My favourite style of playing is slow solos, like the Godfather theme by Slash. It's simple, you have room for improvising, and it sounds great without needing fast or complicated styles. Are there any songs like it I could try?
People Get Ready - Jeff Beck
Current Gear:
2010 American Fender Stratocaster Deluxe White
Oakridge Resonator
Maton Acoustic
Epiphone Les Paul Standard
Fender Acoustic

Peavey Envoy 110(40 watt)
Usually people who can't play fast say that and settle for slow stuff.

Nothing else matters by metallica is pretty slow
Quote by Zeletros

Dumbest shit ive heard for a long time.

Play some classic blues tones, like everything from Disreali Gears by Cream or PF stuff
Quote by Zeletros

Nothing else matters by metallica is pretty slow

Your stupid makes my brain hurt. Seriously, it's people like you who make others believe that false dichotomy of speed or emotion.
Quote by Geldin
Your stupid makes my brain hurt. Seriously, it's people like you who make others believe that false dichotomy of speed or emotion.

I don't make others believe that
Quote by Zeletros

Congratulations, you just won my award of the day for stupidest comment.

TS, if you want a couple of slow solos check out some Pink Floyd, Bon jovi.
I believe some songs by journey and europe also got pretty slow solos, example. Carrie by europe is a nice solo.

Would help if you told us what kind of music you where into though.

EDIT: Oh well you said you liked Slash. Check out some of the 80's glam stuff. Some solos are really fast but i believe there are quite alot slow ones if you´d like. As said, start checking out some journey and europe. Their great.
Last edited by Sickz at Aug 6, 2011,
Quote by Zeletros

Ignore this, there's nothing wrong with playing slowly.

Check out ''Deep Purple - When a Blind Man Cries''. Awesome song and solo, quite slow and melodic.
Quote by Geldin

it's not like it's completely untrue. i mean, yeah, those of us who really invest in it knowing that both are possible are better off for it, but a lot of that is true -- a lot of fast players have little/no emotion and a lot of emotion players have little/poor technique. and i'm not talking about professional guitarists alone - i'm talking about guitarists as a whole.

whether it's because those guitarists believe that it's only one way or another is a different matter.

go pink floyd, TS.
Anfangen ist leicht, Beharren eine Kunst.
Quote by AeolianWolf
it's not like it's completely untrue. i mean, yeah, those of us who really invest in it knowing that both are possible are better off for it, but a lot of that is true -- a lot of fast players have little/no emotion and a lot of emotion players have little/poor technique. and i'm not talking about professional guitarists alone - i'm talking about guitarists as a whole.

whether it's because those guitarists believe that it's only one way or another is a different matter.

go pink floyd, TS.

Since when was emotion objective?
E:-6
B:-0
G:-5
D:-6
A:-0
E:-3
Quote by Flibo
Since when was emotion objective?

since guitarists started becoming unable to produce it, once everything became about technique. though i'm not going to defend one side nor the other - in my opinion, a musician who only has one or the other isn't up to par.

all i know is that i've seen many guitarists who, due to poor training, could do nothing but shred mindlessly.
Anfangen ist leicht, Beharren eine Kunst.
PINK FLOYD! especially Comfortably Numb. David Gilmore is freakin' amazing. "Love song" by Tesla maybe? The slow part of "Free Bird". If you like slash, try "Don't Cry" by G n R.
George Harrison's work on "Let it Be" is pretty great.

Clapton's solo on "While My Guitar Gently Weeps" is widely considered one of the greatest guitar solos of all time. And since he could clearly play pretty fast when he wanted to (Layla, Why Does Love Got to Be So Sad, Crossroads, etc) it gives the lie to Zeletros's amazingly ignorant comment.

Duane Allman is another guy who's great to study if you want to focus on the various qualities that make slower guitar solos great. Check out his work on "Blue Sky" - his is the first of the two long solos (they synch up on one lick, and then Dicky Betts takes over).

Hendrix's "Little Wing" is a great progression to work on slower, lyrical solos with.

Check out Zeppelin's "Ten Years Gone" - a lot of Page's best stuff is slower.

Santana - "Samba Pa Ti" is another great slower tune.

That should keep you busy for a while.
Wow! I'm surprised nobody mentioned Iron Maiden yet.

They have a lot of excellent solos that are a mix between slow and fast. My favorite ones to play are "Afraid to Shoot Strangers" and "No Prayer for the Dying."

You can expand on the main riffs as well.