So, I'm thinking of getting some new pups for my dual humbucker Mexican Tele. Right now it just has the stock P90's, so I'm going to replace both pick-ups. On the bridge I want a good pick-up for metal/pinch harmonics (possibly EMG) and for the neck I want a pick-up I can use for jazz, blues, and other clean and slightly dirty tones (I try to play a little bit of everything.) I don't have a budget right now, but it would be nice just to get an estimate. New or used is fine, and my closest city is Oklahoma City. Thanks in advance!
you're a stone fox
No budget?

Bridge: Bare Knuckle Aftermath
Neck: Bare Knuckle Nailbomb / Bare Knuckle Cold Sweat
Quote by Blompcube
it's so cool to hate Gibson, even the federal Department of Justice hates them.

( )( )
( . .) This is Bunny. Copy and paste Bunny into your
C('')('') signature to help him gain world domination.
^that, or on the active side of the coin, and EMG 81/60 set, or if you want a bit less sterility, 81X/60X.
Spin 'round carousel when your horse isn't screwed in.

My band:
Fractured Instinct
(For fans of Death/Groove/Prog Metal)

Ibanez RGA42E
Ibanez S420
LTD H-301
Ibanez RG520
Peavey Predator USA
Douglas Grendel 725
Line 6 Pod HD500X
^ very good idea. the 81 is the ideal metal pickup. screaming hot and great for some serious chugging. the 60 is a slightly lower output pup but is still active and should be better for some jazz stuff
I'd keep it with P-90s, just for the unique factor. Go with these if they are humbucker spaced P-90's.

BKP Stockholm P-90's. http://www.bareknucklepickups.co.uk/main/pickups.php?cat=p90s&sub=humbucker_sized_p90s&pickup=stockholm

If they are normal spaced P-90's, then go with these.

BKP Pig 90's. http://www.bareknucklepickups.co.uk/main/pickups.php?cat=p90s&sub=p90s&pickup=pig_90
does it have p90s or humbuckers?
I'm an idiot and I accidentally clicked the "Remove all subscriptions" button. If it seems like I'm ignoring you, I'm not, I'm just no longer subscribed to the thread. If you quote me or do the @user thing at me, hopefully it'll notify me through my notifications and I'll get back to you.
Quote by K33nbl4d3
I'll have to put the Classic T models on my to-try list. Shame the finish options there are Anachronism Gold, Nuclear Waste and Aged Clown, because in principle the plaintop is right up my alley.

Quote by K33nbl4d3
Presumably because the CCF (Combined Corksniffing Forces) of MLP and Gibson forums would rise up against them, plunging the land into war.

Quote by T00DEEPBLUE
Et tu, br00tz?
Quote by Dave_Mc
does it have p90s or humbuckers?

Here's an image off the internet, mine is the same only silver.
you're a stone fox
ah ok, so it has humbuckers

if you play a bit of everything i'd be wary about going active (or at least EMG, I haven't tried duncan's actives)... most of them aren't particularly versatile and sound a bit "hi-fi" most of the time if you aren't careful. Plus if you go passive you can get a high output (or pretty high output) bridge pickup for the heavier stuff and combine it with a lower output neck pickup for versatility*.

what's your amp?

*yes i realise you can combine actives and passives but it's a faff.
I'm an idiot and I accidentally clicked the "Remove all subscriptions" button. If it seems like I'm ignoring you, I'm not, I'm just no longer subscribed to the thread. If you quote me or do the @user thing at me, hopefully it'll notify me through my notifications and I'll get back to you.
Quote by K33nbl4d3
I'll have to put the Classic T models on my to-try list. Shame the finish options there are Anachronism Gold, Nuclear Waste and Aged Clown, because in principle the plaintop is right up my alley.

Quote by K33nbl4d3
Presumably because the CCF (Combined Corksniffing Forces) of MLP and Gibson forums would rise up against them, plunging the land into war.

Quote by T00DEEPBLUE
Et tu, br00tz?
Quote by Dave_Mc
ah ok, so it has humbuckers

if you play a bit of everything i'd be wary about going active (or at least EMG, I haven't tried duncan's actives)... most of them aren't particularly versatile and sound a bit "hi-fi" most of the time if you aren't careful. Plus if you go passive you can get a high output (or pretty high output) bridge pickup for the heavier stuff and combine it with a lower output neck pickup for versatility*.

what's your amp?

*yes i realise you can combine actives and passives but it's a faff.

Epi Valve Jr. Half Stack
you're a stone fox
i have no issues with actives and if you kno how to work your volume knob they can be really versatile. ya there are some things they can't do that passives can but all in all i love actives. they aren't for everyone so i would suggest playing em to see how you feel about them.

and another note, if you go actives ur gonna have to have some body work on the guitar done so that it can accept the battery and there is a possibility for some more routing to be done to accept the electronics. just something to keep in mind
Quote by Saint78
Epi Valve Jr. Half Stack

ah ok, i'm guessing you have some dirt pedals for that range of tones?
Quote by K33nbl4d3

Quote by K33nbl4d3

Quote by T00DEEPBLUE
Et tu, br00tz?
Quote by Dave_Mc
ah ok, i'm guessing you have some dirt pedals for that range of tones?

Yes, I usually use an RP70 for my tones, but I also use a Jekyll and Hyde Visual Sound pedal for distortion and overdrive sometimes.
you're a stone fox
ok that'd be fine

if you want to stick to the big brands, maybe one of the duncan customs in the bridge with a '59 in the neck, or maybe a dimarzio norton (haven't tried that one but it's meant to be the all-rounder) with one of the dimarzio pafs in the neck?
Quote by K33nbl4d3

Quote by K33nbl4d3

Quote by T00DEEPBLUE
Et tu, br00tz?
Okay, that'd probably work, but what's a paf? Sorry, I know nothing about pick-ups
you're a stone fox
Quote by Saint78
Okay, that'd probably work, but what's a paf? Sorry, I know nothing about pick-ups

Patent Applied For. It means it's trying to recreate a pickup made by Gibson in the '50s. Gibson coined the term Patent Applied For and now everyone and their dog claims to make "A P.A.F on steroids!"
Better, Faster, Stronger

Kansas City Chiefs

Kansas State Wildcats
Quote by airbrendie
Hey guys in the last 3 weeks I ****ed all the girls in this picture, what do you think?

yeah, basically.

there are a bunch of dimarzio paf models (which have paf in the title of the pickup... the paf pro and joe are a bit more modern-sounding, though).
Quote by K33nbl4d3

Quote by K33nbl4d3

Quote by T00DEEPBLUE
Et tu, br00tz?
Okay thanks, I think I'm gonna get the EMG 85 for the bridge. Still not sure for the neck.
you're a stone fox
check out GFS pickups. I have hot rail in my tele and its amazing. It can definitely pull off metal without breaking a sweat. They have a pretty big selection so I'm positive you can find something that fits the bill for your neck pickup.
Quote by Saint78
Okay thanks, I think I'm gonna get the EMG 85 for the bridge. Still not sure for the neck.

i guess it'd be more versatile than an 81, but personally i'd stay away from emgs for versatility. your call, of course, it's your money.
Quote by K33nbl4d3

Quote by K33nbl4d3

Quote by T00DEEPBLUE
Et tu, br00tz?
^ Exactly. It's likely that you won't be pleased with it for the "jazz, blues, and other clean stuff" you listed in the OP. A passive will give you far more versatility. Most of them are cheaper than EMGs too.
Better, Faster, Stronger

Kansas City Chiefs

Kansas State Wildcats
Quote by airbrendie
Hey guys in the last 3 weeks I ****ed all the girls in this picture, what do you think?

Quote by Dave_Mc
i guess it'd be more versatile than an 81, but personally i'd stay away from emgs for versatility. your call, of course, it's your money.

Nononono I was going to have a pick-up in the bridge for all of.the metal stuff.I play, and a neck pickup for all of the bluesy and clean stuff. Sorry, didn't really make that clear enough in the OP.

I'm replacing both pups.
you're a stone fox
Last edited by Saint78 at Aug 13, 2011,
yep, sure. the problem is that if you go with EMGs you're pretty much tied to other EMGs (or at least active pickups... not sure if other brands work together easily or not) for the neck pickup, which is really cutting into your versatility. as i said earlier in the thread.
Quote by K33nbl4d3

Quote by K33nbl4d3

Quote by T00DEEPBLUE
Et tu, br00tz?
Quote by Dave_Mc
yep, sure. the problem is that if you go with EMGs you're pretty much tied to other EMGs (or at least active pickups... not sure if other brands work together easily or not) for the neck pickup, which is really cutting into your versatility. as i said earlier in the thread.

Sorry, like I said, I know nothing about pick-ups.
you're a stone fox
that one should be pretty good for cleans. I haven't tried it, but it's a lower output paf type and that's generally what you want if you want cleans from humbuckers. something a bit hotter in the bridge position combined with that should work pretty well.
Quote by K33nbl4d3

Quote by K33nbl4d3

Quote by T00DEEPBLUE
Et tu, br00tz?
Quote by Dave_Mc
that one should be pretty good for cleans. I haven't tried it, but it's a lower output paf type and that's generally what you want if you want cleans from humbuckers. something a bit hotter in the bridge position combined with that should work pretty well.

Okay, so now I have my neck pick-up, and finding a hot Dimarzio pick-up won't be too hard.
you're a stone fox
isn't that a neck pickup too?

i mean something like a tone zone, norton, super distortion (depending on the tone you want, of course) for the bridge position.
Quote by K33nbl4d3

Quote by K33nbl4d3

Quote by T00DEEPBLUE
Et tu, br00tz?
Quote by Dave_Mc
isn't that a neck pickup too?

i mean something like a tone zone, norton, super distortion (depending on the tone you want, of course) for the bridge position.

That Amazon page said recommended for bridge position, but yeah, Ill,probably get a,super distortion.
you're a stone fox
oh yeah that's right, i remember reading about it on the DM site yesterday.

But yeah it'd only really work as a bridge pickup for more vintage-type tones. for the stuff you want i'd go hotter.
Quote by K33nbl4d3

Quote by K33nbl4d3

Quote by T00DEEPBLUE
Et tu, br00tz?
Yes, thanks for all the help So, I'm going with the Super Distortion and the PAF I mentioned earlier
you're a stone fox
yeah, that should work.

or you could go a little less hot with the bridge pickup for more versatility (e.g. norton i think? haven't tried that one but i think it's meant to be the all-rounder). Just depends on what you want.
Quote by K33nbl4d3

Quote by K33nbl4d3

Quote by T00DEEPBLUE
Et tu, br00tz?