Hi again,

So after my Digitech RP350 died on me during a gig recently, I decided to get some of my old individual pedals out of the loft and buy some new ones to accompany them. Since I have no experience with individual pedals, I have no idea which order they should be placed in.

I have a Tonerider chorus, Tonerider compressor, Digitech Valve Distortion, unbranded true bypass tuner and a BOSS noise suppressor. Any help would be greatly appreciated as always! Thanks in advance.
Quote by Jason
Ancient scrolls predict that when Fred Durst and Lil Wayne perform a guitar duet while touching the tips of their penises together, the gates of hell will open and swallow us all.

Hehe.

I usually put a tuner then noise suppressor first. The suppressor can ruin the sound of your other pedals if after them. Next would go compressor(though this CAN go before the noise gate if it's really bad) Chorus, then distortion.

This is completely optional though, people always do it their own way.
Largest to smallest always sounds best
Call me Dom
Quote by Dmaj7
I don't know how to count canadians, the metric system is hard

Quote by gregs1020
well if lbj pokes his head in here and there's no nuts shit's gonna go doooooooowwwwwwwwwn.

{Pedalboard Thread Native: The Muffin Man}
put a tuner first in line, any modulation effects (chorus, flange, phaser etc...), wah, then your distortion. very very last in line should be the noise suppressor. the majority of the noise comes from a line of pedals. so by putting it at the end it is quieting up all the pedals before the signal hits the amp. you can swap the order of wah/distortion in order to get different sounds but i prefer my wah first.

but in the end a lot of it comes down to opinion because the sound will be different depending on where in the change your pedals are. mess around with it and see what you like
Quote by andrerist
put a tuner first in line, any modulation effects (chorus, flange, phaser etc...), wah, then your distortion. very very last in line should be the noise suppressor. the majority of the noise comes from a line of pedals. so by putting it at the end it is quieting up all the pedals before the signal hits the amp. you can swap the order of wah/distortion in order to get different sounds but i prefer my wah first.

but in the end a lot of it comes down to opinion because the sound will be different depending on where in the change your pedals are. mess around with it and see what you like

In the words of darkwolf291, No, you are completely wrong.
It should go Tuner > Wah > Compressor Distortion > Modulation > Noise Gate > Delay > Reverb.
Noise gate goes after Distortions and Modulations because some of them can be noisy. It NEVER goes last if using delays because it can gate the trails.
Quote by Carmel
Lucky I'm a girl and I don't give a damn.

Quote by darkwolf291

I've seen her kill a man with a spork and a rubber band
No one is safe from the wrath of Batgirl!
good thing he isn't using a noise gate then huh? there is a huge difference between a gate and a suppressor
Quote by andrerist
good thing he isn't using a noise gate then huh? there is a huge difference between a gate and a suppressor

Gate or suppressor it doesn't matter, it still goes before the delay and reverb.
Quote by Carmel
Lucky I'm a girl and I don't give a damn.

Quote by darkwolf291

I've seen her kill a man with a spork and a rubber band
No one is safe from the wrath of Batgirl!
offthewall91 is correct. That's the generally accepted rule based on sound logic. Once you have that base, try things out yourself, you can get cool effects. Welcome to the Jungle's Intro is a Tape Delay running into a distorted Marshall amplifier *shrug* Sometimes breaking the rules works, but try the widely accepted order first, and then start monkeying around with it to see what results you can yield.
Epi Explorer
Squier Vintage Modified Tele

Dunlop Crybaby (modded)
TC Polytune
Marshall ED-1
Vexter Box of Rock
Harmonic Jerkulator (home made)
Boss CE-3
Line6 Echo Park

Modified Traynor YCV40
Fender Super Champ XD
i run my pedals wah -> distortion -> vibe -> phaser -> delay
Call me Chris
Quote by jimihendrix6699
had a blast until the person in front of me whipped out his dick and started pissing all over the floor..

Ducks and guitars or fish and guitars. I lead a simple existence
what's your amp? does it have a loop?

how's the tonerider compressor? (maybe i asked you this before )
I'm an idiot and I accidentally clicked the "Remove all subscriptions" button. If it seems like I'm ignoring you, I'm not, I'm just no longer subscribed to the thread. If you quote me or do the @user thing at me, hopefully it'll notify me through my notifications and I'll get back to you.
Quote by K33nbl4d3
I'll have to put the Classic T models on my to-try list. Shame the finish options there are Anachronism Gold, Nuclear Waste and Aged Clown, because in principle the plaintop is right up my alley.

Quote by K33nbl4d3
Presumably because the CCF (Combined Corksniffing Forces) of MLP and Gibson forums would rise up against them, plunging the land into war.

Quote by T00DEEPBLUE
Et tu, br00tz?
Quote by offthewall91
In the words of darkwolf291, No, you are completely wrong.
It should go Tuner > Wah > Compressor Distortion > Modulation > Noise Gate > Delay > Reverb.
Noise gate goes after Distortions and Modulations because some of them can be noisy. It NEVER goes last if using delays because it can gate the trails.

Agreed unless he has a effects loop then it would be
Tuner > Wah > Compressor Distortion > Noise Gate >amp

loopout>Modulation >> Delay > Reverb>loop in>
why are you people going left to right? shouldn't you read effects right to left? you know, input to output.

off the wall said everything the best.

typically i run it as:
delay>reverb>noise gate>compressor>fuzz>distortion>clean boost>modulations>>tuner (read this from right to left)

with my new pod500 in the very front, i use the pod right now primarily as a cabinet and pre-amp, as well as a eg since i'm going straight to a p/a

however, i'm probably going to be dropping the modulations in my pedal board, and using the modulation in the pod, but i don't know how it will work yet anywho, use that golden rule offthewall suggested, and then make some adjustments from there.

edit: i forgot. i also use a a/b selector so i can bypass my board and go straight to the pod. i put that right after the tuner. i do that because i have like a song that i use 2 reverbs and 3 delays, plus a phaser, so i bypass my chain and then press one of the presets in the pod.
i am loving this pod.
Last edited by 00_hns_00 at Aug 6, 2011,
Quote by 00_hns_00
why are you people going left to right? shouldn't you read effects right to left? you know, input to output.

typically i run it as:
delay>reverb>noise gate>compressor>fuzz>distortion>clean boost>modulations>>tuner (read this from right to left)

with my new pod500 in the very front, i use the pod right now primarily as a cabinet and pre-amp, as well as a eg since i'm going straight to a p/a

however, i'm probably going to be dropping the modulations in my pedal board, and using the modulation in the pod, but i don't know how it will work yet anywho, use that golden rule offthewall suggested, and then make some adjustments from there.

edit: i forgot. i also use a a/b selector so i can bypass my board and go straight to the pod. i put that right after the tuner. i do that because i have like a song that i use 2 reverbs and 3 delays, plus a phaser, so i bypass my chain and then press one of the presets in the pod.
i am loving this pod.
Surely you could have put the arrows in the other direction for clarity :p
Epiphone Les Paul Plus Top
Jet City JCA5212RC (SLO Modded)
Ibanez WD7 Wah
Mad Professor Sweet Honey Overdrive
TC Electronic Flashback Triple Delay
TC Electronic Trinity Reverb
Quote by GABarrie
Surely you could have put the arrows in the other direction for clarity :p

lol, i read it as right to left, like paul gilbert said in an interview. :P
Quote by 00_hns_00

typically i run it as:

i am loving this pod.

What guitar do you play? I have never known anyone use a boost after modulations.
Quote by Dave_Mc
what's your amp? does it have a loop?

how's the tonerider compressor? (maybe i asked you this before )

Amp is a Crate GX-65, bought it for £60 used! Actually a pretty nice amp. Cleans are pretty decent and distortion is okay (got a Digitech SC-2, so everything sounds real nice) No loop unfortunately.

The compressor is great, really versatile, well built, great sounds, brilliant for the money. Really happy with it.
Quote by Jason
Ancient scrolls predict that when Fred Durst and Lil Wayne perform a guitar duet while touching the tips of their penises together, the gates of hell will open and swallow us all.

Hehe.

My setup, take from it what you will...
Roughly...
Tuner > Noise Gate In > Noise Gate Send > Wah > Compressor, All my dirt and EQ > Noise Gate Return > Noise Gate Out > Harmonizer > Delay > Phase > Chorus> Delay > Amp
My Amp has Reverb.

As has been said before, putting a noise gate after modulation makes delays and such not so good.
Quote by CharlieSlyster
Amp is a Crate GX-65, bought it for £60 used! Actually a pretty nice amp. Cleans are pretty decent and distortion is okay (got a Digitech SC-2, so everything sounds real nice) No loop unfortunately.

The compressor is great, really versatile, well built, great sounds, brilliant for the money. Really happy with it.

thanks

if you have no loop i guess compressor, distortion, and chorus (in that order) all in the ns2's loop (the chorus doesn't necessarily need to be in the loop of the ns2, try it both places to see).

I guess the tuner would go first in the chain?
I'm an idiot and I accidentally clicked the "Remove all subscriptions" button. If it seems like I'm ignoring you, I'm not, I'm just no longer subscribed to the thread. If you quote me or do the @user thing at me, hopefully it'll notify me through my notifications and I'll get back to you.
Quote by K33nbl4d3
I'll have to put the Classic T models on my to-try list. Shame the finish options there are Anachronism Gold, Nuclear Waste and Aged Clown, because in principle the plaintop is right up my alley.

Quote by K33nbl4d3
Presumably because the CCF (Combined Corksniffing Forces) of MLP and Gibson forums would rise up against them, plunging the land into war.

Quote by T00DEEPBLUE
Et tu, br00tz?