Hey, I'm interested in selling off some of my gear to buy a small amp for recording. I currently use a crate gfx 65, but it's not doing the trick for me and my half-stack's too impractical for home recording. Are there a series of small roland or fender amps with low wattage that have very good gain at lower volumes that would sound good for thrash metal? My price range is $200 CAN for an amp like this. The guitars I use are a BC Rich NJ series Warlock with a passive gfs power rail bridge and stock neck and an ibanez srz 520, all stock passive pups. (I know passive aren't stereo-typically metal but I actually dig the sound and can't afford nice active ones).

Thanks in advance for any recommendations, or for pointing me to pre-existing threads that I was too impatient to seek out!
Check out the Blackstat HT-5
MY GEAR:
PRS SE Custom 24
Jackson DKA7
Gibson Explorer
MESA/Boogie Express 5:25
BOSS GT-100

BOSS TU-2
Dunlop Cry Baby Classic
BOSS NS-2
VOX Joe Satriani Ice 9 OD Pedal
VOX Joe Satriani Time Machine Delay Pedal
Ernie Ball Strings
V Picks
I heard good things about Blackstar amps as the person above me said.
also, i can get some good (trash)metal tones out of my Fender Mustang amp, so you might want to check these out.
Quote by fretjuuh
I heard good things about Blackstar amps as the person above me said.
also, i can get some good (trash)metal tones out of my Fender Mustang amp, so you might want to check these out.

Thanks guys, I've also heard some good things about blackstar but never checked them out. And my brother has a mustang, it was kind of cool that you have all those pre-set tones but I thought the distortion sounded kind of fake. But I was probably drunk and should check it out again.
Quote by Leather Sleeves
Thanks guys, I've also heard some good things about blackstar but never checked them out. And my brother has a mustang, it was kind of cool that you have all those pre-set tones but I thought the distortion sounded kind of fake. But I was probably drunk and should check it out again.

i don't know about the mustang's sounding fake (never heard a tube amp lol) but that might be because of older firmware on the amp or the speaker difference between mustang 1,2 and 3,4 versions. however, i like the distorted tones i get from the amp.

i play a lot of trash metal like old metallica and I've got a good tone for that from the fender site. but, you should check it out before buying it.
The HT-5 sounds right up your alley. It does use some solid state components to achieve the amount of distortion it has though, but that shouldn't really be a problem if you're not a purist tube snob. Some guys on this board get really wound up about that. But I suppose their problem's more with Blackstar's marketing division.
I've never actually used tube but when I looked the ht 5 up it sounded like they we're sayin it was a tube amp. Doesn't really matter to me though as long as its got a good crunchy distortion. It does look like it might be hard to track one of them down though, but I know the mustang's pretty common.
Quote by Leather Sleeves
I've never actually used tube but when I looked the ht 5 up it sounded like they we're sayin it was a tube amp. Doesn't really matter to me though as long as its got a good crunchy distortion. It does look like it might be hard to track one of them down though, but I know the mustang's pretty common.

If you want really low volumes, though...I was going to recommend the HT5's little brother, the HT1. It just came out. It's much less expensive (the HT5 is way out of your price range). The HT5's aren't that hard to find, if you have anything like a Guitar Center near you they'll usually have one kicking around.It really does have a "good crunchy distortion" (something I can't really say for the Mustang).

And speaking of tube purism...a lot of metal guitarists put solid-state gain pedals in front of tube amps (Ibanes TS9, for example) to tighten up the distortion a bit. All-tube distortion can easily be too flabby-sounding for most styles of metal.
Gibson ES-137C
Parker P8EN
AC Custom Special P Bass