How does one go about writing a song? So you pick a key? Pick scales? If your writing rock or metal how do you use chord progressions in these? What about song structure? Pre chorus, bridge are those just like transitions? I know what chorus and verse are haha its my first time tryin to write songs so im fairly inexperienced. Thanks in advance
The more I think about it the more I think that it kinda has to just... come to you.

A lot of the time I'll just be doodling around on my guitar and illcome up with a riff or progression or something. I don't know if it's in a certain key or anything, i Just kind of go by ear and if it sounds right, then whatever. Then ill just improv some lyrics. They're usually not very good, but it gets the ball rolling and eventually you can come up with something that is good.

I've never had any success in just sitting down and picking a key and going "okay, now what note should i play?"
*reported*

please read the rules of this forum before posting. in this particular case you should repost this is either one of the two subforums we have here in S&L or elsewhere on the website. thank you.