Page 1 of 2
Watching an Avenged Sevenfold video the other day. I'm not too keen on the band, but it was just on in the background. I couldn't help but think that their lead guitarist seems to be very similar to Slash in quite a lot of ways, both playing and fashion.

Any musicians you think are really similar to older musicians?

Inb4 me not mentioning any musicians in my post.
Quote by WholeLottaIzzy
Watching an Avenged Sevenfold video the other day. I'm not too keen on the band, but it was just on in the background. I couldn't help but think that their lead guitarist seems to be very similar to Slash in quite a lot of ways, both playing and fashion.

Sergio 'Checo' Perez 2013 Formula One World Drivers Champion
Quote by WholeLottaIzzy

Troll?

edit:

Last edited by Zeletros at Aug 6, 2011,

DON'T MAKE ME DESTROY YOU!

TURN OFF YOUR MIND RELAX AND FLOAT DOWNSTREAM

Quote by Scumbag1792
My God, this must be the smartest/greatest guy ever.
Oh, because you disagree, I'm trolling. Personal opinion. They both from what I saw of Gates, use a lot of bends in their playing, their phrasing seems pretty similar. The video I saw was Dear God.
I'm pretty sure Synyster was supposed to look like Slash in that video, a sort of homage.
Quote by vagelier
Nothing is more arousing for girls than a man who claims that he doesn't have worms - and can prove it with conclusive evidence.

Black
Then
White are
All I see
In my infancy
Red and yellow then came to be
Reaching out to me.
Lets me see.
Quote by WholeLottaIzzy
Oh, because you disagree, I'm trolling. Personal opinion. They both from what I saw of Gates, use a lot of bends in their playing, their phrasing seems pretty similar. The video I saw was Dear God.

Sergio 'Checo' Perez 2013 Formula One World Drivers Champion
I'll agree with wholelottaizzy there. The entire band are juge fans of guns n roses, and gates does have certain aspects which reminds me of slash.
I don't like people like you, whenever a person is trying to be original you just say he's a copycat of some famous guy who done it before, even if that person never even heard of him.
I actually think that some songs from a7x do seem g'n'r influenced. So I can see where TS is coming from. For example, listen to seize the day.
However, I think the purpose of this thread is silly. Most musicians are there own entities and shouldn't live in the shadow of other bands.
I say most as there are exceptions such as oasis trying to be the beatles
RIP Gooze

cats
Quote by Zeletros
I don't like people like you, whenever a person is trying to be original you just say he's a copycat of some famous guy who done it before, even if that person never even heard of him.

I did not say he's a copycat. His style just seems similar. It's called influence. Like other people have said, apparently everyone in the band are GnR fans. If that's true, it'd make sense that sometimes Gates' playing might include some Slash-esque licks.

Tried finding a better picture but eh..
To be vulnerable is needed most of all, if you intend to truly fall apart.

Quote by due 07
You have no idea how much I don't want to tell stories about my mother's vaginal slime on the internet.

I make music sometimes.
Quote by -xCaMRocKx-

Quote by Athabasca
My ex did the same. Cheated on me and then acted like I'd given her sister a facial. Women are retarded.
Quote by WholeLottaIzzy
I did not say he's a copycat. His style just seems similar. It's called influence. Like other people have said, apparently everyone in the band are GnR fans. If that's true, it'd make sense that sometimes Gates' playing might include some Slash-esque licks.

Music and all that applies to it IS NOT invented, it is discovered, there's no such thing as Slash-esque licks, the fact that he may have made it popular, in no way benefits him as an inventor or a genius, or anything of that sort.
Last.fm

"Music is a language of emotion. It informs our words with FEELING, and doesn't need to be learned.. It's visceral and innate" - Jason Silva
Quote by Zeletros
Music and all that applies to it IS NOT invented, it is discovered, there's no such thing as Slash-esque licks, the fact that he may have made it popular, in no way benefits him as an inventor or a genius, or anything of that sort.

Oh come on. Now you're being pathetic. It's a lick that is in the style that Slash helped make popular and something he would play in nearly every solo, thus making it a Slash-esque lick. It's just a different way of saying a lick in the style of Slash.
Quote by SaintsofNowhere
Justin Beiber - Kurt Cobain

Kurt Cobain's wall has more brains than Justin Bieber...
Quote by SaintsofNowhere

So he's gonna start doing heroin and kill himself soon?
To be vulnerable is needed most of all, if you intend to truly fall apart.

Quote by due 07
You have no idea how much I don't want to tell stories about my mother's vaginal slime on the internet.

I make music sometimes.
Quote by WholeLottaIzzy
Oh come on. Now you're being pathetic. It's a lick that is in the style that Slash helped make popular and something he would play in nearly every solo, thus making it a Slash-esque lick. It's just a different way of saying a lick in the style of Slash.

No it does not make it his lick.
Quote by Zeletros
No it does not make it his lick.

Excellent, so we can pirate his music then since he doesn't own his own licks...
By your logic then nothing is invented and any time spent hard at work fashioning riffs and licks doesn't count for anything since it was just discovered and not made by anyone...

Most licks are unique despite having obvious influences and slash definitely has his own signature style. He didn't invent bends but he did invent a certain combination of techniques and phrasing that you can hear in other peoples music...
isn't Syn Gates a big Slash fan and influenced by him anyways?
There's no such thing; there never was. Where I am going you cannot follow me now.
Quote by matt154
Excellent, so we can pirate his music then since he doesn't own his own licks...
By your logic then nothing is invented and any time spent hard at work fashioning riffs and licks doesn't count for anything since it was just discovered and not made by anyone...

Most licks are unique despite having obvious influences and slash definitely has his own signature style. He didn't invent bends but he did invent a certain combination of techniques and phrasing that you can hear in other peoples music...

He didn't invent them, he was merely the first popular figure to DISCOVER those and use fluently.
Whatever is said, you cant deny Slash didnt make their utilization his signature style and therefore made them popular by way of his popularity as a guitar player.
And then if you're influenced by him its likely you'd pick up some of that style within you're on playing, but they are definitely "slash" style licks. Its the same as there are A7X style licks, and gary moore licks or eric clapton or page style licks. Its the style of licks they made their signature.

Personally i dont see a whole lot of slash in his playing, but in his fashion i do. But if you take some of the blues rock guitarists, you see quite a bit of hendrix in them. Aka john mayer.
Always waiting for that bit of inspiration.
Last edited by W4T3V3R at Aug 6, 2011,
no one is an equivalent of anyone else, unless you're emulating someone you idolize. in which case, you suck.
mugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmug
Quote by jakesmellspoo
no one is an equivalent of anyone else, unless you're emulating someone you idolize. in which case, you suck.

Zeletros, you have completely missed the point of this thread.
My band, Escher
My progressive rock project, Mosaic

Quote by Lappo
clearly, the goal is to convert every thread into a discussion about BTBAM

BTBAM IS ALWAYS RELEVANT
Quote by GodofCheesecake

U jelly?
...No? What? That doesn't even make sense, dude.
My band, Escher
My progressive rock project, Mosaic

Quote by Lappo
clearly, the goal is to convert every thread into a discussion about BTBAM

BTBAM IS ALWAYS RELEVANT
Quote by GodofCheesecake

you missed the point of my post.
mugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmug
Quote by SaintsofNowhere

Bieber's too clean cut to be Cobain
2013 #5 Uger
2012 #7 Uger

Quote by jetfuel495
Jesus, Horsedick, you are my hero

Quote by JayT44
don't worry guys his girlfriend is black, she said it was okay for him to say that.

Stalk Me

Shitty Covers

Original Music

Lastfm
Quote by GodofCheesecake
...No? What? That doesn't even make sense, dude.

U mad bro?
Zeletros, WTF

They say Matt Bellamy is like a modern day Hendrix but I think he perhaps plays more like Brian May.
Quote by Zeletros
U mad bro?

I'm sorry but after reading this thread I must say something.

1st) Yea, you completely missed the point of the thread, which was to compare similar musicians from different times, you just whined and got defensive about nothing.
2nd) So, by your logic,they shouldn't be called Slash-esque licks because he didn't invent them, he discovered them. When people discover something, it's usually, if not always named after them (i.e. Einstein's theory, Philadelphia, bad examples), therefore, not only should they be called "Slash-esque"licks, but now they shall be called Slash riffs, since in your words he discovered them.
Also, no one ever said Gates copied Slash, just that it shows that Slash influenced him. Just felt like you implied that.
DAS BOOT!!!
Quote by The Madcap
John Williams and Gustav Holst.

Haha I see what you did there! I hate John Williams, but he has more grammy's than I will ever probably get so whatever.
Quote by axethrower13
But you only die once, so you may as well experience it to the fullest.

Quote by ozzyismetal
Get her a goat. Bitches love goats.

Quote by Weaponxclaws
Plus, naturally I scream satanic rituals while unleashing the demon. It's a marvelous resurrection.
Quote by JD2k9
Justin Bieber = Elton John

Bieber wishes he had an ounce of Elton's talent.
fear is the mindkiller

CANUCKS
Page 1 of 2