Hey guys,

Not been on this forum for a long time! Hope all is well

I have recently started to try to review music and have set up a website which I will host some reviews on. I have recieved mixed opinions around the web, some people are very favourable of it all but others dislike web design etc.

However, I wanted to know what you guys at UG thought of it. Not to fussed about the site but I thought some people here may have some good opinions and advice on my reviewing! Let me know what you think

http://www.wix.com/parsnipj/many-music-reviews

Jordan
My Gear
Guitars:
Encore E6 Blaster Series (My First Guitar, Great to learn on)
Jackson DK2S
Fender Squier Telecaster Custom
Amps:
BB10 10 Watt something or another...
60 Watt Marshall JCM 2000 TSL602
Effects:
Boss ME-50 Multi Effects Pedal
The general look of the Home page isn't too nice, Should have stuff on the side like shortcut in my opinion.

Also, do you offer reviews?
My band is getting ready to release our EP on an Indie label and I'm looking for someone to review it?
hey man actually I think your whole design isn't bad really. not that im digging it with eyegasm but it's quiet undergroundish and suits the music i guess

and what Kyle said, do you offer reviews? cause i have my newest album released 2 weeks ago. my 4th already. i'd appreciate a little bit of media exposure
LostLegion, very good idea! I may just do that!

Kyleisthename, thanks for the feedback I will consider some rearranging on the site itself. As for reviewing your band I would love to! If your happy to do so let me know
My Gear
Guitars:
Jackson DK2S
Amps:
Effects:
Sorry for the double post, didn't see your post there Vendetta! I would be happy to review your band, same thing, let me know via pm or email

My site is just starting out so it would be great to get some more upcoming artists such as yourselves on there
My Gear
Guitars:
Jackson DK2S
Amps:
Effects:
Thanks Krizzel

Thats actually a great idea! I will start working on that page soon
My Gear
Guitars:
Jackson DK2S
Amps:
Effects:
Quote by parsons19
Thanks Krizzel

Thats actually a great idea! I will start working on that page soon

And give users the option to chose between different types of sorting:
- album name (alphabetical)
- artist name (alphabetical)
- rating (from top to low)
- release date (chronological)
- genre

If you plan to make a lot of reviews, this would make finding them easier.
The design is really nice, makes it look like it's something important. You could work on doing more reviews, and more diverse ones, but I guess you're already working on that.
I would take out the "click album cover to read review" thing. It makes the website seem clunky. Try and make it more intuitive, maybe a text link with a thumbnail next to it or something.

I like the simple design, but you could expand on it a bit by putting some sort of geometric background image or something.

Also, think you could review my album? It's in my sig.

Edit: Also "Alternatively" is spelled wrong on the reviews page.
🙈 🙉 🙊
Last edited by entity0009 at Aug 6, 2011,
Keep in mind though, we will tell everyone you're a fraud if you don't give entity009's album more than 8/10.
I don't like the website. I suggest ditching the flash and make one that is easier to navigate and dynamic. You can get a much nicer website using css, php and javascript.
Ok guys, thanks very much for this, think I will have a blast at it now!
My Gear
Guitars:
Jackson DK2S
Amps:
Effects:
Quote by The_Casinator
Keep in mind though, we will tell everyone you're a fraud if you don't give entity009's album more than 8/10.

🙈 🙉 🙊
Hey, are you interested in co-opting a partner for review writing ? Name me an album and I could review it for you as a sample. I'll PM you my e-mail address.
Quote by adyhendrixc
Is it necessary for me to drink my own urine? No, but its sterile and I like the taste.
Your reviews are OK, but you repeat words or similar sounding phrases far too much and it jars considerably:

"...labelled as “electronic punk rockers” since the mid 90s they have created and introduced many to a unique blend of energy fuelled, brutal, in your face electronic music".

"earning the record for the fastest selling UK album it certainly proves popular. Spawning three hit singles, Firestarter, Breathe and Smack my Bitch Up, The Fat of the Land certainly provides fans with some great tracks".

There are plenty more examples.
I just read your Strokes review - you seem to use the same expressions over and over again, "going downhill", "original sound", etc. They're also a little cliche. I would suggest immersing yourself in more reviews and learning the language of the task, so you have more and better ways to say what you want to say.

EDIT - ^ well shit, ninja'd
Hahahahahahahahahah hahahaha har har har
Wow, thanks for all the feedback guys!

When I said I was having a blast at it I meant the improvments Krizzel suggested (just to avoid any possible confusion as a lot of posts came through at that time)

I am currently making a few changes to the website then will set out to do the reviews that have been requested Will let you all know when they are online and such

Also, thanks entity for pointing out the spelling mistake, will sort it out soon
My Gear
Guitars:
Jackson DK2S
Amps:
Effects:
Last edited by parsons19 at Aug 6, 2011,
Tbh, I really don't like the Track by Track style of your reviews. It makes the reviews seem formulaic and uncreative and makes it a bit tiresome to read. I prefer reviews that give a general impression of the album, maybe mentioning standout or notably poor tracks but not talking about every one specifically.

Also, the first paragraph where you introduce the band seems pretty unecessary. I know who The Strokes, The Progidy etc. are, I don't really need you to tell me. And if you have to keep this bit, shorten it and make it sound less like a copy-paste from wikipedia.

Your reviews are pretty good, you describe the music competently, but they're a little dull. I think losing the Track by Track structure should help with this.

Also, a good technique to use is comparrisons to other acts. You need a way of communicating what a record sound like to the reader and often a simple "sounds like X but with more X" is the most effecient way to do this, especially as lots of your readers won't be musicians.
Wicked, thanks for the tips man Will put them to good use

EDIT: Have updated the site. New section under reviews
My Gear
Guitars:
Jackson DK2S
Amps:
Effects:
Last edited by parsons19 at Aug 6, 2011,
3 new reviews online today!

one of those being Vendetta V Check it out

Also entity's review will arrive in a day or two!
My Gear
Guitars:
Jackson DK2S
Amps:
Effects:
Last edited by parsons19 at Aug 7, 2011,
You can review my band, when I release a EP.

It will be soon.

It will be amazing.

I seriously have over 50 tracks I've never released to anyone so I should probably get going on that.
Ok guys, working on a few reviews right now but will get them done in a few days
My Gear
Guitars:
Jackson DK2S
Amps:
Effects:
Sorry for double post!

Got 6 new reviews on, 3 being reviews requested here on UG.

Landforge, Mr Tumnus and N.Moss. Your reviews are up !
My Gear
Guitars:
Jackson DK2S
Amps:
Effects:
Your review

Edit: Also another consideration which came to me while browsing the other reviews, maybe have the name of the album and the artist pop up when you hover over the album images in the latest reviews section?
🙈 🙉 🙊
Last edited by entity0009 at Aug 9, 2011,
Glad you like it man

And thats a neat idea! I will work on it soon, or an alternative at least
My Gear
Guitars:
Jackson DK2S
Amps:
Effects:
Hey again everyone,

Just thought I would bump this up. Got a few new reviews on, got some new ones coming up to!

Anyone else want their album or EP reviewed? Let me know and I will put it on a list ready to review!
My Gear
Guitars:
Jackson DK2S
Amps:
Effects: