so i understood circle progression pratice it out, all it sounds like is one big harmony of chords, so im gueseing this really helps rhytm guitarist? but when it comes to common chord progression, it tells me somthing a bitt different which is confusing i mean ive pratice it too, just sounds like a way to pick out 5 or 4 chords for a song.

but my question is lets say im using the common chord progression so if i start at I, i can pick any chord and then i used circle progression till i get back to I, right?
Quote by harvestkingx
but my question is lets say im using the common chord progression so if i start at I, i can pick any chord and then i used circle progression till i get back to I, right?

I'm having trouble understanding your question, but yes. This is what a ii - V - I is.
Nothing that is worthwhile in life will ever come easy.
i think you answered but just to make, sure, lets say i start on I, i can picky any chord, as long as use the circle proggresion to get back to I chord iam good right?
Basically. I mean you have to make a chord progression that makes sense and is as pleasing your ear (note I said your because not every enjoys a I-bV) as possible. Check out some online resources that illustrate how chords naturally lead in others. But your chord progression must always land on the tonic (I) chord at the end of a piece. It's bascially your home key and as you were going about your journey (i.e. the other chords), you ultimately want to return home.
We're all alright!
Last edited by Mathedes at Aug 6, 2011,
Quote by harvestkingx
so i understood circle progression pratice it out, all it sounds like is one big harmony of chords, so im gueseing this really helps rhytm guitarist? but when it comes to common chord progression, it tells me somthing a bitt different which is confusing i mean ive pratice it too, just sounds like a way to pick out 5 or 4 chords for a song.

What do you mean, by a Circle Progressions, you mean backcycling the Circle of 4ths/5ths in order?

If so, are you getting into Jazz?

If not, it's a waste of time IMO, in terms of learning priorities.

Best,

Sean
i can see where your coming from, but as sean said, it's impractical to put that at the top of your priorities. learn how chords are made and the roman numerals for them in major and minor keys. i think this is what your looking for.
Quote by gavk
i can see where your coming from, but as sean said, it's impractical to put that at the top of your priorities. learn how chords are made and the roman numerals for them in major and minor keys. i think this is what your looking for.

lol dont worry its not , just reading this on music theory.net, im almost done, so might aswell learn everything. I dont know how many chords there are but i know how to construct most chords i belive expect for sus2 and sus4 , mainly cause i dont know what there ment for.

ps: i not looking to actually be a rythm gutiarist, i just want to know how to do it, just in case lol
Last edited by harvestkingx at Aug 6, 2011,
as sean said, unless your playing a very specific set of music, your not going to need the circle of 5ths, and no offence but if your not sure how to make sus2 or sus 4 chords, i don't think you'll be playing that type of music. learn how many scales there are, about sus chords and about how to properly build chords, not just a major chords is this this and this, but how these are derived from the scale. that will help immeasurably more, i swear!!
Quote by gavk
as sean said, unless your playing a very specific set of music, your not going to need the circle of 5ths, and no offence but if your not sure how to make sus2 or sus 4 chords, i don't think you'll be playing that type of music. learn how many scales there are, about sus chords and about how to properly build chords, not just a major chords is this this and this, but how these are derived from the scale. that will help immeasurably more, i swear!!

i know more then major chords, i know minor, dimished, augment, domiant 7th, major 7th, minor 7th, half dimished 7th, full diminshed 7ths, major 9ths, minor 9ths, domiant 9ths, major 6ths and minor 6ths. there are 11ths and 13ths, i havent really study those, but ill study those and sus4 and sus2, so is there anything iam missing that i havent mention? just wanting to make sure that there isnt anymore chords.

EDIT: lol i do believe lol i just wanted to know about it, but its all good.
Last edited by harvestkingx at Aug 6, 2011,
if your talking about the circle of 5ths the problem is that it will take you an absolute age to get back if you just simply work through them, you'll literally have to modulate 13 times just to get back to your home key!
Quote by gavk
if your talking about the circle of 5ths the problem is that it will take you an absolute age to get back if you just simply work through them, you'll literally have to modulate 13 times just to get back to your home key!

ah ok ty lol

now if you mind me i got some sus4 chords to study
Quote by harvestkingx
i know more then major chords, i know minor, dimished, augment, domiant 7th, major 7th, minor 7th, half dimished 7th, full diminshed 7ths, major 9ths, minor 9ths, domiant 9ths, major 6ths and minor 6ths. there are 11ths and 13ths, i havent really study those, but ill study those and sus4 and sus2, so is there anything iam missing that i havent mention? just wanting to make sure that there isnt anymore chords.

can you play them all in multiple voicings? knowing *of* them does you little good (even if you can recognize them in sheet music).
Anfangen ist leicht, Beharren eine Kunst.
Quote by harvestkingx

Sorry to double post, but to answer your question:

Circle Progressions are just chord progressions that move up a fourth, or down a fifth. Common Chord Progressions are just progressions that are used often. At the part in Ricci Adam's Common Chord Progression lesson, he is using circle progressions as a cadence to the goal of the scale.
Quote by AeolianWolf
can you play them all in multiple voicings? knowing *of* them does you little good (even if you can recognize them in sheet music).

i know atleast more then one for each, more some then others, thats actually what iam doing lol, finding more voicings. sadly i cat read music yet, im gettin classical lessons in the fall so ill learn there.