ok, im pretty new with recording, i have an esp ltd EC 1000, line 6 spider IV with an FBV pedal, my interface is an Onyx blackjack 2x2 which is hooked to my Toshiba sattelite L655 with reaper recording software. essentially, when i play my guitar and amp live it sounds great, i can get nice tones etc. when i plug into my interface and try recording, i cant get it sounding good. the clean tones are fine, but the metal tones sound completly different and no matter what i do i cant really seem to get them to sound good. i dont know what i need to do to fix this, if the problems my interface, if i can do something on reaper.... i really dont know much about what im doing, so if anyone could help me get better sound out of this so i can record shit that actually sounds good, id really appreciate it. btw. i tend to lean for more of a swallow the sun/katatonia ish sound on my guitar.
If I stay too quiet
I can hear her walking by
Death cold air is moving
Like the touch of her hand

ikuisesti hallussa surua,
pienentynyt enkeli, ottaa minuun,
johtaa minut tämän arvokkaan valoa,
ja ikuiseen pimeyteen.
bump...?
If I stay too quiet
I can hear her walking by
Death cold air is moving
Like the touch of her hand

ikuisesti hallussa surua,
pienentynyt enkeli, ottaa minuun,
johtaa minut tämän arvokkaan valoa,
ja ikuiseen pimeyteen.
It's probably your amp, Line 6 Spiders are infamous for having a very digital tone. I would suggest recording straight into the computer (no amp), and using a VST amp simulation. It will sound A LOT better than the Spider.

UG's Official Guide To VST Amp Simulation
Call me Andrew. It's my name.

Quote by theogonia777
i fond God too, man! i sat next to him on the bus once. he told be the meaning of life and then gave me a pretzel. i can't remember what the meaning of live was, but it was a good pretzel, man!
^ No that's not strictly true, my Spider III served me well back in the day.

Basically your problem TS, is that you're lining out your signal before it hits the 'power amp' section of the OPamps and the speakers. Which makes your tone really harsh and fizzy, correct? That's because you've bypassed two major parts of the amp that contribute to the tone you hear in the room, and those two parts are really important in high gain tones.

Now an easy and free way to solve this is to use some cabinet simulation in your DAW and try to rescue your tone. All you have to do is download LeCab 2 and the Catharsis Awesome Time impulses. This method still won't make it sound like it does in the room, but it'll make it sound a lot better.

Your best bet for good tones though is micing the amp, but that'll take money and practice and really isn't an instant fix. However the results will be a lot better than lining into your interface straight away. I'd recommend the Shure SM57, if this is what you want to do.

Finally, you could alway go the amp sim route as suggested above. The LePou and TSE plug-in's are free and of high quality, so I'd start with those, and you could always invest in POD Farm or Amplitube if you're not satisfied.