Page 1 of 2
Hey all, I own an Ashton AG140.. before you take the piss, I'll tell you this guitar kicks ass and is a beauty to play. To my knowledge it was built in the late 90's but I can't say for sure, and the body is made of a heavy, dark wood (natural finish); I'm leaning towards mahogany but maybe someone here can shed some more light?

So I'm wanting to replace the pickups as although the stock pups have served me well I'm after a set with higher output and more edge. The configuration is H-S-S. I play a diverse range of music; from blues and jazz to older and modern metal and progressive shred.

I'll try to be as specific as possible:

Bridge pickup (Humbucker): Something warm with huge punch and is very responsive to pick attack. I almost never use the bridge pup for cleans except for a fat, warm tone where I would usually use a compressor. It needs to cut though the mix and be suitable for fast riffs, rich harmonics and leads containing legato and tapping without getting muddy or too trebly.

Middle pickup (Strat-sized): Not too worried about the middle pup, I rarely use it but any suggestions are welcome in combination with neck and bridge.

Neck pickup (Strat-sized): I use this pickup mainly for solos involving fast alternate picking and crystal clean chord work. For lead work I like a "round" tone that doesn't distort too much and has plenty of sustain. Sometimes I tend to roll the tone knob and treble back and boost the mids (think of the tone you achieve when you leave a wah pedal on it's heel). For cleans I'm after more of a strat-like tone without too much twang.

The amp I use is a Randall RG100 G3, and while it is not tube, it still produces nice overdrive and clean tones. I will look at purchasing a tube amp in the future but for now the Randall is plenty loud and sings happily.

Just a note: I have researched a lot of Dimarzio pickups and have played a few Ibanez RG's equipped with Dimarzio's and love the tone they produce, but I'm not sure which ones would react well with a heavier wood.

Any suggestions are welcome, but passive pickups only please
Last edited by HeadlessCross at Aug 5, 2011,
Bridge: any hot A5 PAF type, like a WCR Darkburst.

No idea on the others.
Everyone is entitled to an opinion.

Feel free to express yours so I can make an informed judgement about how stupid you are.
I'd recommend the Dimarzio Air Norton S for the neck- it breathed new life into my Ibby SAS36 (which is also mahogany) and it is now a VERY versatile guitar in terms of sound. On a clean sound it can sound very jazzy, especially if you play around with the tone knob or play with fingers. But dial up the distortion and suddenly it's ready for some searing-fast shred in the realm of Paul Gilbert!

I realised after typing this that you're after a single-coil pickup- the aforementioned Air Norton S is a strat-sized humbucker. But assuming you have a 5-way switch, it can still provide that "glassy" strat single-coil sound.

Hope that helps somewhat!
i recommend a dimarzio true velvet for one of your SC's, i have one in my ibanez 3550, and has a pretty well balanced tone to it, maybe favoring the high/high mids a little bit and i really like it. sounds nasty with an Orange DT.
WTLT 2014 GG&A

Quote by andersondb7
alright "king of the guitar forum"

Quote by trashedlostfdup
nope i am "GOD of the guitar forum" i think that fits me better.

Quote by andersondb7
youre just being a jerk man.

****** NEW NEW NEW!
2017-07-07 2017-07-07 Update and a Chat On Noise Constraints *** NEW FRIDAY 7/7
2017-04-13 RUN AWAY from COMPUTERS!!! TCE? RANT ALERT!!!
2017-03-02 - Guitar Philosophy 1001- Be Prepared For the Situation (Thursday 2017-03-02)
2017-02-21 How to Hot-Rod the Hell of your Stratocaster for $50! (Tuesday 2017-2-21)
Resentments and Rambling from a Guitar Junkie
---> http://trashedengineering.blogspot.com/
Quote by SilverSpurs616
I'd recommend the Dimarzio Air Norton S for the neck- it breathed new life into my Ibby SAS36 (which is also mahogany) and it is now a VERY versatile guitar in terms of sound. On a clean sound it can sound very jazzy, especially if you play around with the tone knob or play with fingers. But dial up the distortion and suddenly it's ready for some searing-fast shred in the realm of Paul Gilbert!

I realised after typing this that you're after a single-coil pickup- the aforementioned Air Norton S is a strat-sized humbucker. But assuming you have a 5-way switch, it can still provide that "glassy" strat single-coil sound.

Hope that helps somewhat!

This pickup sounds promising. I only used the word's "single-coil" to describe the size, is "strat-sized pickup" better terminology? Either way I like thought of having the neck pup with humbucker qualities and still being able to achieve a strat-sound as the switch is 5-way.

Quote by trashedlostfdup
i recommend a dimarzio true velvet for one of your SC's, i have one in my ibanez 3550, and has a pretty well balanced tone to it, maybe favoring the high/high mids a little bit and i really like it. sounds nasty with an Orange DT.

According to the Dimarzio website the ratings for the True Velvet are:

Treble: 8.5

Mid: 4.5

Bass: 3.5

Which is almost opposite to what I'm looking for in a neck pickup. It could be a possible middle pickup though!
i had an x2n in the bridge of my cort x6 vpr and that thing blew me away. huge output and super responsive. its dimarzio's hottest pup and great tone out of it. if that isn't your thing try an evolution in the bridge? that should be the most versatile for a bridge hum bucker
Quote by andrerist
i had an x2n in the bridge of my cort x6 vpr and that thing blew me away. huge output and super responsive. its dimarzio's hottest pup and great tone out of it. if that isn't your thing try an evolution in the bridge? that should be the most versatile for a bridge hum bucker

The x2n has been sitting in my mind since I first came across it and it would look sick in my guitar! How well does it clean up when rolling back the volume knob?

The Evo was another one I have been considering but I have heard of people having difficulty finding a decent sound for playing in the lower register because the amount of high frequencies and presence overpower the tone. Just rumors maybe?
the x2n is absoutely terrible. i owned two of them, and put them in five or six guitars. they aregood for one thing, high output. do the have high output? yes it does, but no dynamics, they are sterile. they have been around forever and there are better pickups since then, i am still suprised Dimarzio makes it.
WTLT 2014 GG&A

Quote by andersondb7
alright "king of the guitar forum"

Quote by trashedlostfdup
nope i am "GOD of the guitar forum" i think that fits me better.

Quote by andersondb7
youre just being a jerk man.

****** NEW NEW NEW!
2017-07-07 2017-07-07 Update and a Chat On Noise Constraints *** NEW FRIDAY 7/7
2017-04-13 RUN AWAY from COMPUTERS!!! TCE? RANT ALERT!!!
2017-03-02 - Guitar Philosophy 1001- Be Prepared For the Situation (Thursday 2017-03-02)
2017-02-21 How to Hot-Rod the Hell of your Stratocaster for $50! (Tuesday 2017-2-21)
Resentments and Rambling from a Guitar Junkie
---> http://trashedengineering.blogspot.com/
Quote by trashedlostfdup
the x2n is absoutely terrible. i owned two of them, and put them in five or six guitars. they aregood for one thing, high output. do the have high output? yes it does, but no dynamics, they are sterile. they have been around forever and there are better pickups since then, i am still suprised Dimarzio makes it.

+1

The X2N is really a pickup that won't work for 99/100 people. It's bright, shrill with a brittle sound that can best described as Chuck-y but without balls unless you mod it.

I'll post my recs when I'm in front of a computer.
Quote by Blompcube
it's so cool to hate Gibson, even the federal Department of Justice hates them.

( )( )
( . .) This is Bunny. Copy and paste Bunny into your
C('')('') signature to help him gain world domination.
Last edited by ragingkitty at Aug 5, 2011,
Quote by HeadlessCross
This pickup sounds promising. I only used the word's "single-coil" to describe the size, is "strat-sized pickup" better terminology? Either way I like thought of having the neck pup with humbucker qualities and still being able to achieve a strat-sound as the switch is 5-way.

Yep, strat-sized is a better way to describe it. I love having a humbucker in my SAS36 which has the strat-style H-S-S config, and it sounds like this kinda thing would be a good match for what you want.
Quote by SilverSpurs616
Yep, strat-sized is a better way to describe it. I love having a humbucker in my SAS36 which has the strat-style H-S-S config, and it sounds like this kinda thing would be a good match for what you want.

Thanks, I changed the op. I used the pickup picker app on the Dimarzio site which also suggested the Air Norton S but I'm not sure how accurate the app is.
Quote by HeadlessCross
The x2n has been sitting in my mind since I first came across it and it would look sick in my guitar! How well does it clean up when rolling back the volume knob?

The Evo was another one I have been considering but I have heard of people having difficulty finding a decent sound for playing in the lower register because the amount of high frequencies and presence overpower the tone. Just rumors maybe?

honestly i quite liked it clean and with some grit. it was super bright and chimy when the volume was rolled back and had some serious crunch. i think that it is mostly a matter of working it with your guitars volume and eq'ing the amp and whatnot to suit it. i never had issues with it.

i had to return that guitar a while ago for a new amp but i still have the x2n sitting on my desk waiting for me to buy back the guitar and put it right back in
Quote by andrerist
honestly i quite liked it clean and with some grit. it was super bright and chimy when the volume was rolled back and had some serious crunch. i think that it is mostly a matter of working it with your guitars volume and eq'ing the amp and whatnot to suit it. i never had issues with it.

i had to return that guitar a while ago for a new amp but i still have the x2n sitting on my desk waiting for me to buy back the guitar and put it right back in

Just a matter of interest, what guitar were you using it in?
Quote by HeadlessCross
Just a matter of interest, what guitar were you using it in?

it was a cort x6 vpr in the bridge. its a basswood body so its a pretty light wood. however, i would imagine that the sound would be real nice in a mahogany or other heavy wood. I've got active emg's in my schecter (mahogany) and thats a damn nice tone no matter what I'm playing
Quote by andrerist
it was a cort x6 vpr in the bridge. its a basswood body so its a pretty light wood. however, i would imagine that the sound would be real nice in a mahogany or other heavy wood. I've got active emg's in my schecter (mahogany) and thats a damn nice tone no matter what I'm playing

Ahh sorry didn't realise you were the poster that first suggested the x2n. There seems to be mixed opinions on the x2n. Obviously it comes down to personal preference. I'm tossing up between the x2n and Evo for the bridge pup; the x2n being an extremely high output pickup that would cater my needs for metal/shred, or the Evo being more versatile and (possibly?) having more character to the tone.
the evo i think would be more versatile. think steve vai, he's got them in all of his jem's. its a badass pup and sounds great. the evo was made more so to contend with the passive emg's and the high output seymour duncans. for some people the x2n is hit or miss. i really liked the way it sounded for both the cleans and dirt. cleans sounded very bright and crisp and with the volume rolled back it was very clear. it responds well to pick attack and has a real nice "oomph" with dirt. if you work on using your volume on the guitar you can get a huge variety of sounds out of it. if possible try and play them both?

x2n's are tough to find and you kinda have to take a leap of faith when it comes to buying pickups. you should be able to try out the evo if your local music shop has the high end ibanez jem's.

for me, i really like the x2n but the evo wouldn't be a bad decision either.
Quote by andrerist
the evo i think would be more versatile. think steve vai, he's got them in all of his jem's. its a badass pup and sounds great. the evo was made more so to contend with the passive emg's and the high output seymour duncans. for some people the x2n is hit or miss. i really liked the way it sounded for both the cleans and dirt. cleans sounded very bright and crisp and with the volume rolled back it was very clear. it responds well to pick attack and has a real nice "oomph" with dirt. if you work on using your volume on the guitar you can get a huge variety of sounds out of it. if possible try and play them both?

x2n's are tough to find and you kinda have to take a leap of faith when it comes to buying pickups. you should be able to try out the evo if your local music shop has the high end ibanez jem's.

for me, i really like the x2n but the evo wouldn't be a bad decision either.

I find I am constantly using the volume and tone knob when playing. I may have picked up the habit from watching live Satriani DVD's. The description you gave for the Evo sounds almost exactly what I'm after but I will definitely make a point in trying both if possible. Also, I know some music shops have a return/replace policy for a certain number of days.

I would recommend the Air Norton S (like many others have) for the neck. A Paf Pro for the bridge and in the middle a Cruiser for some natural strat sounds
Current Gear
-----------------
Washburn WI66 Pro //
Ibanez Prestige SA1260 //
Schecter C1 Blackjack //
Fernandes Ravelle Elite //
Wahburn HB35 Semi-Hollowbody
Blackstar HT40
Quote by barnesybaby
I would recommend the Air Norton S (like many others have) for the neck. A Paf Pro for the bridge and in the middle a Cruiser for some natural strat sounds

I was actually thinking of the Cruiser in the middle if i had the Air Norton S in the neck. They have the same appearance and The Cruiser is claimed to be suitable with higher output bridge pups and have a similar sound to a true-single coil.

Not sure about the PAF Pro. A quote from the Dimarzio site: "it’s an exceptional bridge pickup when high output isn’t required."

What is it like if I crank the gain when high output is required?
i don't know for sure but i believe a lower output pup used with higher gain would result in a less saturated tone? i am completely guessing here and I'm thinking about this as I'm writing. but if it isn't as hot of a pup, then it isn't going to be able to pick up the vibrations of the strings quite as precisely as a hotter pup. therefore maybe the tone would be slightly muddied and not ring quite as true?

i guess it depends on the pickup itself. if its more along the lines of a vintage hot then you'll probably still get a nice sizzle and crunch out of it. as compared to todays high gain pups (like an EMG) that just scream
have you considered lace pickups for the single coils? i have never personally played them but back wen i had my squire strat i was going to put in a full set of lace pups. there were some of the best single coils I've heard about. so maybe take a look into them?

http://www.lacemusic.com/
What you just described to me is exactly what I get with my BKP's HSS set up right now.

I have a BKP Painkiller in the bridge, and two BKP Trilogy Suites in the middle and neck, I promise you, you will not be let down by these pickups, especially if it's a mahogany bodied guitar, will really make that Painkiller shine.

Painkiller does great with any kind of metal, and can get twangy for blues or country if you clean up the gain a bit. It also has a nice modern clean tone, very good for a ceramic humbucker. It has a very tight and responsive low end, yet, it sounds huge, and has a huge midrange so it will punch like no other.

The Trilogy Suites are true single coils, but designed for lots of gain, and have a very deep, powerful modern clean tone. You can really shred it up on these pickups, and have stupid amounts of sustain, while having the punch of a humbucker, but retaining the characteristics of a single coil, without the buzz.

In the neck, it's very smooth, very controlled, yet, it'll punch though the mix, and it doesn't take much gain to make them sing.
Quote by andrerist
have you considered lace pickups for the single coils? i have never personally played them but back wen i had my squire strat i was going to put in a full set of lace pups. there were some of the best single coils I've heard about. so maybe take a look into them?

http://www.lacemusic.com/

I've never come across them before. Thanks for the link I'll check them out now!

What you just described to me is exactly what I get with my BKP's HSS set up right now.

I have a BKP Painkiller in the bridge, and two BKP Trilogy Suites in the middle and neck, I promise you, you will not be let down by these pickups, especially if it's a mahogany bodied guitar, will really make that Painkiller shine.

Painkiller does great with any kind of metal, and can get twangy for blues or country if you clean up the gain a bit. It also has a nice modern clean tone, very good for a ceramic humbucker. It has a very tight and responsive low end, yet, it sounds huge, and has a huge midrange so it will punch like no other.

The Trilogy Suites are true single coils, but designed for lots of gain, and have a very deep, powerful modern clean tone. You can really shred it up on these pickups, and have stupid amounts of sustain, while having the punch of a humbucker, but retaining the characteristics of a single coil, without the buzz.

In the neck, it's very smooth, very controlled, yet, it'll punch though the mix, and it doesn't take much gain to make them sing.

I've heard good things about BKP's, I'll be sure to check these out too. Thanks!

EDIT: After reading reviews given from the BKP website, the painkiller sounds like it would sound wicked in as a bridge pickup as a lot of the reviewers owned mahogany guitars. I noticed there was a lot of talk about rhythm/chord playing and low end tightness and not so much about the upper register. How does it sound when ripping out a solo?
Last edited by HeadlessCross at Aug 8, 2011,
Quote by HeadlessCross
EDIT: After reading reviews given from the BKP website, the painkiller sounds like it would sound wicked in as a bridge pickup as a lot of the reviewers owned mahogany guitars. I noticed there was a lot of talk about rhythm/chord playing and low end tightness and not so much about the upper register. How does it sound when ripping out a solo?

Mine sound brootalz and responsive. Very tight and dynamic whether you need to go light or dig in. Fast bass response and never muddy.

If your tone is dark and the tonewood inheriently heavy, it's a good choice because the mid focus is in the higher mids, hence the tone is a little bright (but not too bright), a good choice to offset a darker tone.
Quote by Blompcube

( )( )
Last edited by ragingkitty at Aug 8, 2011,
Quote by ragingkitty
Mine sound brootalz and responsive. Very tight and dynamic whether you need to go light or dig in. Fast bass response and never muddy.

If your tone is dark and the tonewood inheriently heavy, it's a good choice because the mid focus is in the higher mids, hence the tone is a little bright (but not too bright), a good choice to offset a darker tone.

Hmm ok I'm not after the whole "BROOTALZ" sound. I almost always play in standard or drop D tuning and as I said in the OP I play a variety of genres, not just modern metal.
Quote by HeadlessCross
Hmm ok I'm not after the whole "BROOTALZ" sound. I almost always play in standard or drop D tuning and as I said in the OP I play a variety of genres, not just modern metal.

It can do alot more than brotalz, it's just, it was designed to do that the best.

Today at band practice, I was using mine with my TS9 to do some reggae type stuff, sounded really good.

It's a good balanced pickup, if you EQ right. Best thing about BKP's is that if you don't like it, it retains it's value very very well. So, you buy a $140 Pk, you can prolly sell it for $120.
Quote by ethan_hanus
It can do alot more than brotalz, it's just, it was designed to do that the best.

Today at band practice, I was using mine with my TS9 to do some reggae type stuff, sounded really good.

It's a good balanced pickup, if you EQ right. Best thing about BKP's is that if you don't like it, it retains it's value very very well. So, you buy a $140 Pk, you can prolly sell it for $120.

Reggae? Nice stuff! How about satch/vai style leads, using delay effects etc. Or huge David Gilmour bends and sustain? Is it still clean sounding or does the tone start to get too harsh?
Quote by HeadlessCross
Reggae? Nice stuff! How about satch/vai style leads, using delay effects etc. Or huge David Gilmour bends and sustain? Is it still clean sounding or does the tone start to get too harsh?

Idk, I've never tried to get those tones with it. I imagine it would work great though, for me, in a Alder guitar, in the bridge position, it's just a tad too bright to do much lead work with it.

The cleans are pretty good, running a 1 meg volume pot gives it a little bit more brightness, so it actually starts to overdrive the preamp without any gain applied, so you get this nice, just ever so slightly overdriven clean, which works great for me, cause if I want clean cleans, I'll use my Trilogy Suites.

Let me post some clips of the tones I get.

Just a overview of the Painkiller(DI'd out of Valveking): http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=nPVL2VshfvA

A complete song using the PK for rhythm, and Trilogy Suite in the neck for lead(miced with SM-58): http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=gF3RGdNJmVw

Really old song I did with the PK on cleans(DI'd out of VK): http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=fyIF-AmYZg0

Cleans with the Trilogy Suites(DI'd out of Valveking): http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=xkUnZI37P-k

Trilogy Suites doing metal( middle coil miced up with SM-58): http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=F2RS1e_7quY&feature=related

Trilogy Suites doing a bit of a jazzy thing(DI'd out of a Trace Elliot RAH350SMX bass amp): http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=17wSRZ_L1-k

Trilogy Suites doing some blues, my playing fails though (Valveking with TS9 on the clean channel, miced with SM-58): http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Gid4KBs9ups

Painkiller doing very hard rock blues, same and the above song, Trilogy Suite is still doing leads( Valveking miced up with SM-58): http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=WZYL_YtUVY8

Painkiller doing one of the worhip songs I play at church, we play kind heavy lol. (DI'd out of Valveking): http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=TXEMUwvOx4M
Last edited by ethan_hanus at Aug 9, 2011,
Quote by ethan_hanus
Idk, I've never tried to get those tones with it. I imagine it would work great though, for me, in a Alder guitar, in the bridge position, it's just a tad too bright to do much lead work with it.

The cleans are pretty good, running a 1 meg volume pot gives it a little bit more brightness, so it actually starts to overdrive the preamp without any gain applied, so you get this nice, just ever so slightly overdriven clean, which works great for me, cause if I want clean cleans, I'll use my Trilogy Suites.

Let me post some clips of the tones I get.

Just a overview of the Painkiller(DI'd out of Valveking): http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=nPVL2VshfvA

A complete song using the PK for rhythm, and Trilogy Suite in the neck for lead(miced with SM-58): http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=gF3RGdNJmVw

Really old song I did with the PK on cleans(DI'd out of VK): http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=fyIF-AmYZg0

Cleans with the Trilogy Suites(DI'd out of Valveking): http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=xkUnZI37P-k

Trilogy Suites doing metal( middle coil miced up with SM-58): http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=F2RS1e_7quY&feature=related

Trilogy Suites doing a bit of a jazzy thing(DI'd out of a Trace Elliot RAH350SMX bass amp): http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=17wSRZ_L1-k

Trilogy Suites doing some blues, my playing fails though (Valveking with TS9 on the clean channel, miced with SM-58): http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Gid4KBs9ups

Painkiller doing very hard rock blues, same and the above song, Trilogy Suite is still doing leads( Valveking miced up with SM-58): http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=WZYL_YtUVY8

Hmm maybe I'm asking for too much from one pickup? I know Satch/Gilmour uses the neck pickup to achieve their tone a lot of the time anyway.

Thanks for the video links! I've only been able to watch the first two due to a slow connection, but I'll make of point of watching the rest! The painkiller sounds sick by the way, definitely a nice rhythm sound you got going on.

I might drop BKP's an email and see what they suggest too.
Quote by HeadlessCross

The Painkiller was designed to be really tight so that you can use it in drop tunings. There's really no such thing as a brootalz or bloos pickup.

Pickups are wound to give certain characteristics desired for certain styles of music, but ultimately whether its brootalz or not would depend on how you use it.

I use my Painkiller to play classical pieces like Swan Lake and Fur Elise... so I don't think it really screams brootalz in that way.
Quote by Blompcube

( )( )
Quote by HeadlessCross
Hmm maybe I'm asking for too much from one pickup? I know Satch/Gilmour uses the neck pickup to achieve their tone a lot of the time anyway.

Thanks for the video links! I've only been able to watch the first two due to a slow connection, but I'll make of point of watching the rest! The painkiller sounds sick by the way, definitely a nice rhythm sound you got going on.

I might drop BKP's an email and see what they suggest too.

Yeah, the PK can't do everything, but that's where the Trilogy Suites come in handy in a HSS set up.

I highly recommend you email Tim at BKP, he usually always recommends the right pickup, he recommended the PK and TS's for me, so I'm happy with what he thought I should get.
I emailed BKP's and they (Ben French) replied within a couple of hours, so +1 on their service! I gave them a detailed description, pretty much what I gave in the OP.

He recommended the Nailbomb, explaining how it was "high output, versatile, warm, aggressive, clear - never muddy and never harsh." He also said "Short leg and 4 conductor best", but I don't understand what this means.
Quote by HeadlessCross
I emailed BKP's and they (Ben French) replied within a couple of hours, so +1 on their service! I gave them a detailed description, pretty much what I gave in the OP.

He recommended the Nailbomb, explaining how it was "high output, versatile, warm, aggressive, clear - never muddy and never harsh." He also said "Short leg and 4 conductor best", but I don't understand what this means.

The Nailbomb is a great pickup, it's like Godsend for Les Pauls, so I can see how they would think it'd work for you. But it's geared more towards classic metal and pure rock n roll.

Here's a cruddy video of the Nailbomb doing some rock leads, it's hard to concentrate on tone because the soling is just so friken awesome.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=VKkMxJiCjTU

The short thing, I have no idea, but the 4 conductor thing means it has 4 conductor wire, so you can coil split the humbucker. Did he recommend you any single coils?
Quote by ethan_hanus
The Nailbomb is a great pickup, it's like Godsend for Les Pauls, so I can see how they would think it'd work for you. But it's geared more towards classic metal and pure rock n roll.

Here's a cruddy video of the Nailbomb doing some rock leads, it's hard to concentrate on tone because the soling is just so friken awesome.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=VKkMxJiCjTU

The short thing, I have no idea, but the 4 conductor thing means it has 4 conductor wire, so you can coil split the humbucker. Did he recommend you any single coils?

Thanks for the video link. LOVING the tone and the camera position!
I downloaded some sound clips from their website and Nailbomb appears to be quite versatile and it nailed the "modern metal" pretty well I thought.

No he didn't recommend any single coils but that's probably because my question was focused more on the bridge pickup anyway. I'll most probably have to reply to clarify what the short leg thing means, so I'll also ask if he can suggest some single coils. The previously suggested trilogy suites look nice though!
Quote by HeadlessCross
Thanks for the video link. LOVING the tone and the camera position!
I downloaded some sound clips from their website and Nailbomb appears to be quite versatile and it nailed the "modern metal" pretty well I thought.

No he didn't recommend any single coils but that's probably because my question was focused more on the bridge pickup anyway. I'll most probably have to reply to clarify what the short leg thing means, so I'll also ask if he can suggest some single coils. The previously suggested trilogy suites look nice though!

Humm, I have to ask, are you ready to fork out over $300 for a set of pickups? The Nailbomb is $140-$150 each, and the single coils are $89 each. I had to save up a long time for mine.

If you live in America, I'd order from here, these guys had great customer service with me. http://guitarasylum.com/index.php?/vmchk/pickups/bare-knuckle-pickups/view-all-products
Quote by ethan_hanus
Humm, I have to ask, are you ready to fork out over $300 for a set of pickups? The Nailbomb is $140-$150 each, and the single coils are $89 each. I had to save up a long time for mine.

If you live in America, I'd order from here, these guys had great customer service with me. http://guitarasylum.com/index.php?/vmchk/pickups/bare-knuckle-pickups/view-all-products

That is why if I was to buy a BKP I would most probably get the bridge pickup at this stage. You make a good point, that amount of money spent on the pickups would be worth more than the guitar itself, although it has sentimental value too.
Quote by HeadlessCross
That is why if I was to buy a BKP I would most probably get the bridge pickup at this stage. You make a good point, that amount of money spent on the pickups would be worth more than the guitar itself, although it has sentimental value too.

It's ok, I put over $700 though my $150 Squier Affinity, and I love it, and it's still the only electric guitar I've owned...over 7 years... I'll prolly end up getting a CV Squier and dropping in a set of BKP "The Sinners" Singles coils and make it a sleep strat.

If anything, you'll have the pickups for life, so you can just put them in whatever guitar you want that comes down the line...but for the love of God, do not cut off the extra wire on the pickups, when the guy installed my PK(was having issues with wiring it up, so I took it to a tech) he cut off all the extra wire, and now I have a 1 1/2 stub of wire on my PK, pissed me off so much.
Quote by ethan_hanus
It's ok, I put over $700 though my $150 Squier Affinity, and I love it, and it's still the only electric guitar I've owned...over 7 years... I'll prolly end up getting a CV Squier and dropping in a set of BKP "The Sinners" Singles coils and make it a sleep strat.

If anything, you'll have the pickups for life, so you can just put them in whatever guitar you want that comes down the line...but for the love of God, do not cut off the extra wire on the pickups, when the guy installed my PK(was having issues with wiring it up, so I took it to a tech) he cut off all the extra wire, and now I have a 1 1/2 stub of wire on my PK, pissed me off so much.

That's true and I see BKP's have a lifetime warranty too.

Thanks for the heads up about the wire, I'll take note of that!

Sorry to rejoin late on in the thread. I said the Paf Pro as it is in my opinion the go to pick up for a versatile tone. If you specifically wanted more high gain then the sky is the limit. Something like a Super Distortion, Tone Zone or Breed would give more output (they also vary from more classic, heavy and crisp styles of tone (if that makes sense)) without over powering the single coils and unbalancing the sound.

Lace sensors are incredible single coils but their humbuckers leave something to be desired, even the Red/Red 'bucker is alright at best in my opinion.

BKP are again insanely good, very local to me too so I have had the fortune to try a few. But the price is representative of that so unless completely necessary I don't recommend them.

You have been given a lot of good advice in this thread though so sure you'll make a good decision
Current Gear
-----------------
Washburn WI66 Pro //
Ibanez Prestige SA1260 //
Schecter C1 Blackjack //
Fernandes Ravelle Elite //
Wahburn HB35 Semi-Hollowbody
Blackstar HT40
Page 1 of 2