Hey UG.
Recently i said to myself, go learn those damned Pinch Harmonics.
So i sat down for a hour or so, and finally got my first pinch harmonic. I found that i had to angle my wrist/thumb differently to get it.
The problem is, that i practiced these pinch harmonics on the lowest string. So when i try to do a pinch harmonics on ex. the A string, its impossible not to hit the E string with my thumb. And muting isn't really a solution because im muting with the side of my thumb, so when its used for pinch harmonics, i can't mute.

The way im doing it, is to angle my thumb/wrist downwards and it's right beside the nail my thumb hits the string.
Anyone doing it the same way, and recalls this problem?
What did you do to get PH's on other strings than the low E?

Thanks in advance
Best Regards
KrisHQ
I never much practiced pinch harmonics, and yet at some point I just could do them, but I don't use them much, because for them to sound decent and good you most probably need "bruutalz" preset which includes a lot of drive which also creates dirt which I don't like

edit:

PH very much depend on your pickups, guitar action, your amp and everything tone-wise.
I nailed that technique after practising for like.. half a year. I can do pinch harmonics on any string, it isn't really hard.
TS, what I did, is simply practiced string-skipping more, practiced alternate picking and practiced down-picking. After a while, it's easy to not hit other strings.
Zeletros, I think some finnish guitarist has said that he has as much distortion as pinch harmonics need and he isn't really a metal guitarist.
Gear pics

Quote by Cathbard
Bugera cloning Blackstar is a scandal cloaked in a tragedy making love to a nightmare.

Last edited by Sakke at Aug 6, 2011,
Pinch harmonics are easy, you just need to use bridge pup, more treble and distortion. And the technique to do it. Practice, practice, practice, and you will be closer your target.
you can use your palm to mute the lower strings and your fretting hand to mute the string that's just below the fretted string (i.e. low E if you're fretting on A). Or you can also try to find way not to hit the lower strings with your nail
Quote by Sakke
I nailed that technique after practising for like.. half a year. I can do pinch harmonics on any string, it isn't really hard.
TS, what I did, is simply practiced string-skipping more, practiced alternate picking and practiced down-picking. After a while, it's easy to not hit other strings.
Zeletros, I think some finnish guitarist has said that he has as much distortion as pinch harmonics need and he isn't really a metal guitarist.

Distortion is only one of the few things I mentioned required.

On my 1st guitar, action was really high and the pickups were really weak, it was near-impossible to get decent PH out of em.
My problem is not to produce the Pinch Harmonic, i got that down fairly well.
The problem lays in the fact that im always hitting the other strings, if its not the low E.
I guess it's just a matter of time, patience and practice, i just wanted to make sure it was the right technique.
Quote by Zeletros

On my 1st guitar, action was really high and the pickups were really weak, it was near-impossible to get decent PH out of em.

Well, same with my first guitar.. The pickups really weren't that great, but I did get pinch harmonics out after I realized I need to raise the pickups (they were really low ) I also used a lot more distortion back then... than what I use now.
Gear pics

Quote by Cathbard
Bugera cloning Blackstar is a scandal cloaked in a tragedy making love to a nightmare.

Quote by KrisHQ

The way im doing it, is to angle my thumb/wrist downwards and it's right beside the nail my thumb hits the string.
Anyone doing it the same way, and recalls this problem?
What did you do to get PH's on other strings than the low E?

I'm not sure I'm getting your description, but if I'm not misunderstanding you, I did it the same as you for about a week or two when I first started playing around with pinch harmonics.

I got out of the habit of doing it like this because I was learning a song where there were palm mutes and pinch harmonics done at a speed that I wasn't accustomed to at that time.

Why not just do it the correct way? I think this could hinder your playing (once again, I feel I might be misunderstanding your description).
Quote by Zeletros

Challenge accepted.

I can do audible pinch harmonics unplugged.

I tend to do pinch harmonics a bit differently on the low E-string. I practised pinch harmonics on the G-string which I find most responsive for them.
E:-6
B:-0
G:-5
D:-6
A:-0
E:-3
Picks also play a role, I find Jazz 3's the best, maybe a Jazz 3XL, but I love them to bits..Makes way easier to pinch.
Quote by luxeion
i keep asking my dad for wood. but he keeps getting annoyed (he's working on a house). and i'm too young to go outside.