Hi so I need a bass for my church's praise team ( under $300).
We mostly play songs by Hillsong, David Crowder Band, Chris Tomlin, and Jesus Culture.

I have my eyes on the Squier VM Jazz Bass and Im wondering if there's any bass near it's Price that would sound more suitable for my needs. Thank you!
That or an Ibanez would be good.

Just about any bass will work well for you. That's the thing about church music, the instruments that fit are whatever the players play outside of church. Not many people make a career out of that, it's all volunteers so whatever they have on hand they make fit.
you want a sturdy, unassuming instrument.

a VM jazz would be perfect, and as a bonus, the instrument should match the acoustic guitars a little better.
Quote by FatalGear41
I wouldn't call what we have here on the Bass Forum a mentality. It's more like the sharing part of an AA meeting.

Quote by Jason Jillard
HUMANITY WHATS WRONG WITH YOU.

Warwick Fortress>>Acoustic AB50

http://www.myspace.com/rustingbloom
Ok, thanks guys. I'll take what you say into consideration.
But is there any Ibanez basses that are near the VM Jazz's price but are a bit "better"?
Quote by PandamoniumXT
Ok, thanks guys. I'll take what you say into consideration.
But is there any Ibanez basses that are near the VM Jazz's price but are a bit "better"?

any of the SR ibanezes would do fine. The SR300 is about your price point i believe. I occasionally use a SR400 that my church owns for last minute rehearsals when I don't have time to pack up my own and take it, the sound blends fine with acoustic guitars and such. Ibanezes are extremely transparent and blend well with just about anything from the little experience i have. I also have a little experience with the SR300 that i said was in your price range, its a solid bass, but make sure you try it first, ibanez SR necks are a love or hate thing
Mmm, well i was wondering because our former bassist is like an ibanez fanboy and he's telling me to get an Ibanez...

I don't really like the Ibanez's fret sizes (even though my fingers are short, lol). I've just been grown accustomed to medium-jumbo frets (like fenders and squiers).

And Ibanez basses feel really light and sometimes I feel like I'm playing a toy bass instead of an actual one ><
Quote by PandamoniumXT
Mmm, well i was wondering because our former bassist is like an ibanez fanboy and he's telling me to get an Ibanez...

I don't really like the Ibanez's fret sizes (even though my fingers are short, lol). I've just been grown accustomed to medium-jumbo frets (like fenders and squiers).

And Ibanez basses feel really light and sometimes I feel like I'm playing a toy bass instead of an actual one ><

Then don't get one, its that simple. Go for what feels best for you. I can cope with an ibanez, but i wouldn't spend my own money on one of the SRs. All ibanezes are not that way however
I love Ibanez, but if it came down to the 2 for church, I'd grab a Fender.
Quote by FatalGear41
I wouldn't call what we have here on the Bass Forum a mentality. It's more like the sharing part of an AA meeting.

Quote by Jason Jillard
HUMANITY WHATS WRONG WITH YOU.

Warwick Fortress>>Acoustic AB50

http://www.myspace.com/rustingbloom
I'd take a Fender if it's just for church for their subtle looks.
Damn it! Disable can't use disable to disable Disable's disable because disable's disable has already been disabled by Disable's disable!
Quote by dark Mass
I'd take a Fender if it's just for church for their subtle looks.

I do hear ya on the 'subtlety' side of things... but every make, it seems like, does 'subtle' in their own way.

My advice for a church band is to get an active 5 string... Ibanez, Yamaha, G&L, Squire and Fender all do this. I preffer active, as i like the EQ-on-the-fly thing in a church setting.

My step-dad is a pastor, and I play my active 5 string Ibanez CT Bass when i fill in on bass. Classy looking and sounds wonderful:

"Punk Rock should mean freedom, liking and accepting anything that you like, as sloppy as you want, as long as it's good and has passion."
Fender under $300? We speaking used here? If this is your first bass I would go with a Squier jazz bass. I had a Squier 60's deluxe vintage jazz bass (white w tortoise shell pickguard) and it was a great bass. Played live gigs with it and have no complaints about tone. The bass will cost you around $250.00
Any of the Squier Vintage Modified basses are going to be great. Id go for either the VM azz or the VM Jaguar. The Jaguar has a bit bolder churchy gospel sound.
...it was bright as the sun, but with ten times the heat
Quote by c3powil
Any of the Squier Vintage Modified basses are going to be great. Id go for either the VM azz or the VM Jaguar. The Jaguar has a bit bolder churchy gospel sound.

Especially one of the 2 active Jaguars!
"Punk Rock should mean freedom, liking and accepting anything that you like, as sloppy as you want, as long as it's good and has passion."
Quote by corrda00
For under 300 go Ibanez. Best bang for your buck.

Cheap Fenders are just that. Cheap.

That's piss-poor logic, a cheap anything is going to be cheap.

A VM/CV Squier is going to be at least on par with an equally priced Ibanez.
Quote by Ziphoblat
That's piss-poor logic, a cheap anything is going to be cheap.

A VM/CV Squier is going to be at least on par with an equally priced Ibanez.

This is true but both of them look totally different, find a model you like from Squier or Ibanez and just find one you like under $300.00. I wouldn't look at anyother brand, both companies are on their top game right now.