Any advice would be helpful. Basically looking to get a nice solid amp that i can use when play live basically, i'm fine with the amp i use for practicing so

I think it would be cheaper to get like a combo amp, but anything else would be helpful, under the price range of about 700 quid.

And yeah i'd like an amp with good distortion so i don't need to muck around with distortion pedals, and good for hitting some good pinch harmonics!
For pinch harmonics you need some good technique, not an amp.

Other than that, maybe a Blackstar HT-40/60, Peavey 6505+, Jet City 20/22 + 1x12 cab, Marshall Haze or something like that would do.
Well i answered the majority of the Questions, but i use a American Standard Fender Stratocaster And probably new but i'd be fine with used, and i live in Kent

And yeah i can hit pinch harmonics perfectly well my technique is fine, just the other day i played on a Marshall HG something and they weren't ringing out or anything like they normally do.
Also i'm not sure about watt size, but i think something around 70-100 Watts would be good
Quote by jonny_page
Also i'm not sure about watt size, but i think something around 70-100 Watts would be good

Oh, but even 50 watts will do for the vast majority of applications. Don't worry about that. (You might want a 100w machine if you do regular stadium size gigs but for other than that...)
Quote by Jyrgen
Oh, but even 50 watts will do for the vast majority of applications. Don't worry about that. (You might want a 100w machine if you do regular stadium size gigs but for other than that...)

haha sorry its only cause i played on a 100watt amp the other day but only had my volume on like half, but yeah i understand if 50watts fine then thats cool
What do you mean by "good distortion"? What tone are you trying to get.

Anyway, to answer your question more generally, Peavey amps are tried and true to be reliable beasts. Mesa amps are also in that category.
Spin 'round carousel when your horse isn't screwed in.

My band:
Fractured Instinct
(For fans of Death/Groove/Prog Metal)

Ibanez RGA42E
Ibanez S420
LTD H-301
Ibanez RG520
Peavey Predator USA
Douglas Grendel 725
Line 6 Pod HD500X
im pretty sure you didn't answer most of the questions that i gave you on that link...
Budget- You said 700 quid... k.
Genres-Good Distortion and clean... Very descriptive (SARCASM)
New or used- Lol i dunno you dont care.
Home or gig- I guess both because you said a live amp...
Closest City- nothing.
Current gear-American Strat.
so yeah, we totally know what to get you and everything and what tones you chase. so Im going to say that the best available amp would be a Line 6 Spider IV 120Watt head. It has brootal extreme model presets and cleanest of clean and blues tones so yeah. Just get a half stack with the matching cab and you should be good to go.
Last edited by LolCatGuitar at Aug 6, 2011,
Not sure how much these are in the U.K., but:JCA50h with JCA48s. 50 watts tube is definitely loud enough for any situation, but if you prefer to have the extra headroom, they make a 100w version of the same amp, but for more cash. As for being able to do pinch harmonics...

While it does have good distortion on tap and does not require a distortion pedal (despite what some fuckheads say), throwing a clean boost in front of it tightens up low end for that tighter, more modern metal tone.
I'd suggest a tube amp, 50 watts should be fine. Peavey Classic series is pretty solid and not too expensive. Tube amps seem to be louder, and/or just sound better when you crank them. Solid state amp tend to sound worse the more you push them, and the harmonics (noticed especially when you pinch) sound rather harsh, where tube amps produce cleaner, less disonant harmonics.
- Fender, Taylor, Martin, Ibanez, Ramirez, Marshall, Boss, Morley, Mesa/Boogie, Univox, Shure, Monster, Dunlop, Seymour Duncan, DiMarzio, Lace, Sperzel, DW, Tama, Zildjian, and a little Johnnie Walker
6505, its like the bestest amp evar!!!! it has brootal tonez and metallica is like totally coming through ta ampzorz.

honestly, it depends on your style.

mesa for metal, or santana awesomeness
orange for anything british really
marshal for hard rock stuff, or anything heavy even metal
fender for smooth and creamy stuff.

the list goes on.

at least, thats what most people go by it seems. i use a fender hotrod deville for alot of my lead stuff, and orange typically for anything smooth and backgroundish.
Last edited by 00_hns_00 at Aug 6, 2011,
answer the questions in the sticky at the top of the page and I will find you a good deal somewhere.

1977 Burny FLG70
2004 EBMM JP6
2016 SE Holcolmb