Im in a metalcore band "A False Sense of Valor", Im having a hard time writing songs.
I find the intro to be the hardest part because i want to make t awesome, once i have one i can normally get the song rolling well, but I dont know how a song should be structured. Any suggestions, i want to make my sound be like a mix between We Came as Romans/ Blessthefall/ Asking Alexandria, I play in Drop C
I'm also in a metalcore band with the same influences, but we throw in elements of a lot of other bands such as system of a down and five finger death punch. Usually me and our vocalist will sit in my room, I'll just be throwing random rhythms/melodies together while we talk about lyrics and every once in a while, he'll hear something that he likes and we just start working out the guitar riffs for the song and then work on lyrics afterwards. This is how my band writes most of our songs, hope you can find this helpful.
Last edited by jakeiscool at Aug 6, 2011,
good writing involves playing open string constantly pretty much. it is an awful genre of music.
get into defeater my friend, you won't regret it
Quote by Stretch_Wilson
good writing involves playing open string constantly pretty much. it is an awful genre of music.
get into defeater my friend, you won't regret it

You forgot "IMO"
People like different genres of music to you, the guy was asking for advice, REAL advice. Metalcore is pretty awesome when executed right, bands such as Killswitch Engage, Unearth and Soilwork come to mind. I really don't like the bands op mentioned but I ain't gonna bash him for what he likes. You can't push what you think is the "right" music to listen to onto other people, for starters, it just won't work.

On topic -
Unfortunately, I have little in the way of advice, I seem to have the opposite problem to you, I can write great intros - verses, then I start getting lost and anything I write ends up turning into a collection of riffs.