i have been drooling over the Squier Vintage Modified Mustang Bass but i am used to full size basses. ive played a violin bass before and didnt like the sound or the feel of the neck, it was bulky, but i cant remember how it felt playing a short scale bass. And i went to a local music store but they didnt have one i could play on either... so how much difference is there (please dont quote specs, i know 34" vs 30") i am talking about feel and playing. example: does a ss bass feel like holding a guitar (neck length wise)? cause after playing bass for an hour and then picking up my electric it feels wimpy and short. compared to a p bass would the nut of the mustang be around the 2nd, 3rd, 5th fret of the p bass? anyone have any input?

sorry for sounding like i have no clue what im talking about but.....
I recently got my hands on a free shortscale Sg, and I have to say that I really enjoy playing it. It's the first short scale I've ever owned, out of 8 other 34/35 scale basses.

There isn't a fantastic difference to it to be honest, you just occassionally miss a fret when you're playing higher up and not concentrating, but that sorts itself out with familiarity.
I've never had a problem with the feel of a neck on one (other than the shape of the violin necks as you mentioned) they play fast and any awkwardness you get while hunkering down on the first 5 frets would probably go away after playing it a little bit.

I've always steered clear because of the feel of the strings and a general unhappiness with the sounds I get (also probably a mental hangup on them feeling less hefty and more toy-like). If you can get past that stuff, it's always fun to have a really different bass in your line up.
awesome. thanks for the comments. im definitely going to try to get my hands on one now to see if i like it.
Aside from my active 5 string.... i'm only playing shortscales these days. I have three, and they each sound, feel, and play vastly different than eachother.

All 30" scale basses are not the same... assuming so is blatent bass-ism
"Punk Rock should mean freedom, liking and accepting anything that you like, as sloppy as you want, as long as it's good and has passion."