I'm not sure if this is the right section but here goes:

I normally play in D standard (down 1 whole step.) I use 11/52 D'darrio strings. Lately, I've been messing around in drop-C, and wondering about maybe dropping the whole thing down to C standard. However, I've noticed the low E string gets a little floppy when in drop C, and I tend to play better with a little more tension.

But would I need to use even larger strings for that? What do people tend to use for C standard/Drop B? I've also been toying with the idea of a second guitar strictly setup for low tunings/death metal, as I do like the tone of D standard for a lot of stuff I play, but I don't want to tune back and forth that much.
Atmospheric dark metal w/ black and death metal influences:
(My Soundcloud page):

Pestilential Flood
I used 10-52, then moved it up to 11-52. then 12-52, and now I'm rocking 13-56 like a real man. But still, I just like my strings a little stiffer, 13-56 would probably be more suited for Bb (which I'm currently in now, just for some covers) but still. Oh, all of them are on a 25.5" scale of course. hope it helps.
ಠ_ಠ
- Yes, My name is actually Terran -
- Not just a Starcraft fan -

Terran > Zerg and Protoss
A 12-54 set would be good.
Spin 'round carousel when your horse isn't screwed in.

My band:
Fractured Instinct
(For fans of Death/Groove/Prog Metal)

Ibanez RGA42E
Ibanez S420
LTD H-301
Ibanez RG520
Peavey Predator USA
Douglas Grendel 725
Line 6 Pod HD500X
Wow, maybe we setup differently, but that sounds ludicrously loose to me.

I like the Elixir Baritone set, myself, .12-.68.
i just strung up my D standard and Drop C guitar with D'darrio 12-60 gauge and its perfect for me, try that out, its more suited for Drop C than D standard tho
Quote by Wolffgang
Wow, maybe we setup differently, but that sounds ludicrously loose to me.

I like the Elixir Baritone set, myself, .12-.68.

Jesus christ, you must have a long neck or something, .16-68 is like...8 string territory. a 68 is for like A-G. whatever floats your boat though man,
ಠ_ಠ

I don't understand how some people use these ridiculously heavy gauges for tunings that aren't even that low. How do you even get them into your nut?
Spin 'round carousel when your horse isn't screwed in.

My band:
Fractured Instinct
(For fans of Death/Groove/Prog Metal)

Ibanez RGA42E
Ibanez S420
LTD H-301
Ibanez RG520
Peavey Predator USA
Douglas Grendel 725
Line 6 Pod HD500X
I know man, 68 for just a C is retarded, that would be like, unbendable, I couldnt do a pinch harmonic at all, trying to wiggle that would be impossible, but still, I like some stiffer strings, but there's stiff, and there's steel pole stiff.
ಠ_ಠ

I agree with the guy who siggested 12-54
Quote by Shinozoku
No, the guitar was built to play metal. Not pussy ass cowboy chords. They won't work on that guitar. Get a Gibson Hummingbird for that bullshit. .
UG'ers of Newfoundland
Skinny Top Heavy Bottomed work for me down to drop B. *shrug*
Quote by luxeion
i keep asking my dad for wood. but he keeps getting annoyed (he's working on a house). and i'm too young to go outside.

I was using 11-50 heavy core strings for drop B. Worked fine for me. Although for drop b I would rather have something a little heavier. Like 12-54
You can use string calculators to get an estimated tension,

On E standard, with 10-46s
E .010" PL == 15.28#
B, .013" PL == 14.49#
G, .017" PL == 15.61#
D, .026" NW == 17.34#
A,, .036" NW == 18.4#
E,, .046" NW == 16.47#
total == 97.59#
the fat E is 16.47pounds

So if you want similar tension as a 10-46 on standard tuning, you would probably want around 16-18pounds for your C.

Here's C with different string sizes:
C2 .052" NW == 13.06#
C2 .056" NW == 15.64#
C2 .060" NW == 18.07#

These calculations are on 24.75 scale
I'm using a mixed set of elixirs myself for Drop Bb tuning on a 24.75 scale guitar, I use 36 46 56 from 7 string set and 12 16 24w from 12-52 set.

C4 .012" PL == 13.86#
G3 .016" PL == 13.83#
E3b .024" NW == 16.68#
B2b .036" NW == 20.66#
F2 .046" NW == 18.49#
B1b .056" NW == 12.41#
total == 95.92#

Definitely not ideal, my Bb is quite floppy, but didn't want to spend on a fully custom set lol
Thinking of getting the 68 though, that would give me:
B1b .068" NW == 18.23#
I think Bjorn of In Flames uses 13-70 on his gibson lp custom, they tune C standard and drop Bb

Wolffgang, did you have to drill the tuner hole to fit the 68?

Note, the calculations aren't 100%, tension varies between manufacturers, etc..
Here's the calculator I'm using:
http://www.bangzero.org/stringtension/
Last edited by silic0sis at Aug 6, 2011,
^^^ what he said.
ಠ_ಠ

Quote by Offworld92
I don't understand how some people use these ridiculously heavy gauges for tunings that aren't even that low. How do you even get them into your nut?

It's ridiculous.

There's this OMG IM SO TROO AND USE HEAVYASS STRINGS, YOU SHOULD TOO OR FOREVER BE LABELED A NOOB attitude here on UG that doesn't make any sense to me.
Last edited by fixationdarknes at Aug 6, 2011,
Quote by fixationdarknes
It's ridiculous.

There's this OMG IM SO TROO AND USE HEAVYASS STRINGS, YOU SHOULD TOO OR FOREVER BE LABELED A NOOB attitude here on UG that doesn't make any sense to me.

When the **** did I say that?

I like the thick strings. I think they provide a better tone, especially for lower tunings, and allow you to attack the strings harder despite the inherent lack of tension in lower tunings. They don't feel especially tense to me. In fact, I'm surprised at how much movement I have in them, given the gauge. Maybe it's something to do with the way I got it set up, I don't know, but it works for me. They're a baritone set, and C-standard is only a semitone up from baritone tuning. The logic is there.

I was just suggesting something other than the various iterations of .1x-.5x; if TS doesn't like my suggestion, he/she is free not to use it, just sharing knowledge. I didn't accuse anyone of being a n00b. SRV used insanely heavy strings, Satch uses insanely light strings, both amazing guitarists. Chill.