So i've come to the conclusion that I have a pretty decent, dependable, and good quality guitar, which is a 93 Ibanez EX 3700 (transparent teal flame top).
I have this budget set at about $200 in upgrades, which will fall through in probably a few weeks.
The only thing that can be done to make it better are changes to some appearance/sound. (remember, this guitar is made in Korea and the floyd rose made in Japan.)
The stock pickups sound good, don't get me wrong, but i'm wanting to turn silver to gold, rather than "polish a turd".
So what I have in mind, since the hardware is gold, and there's cream neck and body binding, here's what I want to add to it:
Matched pair of "zebra" colored Seymour Duncan humbuckers. (I'm guessing 59 neck and JB bridge.) Single coil may remain but with cream cover to keep the black/cream pattern throughout the pickups.
Gold metal pickup rings.
Gold metal set-screw dome knobs.
Possibly a Fender 5 way switch, and CTS or whatever type of 500K audio pots, with 50's wiring of course and a .022 cap.
So with all this in mind, by the end of the day I should have a pretty sophisticated looking instrument that's comparable to higher end guitars.
Other than opinions on color scheme in mind, are the 59 and JB set a good pair?
My amp is an older good sounding solid state (washburn) which doesn't really matter that much, but most of you ask anyway.
I want the bridge to be able to acheive 80's style grind up to thrash as heavy as Pantera. Likewise on clean bright and crisp but not distorted.
I want the neck to sound hot but also bluesy, and not too mellow or weak.
So what do you think?
Cusp of Magic