Page 1 of 2
http://www.independent.co.uk/arts-entertainment/films/features/what-happened-to-movie-music-2331831.html

So some music is as memorable than the film..Pulp Fiction for example with chuck berry, dick dale etc, and some movies the soundtrack was more memorable than the film eg The Crow.

Do you think that modern movie makers put less than memorable songs in their films to put the emphasis on the film? Do you miss old movie soundtracks?
I think there are still a ton of great soundtracks out there. So..... yeah.
WILDCARD, BITCHES!!

Call me Patrick! My username sucks anyway
The soundtracks means just as much now as they did back then. Some back then stood out more than others, so we remember them today. Some stands out in movies these days, they will be remembered 20 years like we remember the ones from the 80s and 90s soundtracks.
Of recent movies, I really enjoyed this one.

Quote by Bill43

I wouldn't know an Opeth song from an Egg McMuffin

A lot of soundtracks these days lack melody in favor of 'epic' percussion and effects. Hans Zimmer is to blame.

Gone are the days of Hermann, Steiner, Korngold, Morricone, Goldsmith... at least we still have Williams and Silvestri.

As for my favourite, Jurassic Park. I also really like Back to the future, ET, and Vertigo.
Last edited by griffRG7321 at Aug 5, 2011,
Quote by griffRG7321
A lot of soundtracks these days lack melody in favor of 'epic' percussion and effects. Hans Zimmer is to blame.

Gone are the days of Hermann, Steiner, Korngold, Morricone, Goldsmith... at least we still have Williams and Silvestri.

This begs to differ
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=nhMUvhIAPtY
Disagree.

Quote by jrcsgtpeppers

If women can be annoyed there arent any women incongress I should be allowed to be pissed off there are no members of pink floyd or the beatles in congress.
Quote by wahappen

That was actually a very interesting soundtrack and take on a lot of well known songs. You knew when the music was going stuff was about to get kickass.
Quote by ErikLensherr
Don't belittle it like that, your mom produces top quality stuff.

C4C
[thread="1339859"]Hammerhead[/thread]
[thread="1341152"]Anglerfish[/thread]

VOTE
Thrustor: 2012
Quote by D&DLover

That was the old Hans Zimmer when he actually had to work on the music. These days, he has an entire team of ghost writers (composers who don't get any screen credit) to realize his vague "ideas" to actually write, develop, and tailor the music. As an artist, he's a joke.

...modes and scales are still useless.

Quote by PhoenixGRM
Hey guys could you spare a minute to Vote for my band. Go to the site Search our band Listana with CTRL+F for quick and vote Thank you .
Quote by sam b
Voted for Patron Çıldırdı.

Thanks
Quote by PhoenixGRM
But our Band is Listana
Quote by Xiaoxi
That was the old Hans Zimmer when he actually had to work on the music. These days, he has an entire team of ghost writers (composers who don't get any screen credit) to realize his vague "ideas" to actually write, develop, and tailor the music. As an artist, he's a joke.

Didn't know that

But still, that's one of my favorite soundtracks.
i remember thinking shutter island's soundtrack was both disturbingly fitting and good.

i know nothing original was written for it, but the ensemble was nice.
Click here to hear my BOB DYLAN (Blowing in the Wind) out right now May 2k17
Last edited by laid-to-waste at Aug 5, 2011,
Quote by vicarious46
That was actually a very interesting soundtrack and take on a lot of well known songs. You knew when the music was going stuff was about to get kickass.

Except that is without a doubt the worst movie I have ever seen. It's horrible. I almost left the theater. This sums up all of my opinions on the movie http://io9.com/5785590/sucker-punch-goes-beyond-awful-to-become-commentary-on-the-death-of-moviemaking
Gingers Unite
Quote by Nitrate
Except that is without a doubt the worst movie I have ever seen. It's horrible. I almost left the theater. This sums up all of my opinions on the movie http://io9.com/5785590/sucker-punch-goes-beyond-awful-to-become-commentary-on-the-death-of-moviemaking
Ever seen 'Gamer'?
You are now using UG Black.
You are now using UG Classic.

Listening to: A bunch of forced listening by my composition teacher... some great stuff by Bach, Haydn, Mozart, Schubert, Liszt...

GTA V! ... the 120th game of the franchise.
Quote by Xiaoxi

Inception had a killer soundtrack.
Quote by Ichikurosaki
sloth is hacking away feebly at the grass because he is a sloth but he was trying so hard ;_; hes all "penguin im HERE i am here to help you penguin"
Quote by Nitrate

Yeah, I went into that movie thinkn it was gonna sucker-ass. And I was correct, when the first action sequence bust out with the giant samuri's with gatling guns my friends and I and the row of people behind us burst out laughing.

I think the most obnoxious scene was the WWI trench scene. They didn't even try to elaborate on all the infallacies;
-The enemy were Nazis and the Nazi party didn't even exsist yet
-This line seemed to be snuck in and delivered with questioning... They kept the zombies alive through steam-power
-The "Nazi Zombies" (hmmm were have I heard of those before) weren't really even speaking German!!

It just goes to show the director and writers were extremely ****in lazy when writing this movie and just compiled a bunch of shit they did on Call of Duty games and seen in other action movies to make this movie
Quote by ErikLensherr
Don't belittle it like that, your mom produces top quality stuff.

C4C
[thread="1339859"]Hammerhead[/thread]
[thread="1341152"]Anglerfish[/thread]

VOTE
Thrustor: 2012
Quote by wahappen

That soundtrack was pretty much the ONLY good thing about that movie. The Bjork song in the first fight scene was really good.

Why the hell isn't James Horner and Hans Zimmer on that list?
Quote by Demon Wolf
Inception had a killer soundtrack.

Inception's soundtrack, while fulfilling its basic dramatic functions, is musically lazy, unimaginative, and thematically incoherent.

...modes and scales are still useless.

Quote by PhoenixGRM
Hey guys could you spare a minute to Vote for my band. Go to the site Search our band Listana with CTRL+F for quick and vote Thank you .
Quote by sam b
Voted for Patron Çıldırdı.

Thanks
Quote by PhoenixGRM
But our Band is Listana
Quote by Xiaoxi
Inception's soundtrack, while fulfilling its basic dramatic functions, is musically lazy, unimaginative, and thematically incoherent.

Still sounds damn good though
I thought music was supposed to sound good, not live up to someone's musically technical wet dream.
I really like Zimmer's stuff. From Lion King to Inception and the Dark Knight. My only gripe is that The Pirates soundtrack is eerily similar to the Gladiator's.
In a movie, I want big epic sounding shit. It's incidental music, you're supposed to get a sense of what's happening in the movie through the music alone. It shouldn't be compared to the canon of Western Art music.
Last edited by page.slash at Aug 5, 2011,
Quote by page.slash
I thought music was supposed to sound good, not live up to someone's musically technical wet dream.
I really like Zimmer's stuff. From Lion King to Inception and the Dark Knight. My only gripe is that The Pirates soundtrack is eerily similar to the Gladiator's.

His recent soundtracks don't sound good to me, it just sounds boring, repetitive and lazily made. There's nothing interesting or attention-grabbing about blaring brass and 16th note string patterns drowned in seas of percussion when you've heard it dozens of times before. It's not that it's not technical enough, it's just so damn boring.

That being said, the Lion King soundtrack is great.
Last edited by T.s.e at Aug 5, 2011,
Quote by griffRG7321

As for my favourite, Jurassic Park. I also really like Back to the future, ET, and Vertigo.

Ah yes, Hans Zimmers work in Black Hawk Down was full of "epic" percussion and totally lacked melody

:Rolleyes:

Clint Mansell is my favorite. That being said, Tron, Sunshine, and Moon all had great soundtracks and are recent movies
My God, it's full of stars!
Last Action Hero soundtrack.

It's got Megadeth and Alice in Chains.
58-32 NFL Thread Pick Em.
I love how in older films they often had huge, dissonant, overblown overtures over the opening credits. I wish films still had that.
Quote by DeaThrash
The soundtracks means just as much now as they did back then. Some back then stood out more than others, so we remember them today. Some stands out in movies these days, they will be remembered 20 years like we remember the ones from the 80s and 90s soundtracks.

Ehhhh

This is often true, but it's easy to use this argument everywhere and end up saying that nothing ever changes. Things do change.
I'LL PUNCH A DONKEY IN THE STREETS OF GALWAY
Last edited by whalepudding at Aug 5, 2011,
I disagree. I think alot of it depends on the calibre and style of the film. For example, Iron Man 2 fitted perfectly with having an all AC/DC soundtrack because it was a guy living a rock and roll lifestyle and wasn't exactly a high brow film. Whereas something like LOTR, Gladiator etc has a much more elaborate soundtrack that fits it better and is very memorable. I don't think it's coincedence that films that are good and are remembered for that, also have memorable soundtracks.
No man has the right to be an amateur in the matter of physical training. It is a shame for a man to grow old without seeing the beauty and strength of which his body is capable

@gossage91
@overtimefitnessau
Totally disagree. Just because most soundtracks don't sound like they're from the 'Golden' or 'Silver Age', doesn't make them less memorable or indeed i don't think directors intend to make them less memorable. The Kick Ass soundtrack is a prime example with its sometimes twisted use of popular songs in a scene. Bet people were writing the same when popular music became more of a staple in the movie soundtrack in the 50s and 60s and some songs were used in soundtracks again and again.
Quote by Dreadnought

Clint Mansell is my favorite. That being said, Tron, Sunshine, and Moon all had great soundtracks and are recent movies

Mansell is my favourite of recent times too. The soundtrack to Moon was virtually perfect in my eyes.
It's gonna be a blue day
Last edited by perry589 at Aug 6, 2011,
Quote by Primus2112
John Murphy is my favorite soundtrack composer, just for this:

Surface Of The Sun

This, but I can't say he's my favorite soundtrack composer, I don't know enough about film scoring. And I haven't even seen the film. For some reason this song reminds me of Star Wars, I think it sums up the whole trilogy.

Hans Zimmer has some good scores and boring scores, that's all I have to add to that discussion.

Edit: Yeah, I'm talking about scores. The Matrix is my favorite soundtrack, and I don't think they are dead. I know the Twilight soundtrack was somewhat big, I know a few people who bought it.
Last edited by slipknot5678 at Aug 6, 2011,
Quote by griffRG7321

You're confusing "soundtracks" with "scores," brah.
Quote by dudetheman
So what? I wasted like 5 minutes watching DaddyTwoFoot's avatar.

Metalheads are the worst thing that ever happened to metal.
Page 1 of 2