so. i'm a guitarist whos played about year or two and i ain't really good. but in these past months i have gone to songwriting just for trying it and now i need an advice:

is it usual to work so hard/long on a song that, even though it sounds good, you are just fed up making it, it is like hearing your favorite song 10 000 times. so is it beneficial to continue processing it anyhow?

sorry about the crappy language. my language isn't english.
This is normal. I would suggest taking a break from it- don't listen to or work on it for say, a month. You're simply too used to hearing it that it's become boring to you, just like listening to an album over and over.. in time, you'll appreciate it again in the meantime, start work on a new song! You seem very dedicated, so I'm sure you'll produce some good results.
It's normal. If, after a while you lose motivation to work on a particular song, you can always record/write it down (recording is better though), and just keep it saved somewhere. Eventually you'll come back to it, maybe with a sudden burst of inspiration, or when you feel motivated to do so. Eventually you'll have a big library of unfinished songs, and sooner or later you'll have a few good ones to finish.
thanks for your advices. =)
thats very good thing to hear.

ps. i listened to those songs of yours zincabo, and they are both really good.
Quote by zincabopataurio
It's normal. If, after a while you lose motivation to work on a particular song, you can always record/write it down (recording is better though), and just keep it saved somewhere. Eventually you'll come back to it, maybe with a sudden burst of inspiration, or when you feel motivated to do so. Eventually you'll have a big library of unfinished songs, and sooner or later you'll have a few good ones to finish.

Are you a Steve Vai fan?
EDIT: I was aiming at if you got that from Steve Vai.
Last edited by liampje at Aug 8, 2011,
Quote by liampje
Are you a Steve Vai fan?
EDIT: I was aiming at if you got that from Steve Vai.

I am indeed a big fan of Vai he might have said something very similar, reading it back it seems the kinda thing he'd say
Quote by stubastian
so. i'm a guitarist whos played about year or two and i ain't really good. but in these past months i have gone to songwriting just for trying it and now i need an advice:

is it usual to work so hard/long on a song that, even though it sounds good, you are just fed up making it, it is like hearing your favorite song 10 000 times. so is it beneficial to continue processing it anyhow?

Yes, it's normal. It's called progress and development and you'll go through A LOT of it.

And is it beneficial to continue? Very much so, it teaches you to finish what you started even if you're not feeling it. And while sometimes it'll come out shitty, sometimes it won't.

Having said that, I've had more unfinished songs than finished ones by a longshot
Think you're bored now? How do you think Metallica feels about Enter Sandman? They would have played it at every gig they've had for the last 20 years.

Once you reach a certain point with a song where you're almost "bored" of it, you need to find other ways to enjoy it. The best way to enjoy it is to perform it infront of a crowd and watch them enjoy it for the first time, or to just enjoy the song as a whole by yourself, and not worry about the effort you put into making it.

I actually believe that getting "bored" of songs is desirable before you actually gig them, as at that point they will have been engrained so deeply with you that you can focus on your performance rather than trying to remember how the bridge goes.
And no, Guitar Hero will not help. Even on expert. Really.
Soundcloud
Quote by AlanHB
I actually believe that getting "bored" of songs is desirable before you actually gig them, as at that point they will have been engrained so deeply with you that you can focus on your performance rather than trying to remember how the bridge goes.

This.
Quote by stubastian

you're english is fine by the way.

but i think its good to take a break. if its frustrating you, work on something else or just stop playing for the rest of the day. come back later with fresh ears and you will enjoy the process a lot more. and if you enjoy it more, then you may come up with better things.
I also become bored making songs but less nowadays. When you get more experienced writing and recording the process becomes more efficient, leaving you less time to become bored.

By all means have a break from a song, but do try to finish it. The trouble with leaving them and moving on is that you won't go back to them, and you never progress beyond a certain point.

The song I'm writing now was not working. I was nearly ready to give up, but I carried on. Suddenly something clicked into place - I was happy with my playing and the sound - and this gave me inspiration to carry on.