the output or sound. just make sure no metal touches the pickup its self... the noise will be nasty.

The covers are there to keep stuff from getting into the pickups and corroding the wire. If your pickups are not wax-potted exposing them will cause the wiring to break down over years and the pickups will have to be rewound. I don't know if Fender pots their single-coil pickups (not everyone does), but you should find out before you take the covers off.

These are true. If you just want the look of it not having a cover, you should wrap electric tape around the coils though (feel free to do different colours though!).
Quote by Wisthekiller
These are true. If you just want the look of it not having a cover, you should wrap electric tape around the coils though (feel free to do different colours though!).

I wish I could find my camera, but at this point, I think "looks" are out the window on this thing.

Imagine, if you will, what once was a Sunburst Strat, with most of the finish haphazardly sanded off, except for a couple parts on the front (which are curiously black) and a large spot on the back around the tremolo cavity, and a Squier Telecaster Affinity series neck (it says so) with locking tuners on it, with the neck pocket equally haphazardly routed to fit the neck. Then there's the pickguard, black with no pickups, though the rest of the electronics are there, and it's broken in two places: a complete break on the lower horn, which is one held on by 2 screws, and a big crack going from the middle pickup to the 5 way switch to one of the screw holes around the edge of the pickguard. Plus, there's a hard tail bridge and a 9v battery snap connector that leads into the tremolo cavity, which looks like it had once been covered with duct tape (it has that weird stringy residue).

Obviously, this guitar had some history to it before I found it in a church rummage sale the other day.

If anything, I could just take the locking tuners off of it and call it an even break.

EDIT: **** it, nevermind. Somebody lit the inside of this thing on fire. I'm just going to take the tuners off and trash it.
Actually, I go by Dave, but there are already too many Daves on this forum.

Fender MIM Stratocaster
Fender Jaguar Bass
Epiphone EJ200 Super Jumbo
Fender Excelsior 13w
Acoustic B300HD (with matching 1x12 cab)
BOSS BD-2W
NYC Big Muff Pi
Last edited by kangaxxter at Aug 5, 2011,
Quote by kangaxxter

EDIT: **** it, nevermind. Somebody lit the inside of this thing on fire. I'm just going to take the tuners off and trash it.

LMFAO!!!! that's just funny
Living is a bless, most of the people just exist

i'm out of my mind, insane, and what i say is sht or doesn't make sense, still your reading this.